Main Menu

Peace and quiet to read

Started by Trout, 29 January, 2014, 03:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Tonight I read my weekly prog. It took about 10 minutes.

Marvellously,  I was only twice interrupted by my wife talking banal shite about subjects that didn't interest me.

Is this a record? Am I the world's luckiest husband?

[spoiler]I love her really. I'm mostly joking.[/spoiler]

- Trout

judgerufian

My wife expresses amazement at how quickly I read the prog when delivered on a Saturday though bless her, she does wait until I'm finished to talk to me.
I do show her the same courtesy when her Homes & Garden is delivered though and glad to say she tends to flick through the prog more often than I glance through her magazines and she always has a comment about the cover (she didnt like Dredds space suit hands this week).

JamesC

I read my Saturday prog and then play about an hour or so of computer games before my girlfriend is awake.
She's shite at getting up in the morning and I'm quite an early riser. Saturday mornings are my favourite part of the week.

sheldipez

Wednesday ritual; chuck kids in bed, chuck wife in bath, chuck myself in bed with the prog and jack daniels.

Peace.

Spaceghost

My Saturday morning routine;

Up at 7.15. Take kids to swimming lessons. Back home at 9.30. Have coffee.

Take son to tutor for 10.30. Back home at 10.45 to help daughter with homework/reading.

Take daughter and wife into town at 11.30. Drop wife off at 11.50 to retrieve son from tutor at 12.00. Proceed with daughter to supermarket to commence weekly shop. Meet wife and son in supermarket at 12.15. Arrive home at 12.45 to (hopefully) find prog has arrived.

Put shopping away. Make lunch. Eat lunch. Make cup of tea.

Settle down at 1.30 to drink tea and read prog AND WOE BETIDE ANYBODY WHO FUCKING DISTURBS ME WHILE I'M DOING IT.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dark Jimbo

I have to wait until the house is empty before settling down with my prog and a cup o' tea - if I'm going to be interrupted or distracted then it's just not worth it. Sometimes this means waiting until Monday, but it's worth it.
@jamesfeistdraws

shaolin_monkey

Oh man, I remember the bad old days, when I'd be trying to read the prog, and the ex would be constantly interrupting me (usually with comments about horrible things that have happened to people -'Oooh, have you heard of the wee boy who was raped..' etc etc) and when I would get irritated at her constant interruptions, or ask her to leave me be, she'd get all narky and pissed off.

On the flip side, if I ever tried to make casual conversation when she was reading a book, she'd have a massive tantrum!!!

Of course these things are no longer an issue for me, but I feel the pain of anyone who has had to endure similar while trying to absorb the latest Dredd or Stront story.

Colin YNWA

I've tried to explain to my wife is that reading, and I find this particularly true of comics, is immerse. When reading you should be pulled into whatever world you are reading about. To have the real work break into that completely pulls you out - same as someone talking in the cinema. Its also true when there's bad storytelling and your yanked out the story to try to rationalise what's happening or why etc.  It takes you out the experience.

The problem is I'm immersed so much my wife has little choice sometimes. So I ask that she wait until I've finished a given comic when possible, but alas often not so it would seem. It seems such an unpleasant demand kinda like.

"DON'T SPEAK TO ME UNTIL I'M READY DAMNIT!"

But when pulled out of a different world, one often I want to go back to as quick as possible, I'm not at my most communicative.

Trout

Wow. What miserable buggers we are!  :lol:

JayzusB.Christ

At least you have wives and kids.  I think I'm terminally unsuited to family life. I wouldn't have it any other way, but sometimes I wonder if I'm normal. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Prodigal2

My wife always respects my reading space-she just smiles at me and laughs that "daft sod" laugh of hers.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 29 January, 2014, 03:50:49 PM
I've tried to explain to my wife is that reading, and I find this particularly true of comics, is immerse.

Yes, despite the fact that my wife is an avid reader herself and generally a wonderous being whose merest glance I do not deserve, in nearly 25 years of our association she has never grasped the idea of not disturbing me when I'm reading my prog and/or book.  I'm unable to come to the conversation right now, please leave a message and I'll get back to you on my return from Titan.

These days I usually get the weekly when I'm doing a Big Shop, which I try to do sans famille, and so I now try to read it in the car in the window of time generously allowed by the extortion merchants between swiping my parking ticket and getting to the barrier.

The Enigmatic Dr X

It's ten minutes. Every week.

It's shouldn't be a shock. Yet, when I politely point out I am reading 2000ad, I get a stunned and offended silence.

I can sit in silence through Coronation-bloody-Street.

Yet, the household woes just have to be resolved first thing on a Saturday.

EDIT: AND, when I am doing some kind of DIY or repair or shelf-building, how come she always comes into the room just at the very moment it all goes to shite?
Lock up your spoons!

Trout

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 01 February, 2014, 01:03:18 PM
AND, when I am doing some kind of DIY or repair or shelf-building, how come she always comes into the room just at the very moment it all goes to shite?

Yes. Very yes.

It is not yet finished. Critique it later. For now, fuck the fuck off.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Ken Trousers on 01 February, 2014, 02:20:37 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 01 February, 2014, 01:03:18 PM
AND, when I am doing some kind of DIY or repair or shelf-building, how come she always comes into the room just at the very moment it all goes to shite?

Yes. Very yes.

It is not yet finished. Critique it later. For now, fuck the fuck off.
Speaking if which when are you taking over the man cave thread, Trouty? Im seriously depleted from a lack of eye candy here.