Main Menu

When comics give, then receive

Started by Trout, 15 February, 2014, 03:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

I'm watching an Avengers cartoon that's pretty darned close to the Iron Man films. It's set me thinking. I reckon the Marvel movies are having an influence on the comics that begat them. But that's not new, is it?

Early a Superman comics were heavily influenced by other-media spinoffs. I remember reading somewhere that many of the most important parts of the Superman story, started off in the radio series. Am I misremembering?

Can we think of any examples where comics were mined for other media, then changed as a result?

The Adventurer

The Daily Planet, flight, and some other things did get their start in the Superman radio serials. It's part of the whole 'who created Superman, and who owns what' copyright question that gets drudges up periodically.

Fun fact, some Superman material is public domain (but of course DC owns the trademarks). But that Superman can only jump a quarter mile, is only strong enough to stop a mortar shell, and works at the Daily Star.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Don't forget Kryptonite, that's from the radio show too.

There's a host of characters that originated in other media then translated to the comics. I guess Harley Quinn being the most famous? I think Newsarama did one of those 10 ten things on this... hold on... there it is...

http://www.newsarama.com/15540-10-comic-book-characters-that-didn-t-debut-in-comic-books.html

Also and more on topic didn't the tone of the Batman TV show (60s) really influence the comic which wasn't as  obviously 'wacky' before hand... though when you look at the 50s and early 60s covers you got to wonder! It certainly is the origin of Robin saying 'Holy' this and that... though how much he said that in the comics I'm not sure?

Frank

Quote from: The Adventurer on 15 February, 2014, 05:06:29 AM
Fun fact, some Superman material is public domain (but of course DC owns the trademarks). But that Superman can only jump a quarter mile, is only strong enough to stop a mortar shell, and works at the Daily Star.

If that's a fact, it is indeed fun. I'm astonished Alan Moore hasn't had a paddle in that pool, given the course he charted through the choppy waters of copyright infringement in The League, and how much he resents DC's behaviour during the Watchmen debacle. I suppose he's sort of already done his Nyah - I can do Superman better than you already, with Supreme.

2000ad nicked the gun from the 1995 Stallone film, and both Rico and Fargo have become central to the developing overarching narrative of the Dredd strip in a way they really hadn't been in its first eighteen years (Hershey too). The name Eustace for Fargo appears to have been lifted from the short lived DC film tie-in comics as well.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie olympics on 15 February, 2014, 11:07:19 AM
2000ad nicked the gun from the 1995 Stallone film, and both Rico and Fargo have become central to the developing overarching narrative of the Dredd strip in a way they really hadn't been in its first eighteen years (Hershey too). The name Eustace for Fargo appears to have been lifted from the short lived DC film tie-in comics as well.

Joseph and all.

Although I'll quibble with the bit about Hershey.  She started her own solo series in '92, and pretty much replaced Giant, Maria and Walter as a full third of Dredd's supporting cast after The Apocalypse War.  As Dredd's only surviving protege her route through the ranks was well underway before Diane Lane became the second best thing about Judge Dredd (after Hammerstein, and before Mean Angel).

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 February, 2014, 11:29:20 AM
Quote from: sauchie olympics on 15 February, 2014, 11:07:19 AM
2000ad nicked the gun from the 1995 Stallone film, and ... (t)he name Eustace for Fargo appears to have been lifted from the short lived DC film tie-in comics as well.

Joseph and all.

>yuch!<

That never sounds right, does it? I take your point regarding Babs; Dredd urges her to run for CJ in the election to replace Hilda, doesn't he? Carlos's Dredd (and Lee Sullivan's) wear movie influenced cheek inserts on their helmets for the duration of The Pit, and the Andorran still decorates the handlebars of the lawmaster with detail he learned to draw while working on the comic adaptation of the misbegotten 1995 movie.

M.I.K.

Bananaman.

When I was a kid, I noticed loads of changes being made in the comic...

• Eric's hairstyle and clothing changed.

• Bananaman's costume altered.

• Bananaman gained a sidekick in the form of Crow.

• There was more focus on General Blight as the main baddy, when before it had more of a 'villain of the week' format.

• The Chief of Police changed from an Indian Chief, complete with head-dress, to Irish stereotype, Chief O' Reilly.

I wasn't happy about some of those changes and wondered what the reasoning behind them was. Next thing I know there's an animated cartoon getting made featuring the voices of The Goodies, and they're talking about it on Blue Peter.

...and it's Eric WIMP, dammit!