Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

In answer to your spoiler section, the possibilities are intriguing.

I didn't even *know* about those Short Treks until last Friday night, but luckily the recap for last week's episode included stuff we hadn't seen, so we figured there was something we missed. Very good they were too.

wedgeski

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 April, 2019, 10:55:55 AM
Shame anyone legitimately paying to watch Discovery in the UK via legal means is deliberately excluded from part of the story by CBS' Short Treks bullshit.
They are right there on Netflix, so no.

Pyroxian

Quote from: wedgeski on 17 April, 2019, 10:58:23 AM
Shame anyone legitimately paying to watch Discovery in the UK via legal means is deliberately excluded from part of the story by CBS' Short Treks bullshit.
They are right there on Netflix, so no.

Yep, they're in the "Trailers & More" section.

Professor Bear

Oh hey, that's cool, happy to be proved wrong there.  The last I heard the shorts were packaged separately while CBS tried to leverage more cash from investors, and people were complaining on Twitter they didn't know who the Queen character was as recently as yesterday.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 April, 2019, 11:45:44 AM
Oh hey, that's cool, happy to be proved wrong there.  The last I heard the shorts were packaged separately while CBS tried to leverage more cash from investors, and people were complaining on Twitter they didn't know who the Queen character was as recently as yesterday.

Yeah, Netflix did a pretty good job of hiding them away :(

Dandontdare

what "CBS' Short Treks bullshit do you mean? Both the main series and the shorts are on Netflix in UK (hadn't even heard of them before now, but apparently they can be found on the "trailers and more" tab of the Discovery page rather than having a stand-alone entry).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 April, 2019, 11:45:44 AM

Oh, right. I legitimately thought I'd just completely forgotten about a character or plotline. That's a bit shit, TBH.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Theblazeuk

See above Jim, I watched them on 'Trailers & More' on Netflix.

Professor Bear

Unhelpful if you've already watched the episode taking place after the short that originated the character, I imagine.

A quick perusal of the always-accurate Wikipedia reveals that the shorts were promised to have no bearing on the series, and Googling shows that their inclusion on Netflix was actually discovered by fans when they were uploaded after the series had already started, so Jim's experience probably won't be unique.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 17 April, 2019, 01:48:27 PM
See above Jim, I watched them on 'Trailers & More' on Netflix.

I kind of don't expect to have to watch extra shit to understand the basics of what's going on in a series. I'm fine with expanding the background and the characters, but I don't expect to have to do homework to understand what's happening in the main series.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

I hope Jim's right - the clue is in the word 'extra' -I didn't know these existed before today, so I'm gonna take a look, and I'll be back shortly.

Not surprised I didn't find 'em though - I long ago stopped clicking on that -has anyone EVER found anything interesting under the tantalising "...& more"?

Dandontdare

Okay..
Runaway - well that explains the last episode- I assumed it was something I'd forgotten from the first season 'cos I've got the memory span of a goldfish. enjoyable mini-ep, peak Tilley appreciation, can;t say it spoiled anything.
Calypso - very well made little film, I didn't really twig that it was a long-abandoned Discovery that it was all happening on, but still, can't see it spoiling anything.
The Brightest star - decent filler to a story we've already seen- explains why he got so choked up about his knife in the evac episode.
Escape Artist - nah, don;t care at all for the recreated Harry Mudd, so meh

Theblazeuk

I enjoyed the Mudd one. The idea that the Star Trek universe has interesting things going on outside of a uniform is refreshing.

I think Runaway's link to the main series was done clumsily, as opposed to The Brightest Star.

wedgeski

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 18 April, 2019, 09:40:37 AM
I enjoyed the Mudd one. The idea that the Star Trek universe has interesting things going on outside of a uniform is refreshing.

I think Runaway's link to the main series was done clumsily, as opposed to The Brightest Star.
Runaway was definitely the weakest, which is kinda stupid given her importance to the plot. [spoiler]The weird way that they didn't *quite* cast Tilly's mother also suggests she'll be coming back.[/spoiler]

Radbacker

Well that was one exciting season finale, successfully explains why no one in the original serie, Next gen etc never mention the Disocovery, Sporedrives, Burnham and so on.  More action than the last few newtrek movies which is sure to upset some people but I enjoyed it, I love seeing me some Federation ships going all zappy zap.  So next season what's it going to be about?  Now spoilers [spoiler]so Discovery has jumped 900 years into the future with its crew does that mean the next season is going to be sequel not prequel now set well after Next gen?[/spoiler] here's hoping

CU Radbacker