Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogie101

Quote from: moogie101 on 27 June, 2018, 01:43:24 PM
Quote from: paulbyrnewex on 27 June, 2018, 11:33:30 AM
Quote from: moogie101 on 26 June, 2018, 02:22:32 PM
Quote from: paulbyrnewex on 02 June, 2018, 02:57:03 PM
Due to various things I missed Issue 84 Blood of Emeralds in my local newsagents. Does anyone know if i purchase it from the Hachette shop will it come with the reprint issue aswell ?

No it doesn't. Just had a delivery of the last three books I was missing as never subscribed and 84 was one of them.

Shame the spines don't match up from 80-81 but can't justify spending a tenner to correct their ridiculous mistake.

I asked on Facebook page and was told "When you place an order for 84 it will automatically be sent with a replacement of issue 44. if it happens that issue 44 is not included you can request a replacement of 44 using your order number."

Cheers, just sent an email off.

Getting on for nearly a year later (and multiple incorrect books that have been donated to charity shops) and I've finally received the corrected spine version

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

well, having read all ninety volumes, i feel really cheated. within the approximately twenty thousand pages that the collection covers, they have not found space for the - *imho* - single greatest wagner dredd story. admittedly i'm biased, because they were my first progs, but 'battle of the black atlantic' from progs 128 & 129 (i think) had everything - a 59(D) cit swoop, drones, meg/eastmeg politics, an almost incapacitated dredd arresting an entire eastmeg ship, fascism, blistering ron smith art, the blackest wit, everything. i would recommend this story to anyone wanting a neat into to the world of dredd, but in twentyk pages it didn't make it in to this collection. shame. extreme shame (especially considering the dross that *has* made it in).

Jade Falcon

I agree with the above, it deserved to be in it if nothing more as part of Apocalypse War.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

There were undoubtedly some classics missing from the collection, which several volumes could have been much better served by. I'm still planning a re-read, probably after the Tooth collection has finished, and will document my opinions on the ups and downs on here. Current plan is to read the original 80 in volume order, dipping into the extension as relevant/appropriate - Anderson, mega-epics etc. Waffle to follow down the line.

bedlamvr

Just a heads up - Hachette are discontinuing the Judge Dredd Mega Collection and removing it from their site in the next two weeks. Just in case anyone was still looking for those missing issues.

Thanks

rs_jr

with this done.

Hopefully we get announcement if a new partwork or maybe to they tell us whats going on withe the asterix ultimate collection

Tomwe

Quote from: rs_jr on 10 December, 2019, 03:57:22 AM
with this done.

Hopefully we get announcement if a new partwork or maybe to they tell us whats going on withe the asterix ultimate collection
I'd be happy to know about the Asterix series! There was no new GN series in January's previews, which is often when they launch a new one. But the second Warhammer weekly series is a go and can be preordered from Forbidden Planet.

rs_jr

i really hope the asterix subscription goes forward and does well enough to convince hachette bring over more french series, bluberry, the peso work, hermann work etc .......

IndigoPrime

Hachette warns that today is the final day it will make its Dredd collection books available for sale on its website:

https://hachettepartworks.com/judge-dredd-the-mega-collection

Note that if you missed out on the extension, all ten books are currently available. If you fancy cherry picking there are some great hardbacks lurking here, including: Mandroid (only one left); Swimming in Blood; The Pit; P.J. Maybe; Low Life Paranoia/Hostile Takoever/Trifecta; Inscurrection; Chopper. And from the extension: Served Cold (Al Ewing); Blood of Emeralds; Lawless.

else, grab Served Cold (Al Ewing Dredd) and Blood of Emeralds. (I'm slightly surprised if they're EOLing the collection that they're not dropping the prices, but there you go.)

Jade Falcon

Sorry for the necro, but I've been rereading a few of the books and noticed that the book "The Day the Law Died" had a printing error.  The back cover has a panel in line with the story but the description was that from Necropolis.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

There are a bunch of errors along those lines. Some books have the wrong end papers. Hachette, as I recall, replaced spine cock-ups and major printing errors within the books (Total War's run was pretty messy), but not those with incorrect descriptive text and end papers.

Hackenbush

The ultimate collection has been a better value I think. Quite a few of the mega collection volumes are pretty slim in comparison. They still make the end paper stuff ups but I think the overall quality is higher.

sintec

In terms of pages of strip per volume the Mega Collection was actually far more consistent than the Ultimate Collection has been. The slimmest volumes we've had are all in the Ultimate Collection, Slaine Book of Scars being the slimmest by a large margin.

In terms of quality though I think the Ultimate Collection has been far more consistent. There were several volumes in the Mega Collection that were frankly dross.

Hackenbush

Interesting!

My impressions of the mega collection must be tainted by the missed opportunities I see when I look over it.

Why skip Ennis and McCrea's chopper story, or Ennis and Martin Emonds one off?
Why skip the brilliant Mean machine one offs drawn by Mike McMahon / John Hicklenton?
Why skip the conclusion to several Ennis threads "The Marshall" with brilliant Sean Phillips art

And why not do a Hershey Volume? The Megazine hershey stories were pretty good. The Kevin Cullen art was fantastic.

sintec

And on the flip side of that question; why include Red Razors or Janus?
There were definitely some odd choices along the way in the Mega Collection.