Main Menu

Ebay watch.

Started by maryanddavid, 14 May, 2012, 12:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: Judge Jack on 23 October, 2012, 08:09:38 PMWell, it wasnt me. As much as i'd love a Bolland page, that particular page, though very nice, didnt really do it for me. Still, for a Bolland piece, under £800 is a bargain, isnt it?

Wasn't me either.  For a Bolland page, that spectacularly failed to tick any of the right boxes.  Price-wise, I'm not really that surprised it didn't go for more.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Skullmo on 23 October, 2012, 07:53:33 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 23 October, 2012, 07:36:48 PM
Well done to whoever got the Bolland 'Walter the Wobot' page! I hope it was someone here...

If it was someone in the UK that is going to cost a lot in import tax!!

I don't know that it'll be too much; my McCarthy page only cost an extra £12 import duty (plus £8 for those thieving fuckers at Parcelforce!)...

J3D1

Agree with you two. Still very nice.

Spikes

hippynumber1

Quote from: Judge Jack on 23 October, 2012, 09:34:26 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 23 October, 2012, 08:39:27 PM
those thieving fuckers at Parcelforce!

Testify brother!

Plus another £12 if you want Saturday delivery! Robbin' bastards!  ;)

Skullmo

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 23 October, 2012, 08:39:27 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 23 October, 2012, 07:53:33 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 23 October, 2012, 07:36:48 PM
Well done to whoever got the Bolland 'Walter the Wobot' page! I hope it was someone here...

If it was someone in the UK that is going to cost a lot in import tax!!

I don't know that it'll be too much; my McCarthy page only cost an extra £12 import duty (plus £8 for those thieving fuckers at Parcelforce!)...

Wow. I bought some art from the US last year. It cost £20. I got charged import ducty and VAT on it which came to £13!!
It's a joke. I was joking.

o1s1n

Just after picking up three more pages by Johnny Hicklenton from The Two Torquemadas.

To say I am excited is a massive understatement. They are currently in the post. Won't believe it until I see them in the flesh!

hippynumber1

Where on earth did you get those from? I've been after Hicklenton Nemesis pages for ages!

o1s1n

Woops, seems I wrote the above in the incorrect thread - was meant to be in original art!

It was the result of an ebay auction appearing (I have a few different saved searches for his work) along with some well timed ebay private messages.

What was listed on ebay, turned into two more pages which the seller had but hadnt listed yet.

I almost had a heart attack from the excitement and bought them all :)

I've only seen two of his pages listed on ebay in the last few years, one which I won the auction, the other which ended early (someone made an offer and bought it for John's wife, really nice gesture which took the pain away from not winning it!)

Will post some photos once they arrive. It's two title pages and the very last page before the epilogue :)

hippynumber1

Well, that's hardly playing fair is it!  :(

o1s1n

The only part which needs to be fair is that the seller got and accepted a good offer - and believe me, he did!

Everything else is fair game when it comes to original art unfortunately - be it a standard bidding war or contacting sellers directly to do a deal. If you see something you really want (and something like this which doesn't come up often, believe me, I've waited!) then don't hang about, talk to the owner directly.

As long as you're not ripping people off who don't realize the value of what they have (I really hate that) and offer a fair price, then I don't see the issue.

On a side note, I'll be taking high res photos of these and trying to share them with as many people as would like to see them (You really haven't experienced Hicklenton art till you see the original, so much is lost while transferring it over to print)

hippynumber1

Unfortunately, that does seem to be the name of the game these days - I've done it myself. I wasn't having a pop at you, just sulking because I didn't get to have a go for it! Looking forward to seeing what you've got (and if you decide to sell...  ;))

opaque

They might have been able to get twice the amount you paid if they'd have left it up. Especially considering who it was by.
In a way by not letting it be bought you're causing problems as we don't know what a fair amount actually is! ;)
And of course you're not going to tell us and I wouldn't expect you to.

It's happening far too often really. It's 'fair', but it's still rather annoying. But at least you will be sharing the details with us. See how much tippex you see on the pages! You do wonder how many collectors there are out there with great pieces that would never come on the boards and so never gets seen.

I've already got a page from the Two Torquemadas so not as desperate as you were (and I get that desperation in regards to other pieces) but I would have liked to see what this went for in the free market.

Spikes

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 26 October, 2012, 05:27:16 PM
Unfortunately, that does seem to be the name of the game these days

Quote from: opaque on 26 October, 2012, 05:30:44 PM
It's happening far too often really.

Aye, increasingly, depressingly so.

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 26 October, 2012, 05:27:16 PM
I've done it myself

You swine!!

Quote from: o1s1n on 26 October, 2012, 05:09:41 PM
I don't see the issue.

Its against E-bay rules, for a start  ;)
But im certainly not having a pop, either. Its just, of late, the number of private deals for 2000ad art has gone through the roof. Though, to be perfectly honest, if one of my absolute grail pages turned up on E-bay, or elsewhere, id move heaven and earth (and try every trick in the book) to snag it.

So, congrats on your haul!

Quote from: o1s1n on 26 October, 2012, 05:09:41 PM
On a side note, I'll be taking high res photos of these and trying to share them with as many people as would like to see them (You really haven't experienced Hicklenton art till you see the original, so much is lost while transferring it over to print)

Good stuff, dont forget to post them in the original art thread. BTW, your on CAF as well arent you?

Spikes

Ah, Drokk it! that reads a bit sinister in part, and no edit function either.

Quote from: Judge Jack on 26 October, 2012, 06:05:47 PM
and try every trick in the book

By that, i mean every trick in the book - but NOT underhand methods, like hoodwinking/conning people etc.
Good, thats that all cleared up.