Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: sintec on 29 January, 2018, 08:48:04 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 January, 2018, 07:20:00 PM
FWIW, I've asked about switching subs, having seen that covers volume. No reply as yet, sadly.

Has the covers volume even been confirmed as a premium sub thing?
Not yet, no. Hard to see where else it'd fit in. I've asked for confirmation about that too.

Dandontdare

Quote from: sintec on 29 January, 2018, 06:46:37 PM
I quite enjoyed Verdus.  Yes it was daft and cliched but it was fun and action packed.

Day of the Droids (where the "Mexican-cliche cigar" turns up) wasn't quite as good imo.  Not sure quite what it was that let it down but the new sidekicks certainly didn't help matters.

IMO Robohunter was always on a downwards trajectory- Verdus was great, Day of the Droids was good, but after that it just got worse and worse, the jokes weren't as funny and the plots were just lame.

Dr Feeley Good

Loved Verdus especially the artwork...

sintec

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 January, 2018, 12:43:13 AM
Quote from: sintec on 29 January, 2018, 06:46:37 PM
I quite enjoyed Verdus.  Yes it was daft and cliched but it was fun and action packed.

Day of the Droids (where the "Mexican-cliche cigar" turns up) wasn't quite as good imo.  Not sure quite what it was that let it down but the new sidekicks certainly didn't help matters.

IMO Robohunter was always on a downwards trajectory- Verdus was great, Day of the Droids was good, but after that it just got worse and worse, the jokes weren't as funny and the plots were just lame.

Sounds like the next 2 volumes could be a bit lame then, that's a shame.

IndigoPrime

Depends on your point of view. I enjoyed the last two arcs, which wrapped up the original run. They're a bit of their time in many ways (Gibson with his cheesecake depiction of women; Wagner occasionally dropping in depictions of other nations that are troubling), but fun and breezy. Some of the stuff in-between them and Verdus, though, never really clicked for me.

I, Cosh

Conversely, I was never a huge fan of Robo Hunter but think the later stories like Slaying of Slade are much better than the early ones.
We never really die.

moldovangerbil

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 January, 2018, 10:19:19 PM
Quote from: sintec on 29 January, 2018, 08:48:04 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 January, 2018, 07:20:00 PM
FWIW, I've asked about switching subs, having seen that covers volume. No reply as yet, sadly.

Has the covers volume even been confirmed as a premium sub thing?
Not yet, no. Hard to see where else it'd fit in. I've asked for confirmation about that too.

I've had it confirmed by facebook PM that they're for premium subbers only.

IndigoPrime

Fair enough. So that was unannounced, and stupid of them. It'll be interesting to see how they respond to my other query, about switching subscriptions. (I've stated I would authorise a single 'catch-up' payment, if they could do this.)

moldovangerbil

I asked the same thing and was told I couldn't switch as my subscription was past the required issue. 

Discussions are ongoing.....

IndigoPrime

Fair enough. They've not responded to me yet. It'll be interesting how they play this. It's ridiculous that they did not outline all of the add-ons prior to people having to make a subscription decision that will last the best part of four years. Also: if people do switch, that's more money for them. Plus not pissing off subscribers who could cancel at a moment's notice would seem like the smarter move to me. But there you go.

marko10174

Has there been any word on when they plan to announce the cover issues, and when we'll get them?

James Stacey

That's pretty shitty of them. I wonder if Rebellion are aware and happy with the way they are handling that.

IndigoPrime

How much input does Rebellion have? I know they influenced the original decision to 'force' free replacements for those who'd bought the test run. But on something like this, I've no idea.

Despite the administrative burden, it would be easy for Hachette to say and do something like this:

Premium subscribers to the 2000 AD Ultimate Collection will in addition to existing gifts also receive [X] hardback books featuring covers from throughout 2000 AD's history. Because this is a new development and was not advertised when the collection was launched, we will – for a limited time – be giving existing standard subscribers the option to upgrade their subscriptions.

The upgrade will take place from issue 15, whereupon your subscription will increase from £19.98 per month to £22.98. It will also require you to authorise a one-off catch-up payment of £21. On making this payment, the Nemesis the Warlock figurine will be sent with your next set of books.

I suspect the chances of the above are slim, but you never know.

moldovangerbil

That would seem like a very reasonable way of resolving this.  Hopefully, Hachette will see its merits and not take an inflexible stance to this. 

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: I, Cosh on 30 January, 2018, 09:14:28 AM
Conversely, I was never a huge fan of Robo Hunter but think the later stories like Slaying of Slade are much better than the early ones.

Me too - I like Verdus, but I think the strip gets better, and punchier, in the Brit-Cit years with the stable supporting cast and Gibson's more refined style. And so help me, I love Gibson's cheesecake and Wagner's broad stereotypes!
@jamesfeistdraws