Main Menu

MARCH ART COMP - RISE OF THE ROBOTS

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 01 March, 2013, 11:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

That Pineapples is outrageous! Good stuff from everyone else. If only I still had my old Acorn Electron I could bust out the Hammerstein head I spent hours painstakingly planning out on graph paper before coding:
http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/ugs/acorn/ug-english/chapter020_eng.html#definingchars
We never really die.

STEVONATRON

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 15 March, 2013, 11:28:03 AM
What program (if any) do some of you use when editing your pictures on a PC?

There's a variety of programs you can use, but the art industry standard is Adobe Photoshop, or you could use Adobe Illustrator for its vector abilities (vectors allow the image to be scaled to any size without distortion). They cost a small fortune, so you might want to try a trial version or a cheaper equivalent that maybe someone else can point you to.

CrazyFoxMachine

Gimp is a solid free one to try http://www.gimp.org/

and Mangastudio is cheaper than photoshop, more comic specific and used by a wide range of pros and droids http://manga.smithmicro.com/

For colouring though I've yet to find anything quite as good as Photoshop :( Give gimp a go though!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 15 March, 2013, 09:23:25 PM
For colouring though I've yet to find anything quite as good as Photoshop :( Give gimp a go though!

Mr Holden seems fairly confident that the re-written colour features in Manga Studio 5 will enable him to pretty much retire Photoshop for colouring duties.

Edit: we should probably take this off the art comp thread. Sorry.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

STEVONATRON

On a slight tangent, if I manage to find some time (I wish!) away from personal projects, I'm definitely going to throw together some Zbrush art for a future competition. (Google Zbrush images to see where I'm going with this...)

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 March, 2013, 09:30:59 PM

Edit: we should probably take this off the art comp thread. Sorry.

Yeah agreed, though I hope the info has helped one or two peeps.

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Malicious

Thanks Cosh!

I use photoshop, mainly cos I know it inside and out. Manga Studio I trial'ed but the interface was so foreign that it felt cumbersome. I'm sure it could be a good program but I couldn't get my head around it the couple times I dabbled. Painter looks really good, I've been holding off of trial'ing it until I have time to give it a proper go.
Malicious
www.malicious.com.au

Kerrin

Some drokkin' zarjaz entries so far Squaxx!

Here's a very quick one featuring everyone's favourite little nicotine pumping robotic amigo, Stoagie!

SKD

It's been a while since I last had chance to enter the art comp, but how could I resist drawing robots. Here's my 'hat in the ring' Slaine Mech Roth. :D

Stew.

Hawkmumbler

:o
I may have just splooged over my keyboard give me a sec...

Bob Molesworth

Bob Molesworth

This is the first time I have entered this competition, so here is a picture of Mongrol

ok, that did not work. Help?

CrazyFoxMachine

Here you go Mr Molesworth this is HIS AMAZING MONGROL - ! :O WHATTTTT

Steve Green

Wonderful! Reminds me of the animated ABC Warriors trailer.

Bob Molesworth

thanks Owen, would you mid sending me a FB message or something explaining in words of one syllable how you did that?
Cheers.
(looking sheepish and embarrased)

Thanks Steve, I did use that as a reference point along with some other versions.