Main Menu

Hawaii five-0 and the event

Started by Devons Daddy, 23 September, 2010, 02:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKE COLLINS

Quote from: Van Dom on 23 October, 2010, 05:42:49 PM
I'm sure I've said it before on here but Psych is a fantastically good fun show. ... One of the best things about it is how certain episodes focus in on an classic movie or TV show... Some of the standouts have been the "Friday the 13th" homage and the "Jaws" homage, but there's a "Twin Peaks" one coming up (featuring a load of all the Twin Peaks cast) which is just destined to be awesome!

I've given up on H50 already I'm afraid, too run of the mill for me. I'll stick with Burn Notice!
Well, that's sold me- I've Ordered Season 1 off Amazon.. £7.99! That's about the price of two pints round here...! And can't wait for Burn Notice to come back too!

Professor Bear

Despite a recommendation from a forum user, I had to give up on Burn Notice after three series (so it's not like I didn't give it a chance) when I realised it was the same plot every week: Michael is reluctant to take a job unless child abuse is involved, then he takes the case, the client worries a bit, the mark is convinced that the feds/mafia/investors are after him and is forced to do something drastic that gets him arrested/kidnapped by the mafia, and all the while Bruce Campbell fails to get on with Michael's malnourished girlfriend and her wandering Irish accent and/or Michael outsmarts some low-level CIA stooge to get information on the person who burned him in a B-plot - the new person who burned him, mind, and not the one he already found or the one he found after that and then walked away from

This is literally what happens in every episode, usually bolstered with the Burn Notice drinking game where you take a drink every time the main character starts a sentence with "being a spy is a bit like being a (insert random occupation here)."  It's not actually terrible or anything, it's just that there doesn't seem to be any point in watching more of it by the time you've seen series one and two.

Van Dom

I am still enjoying Burn Notice but I do know what you mean. Each season just seems to add an additional level of covert agency between Michael and whoever originally burned him. I'll be honest I'm halfway through season 4 now and I honestly havent an f'ing clue whats going on in the over-reaching arc. Love the cast though and thats what keeps me interested.

Anyone had a look at Chase? Kind of early days, pilot was rubbish but I've watched up to ep 3 and its holding my attention more than Hawaii 5-0 did. Its all very ho-hum run of the mill stuff but the lead actress is amiable enough. I'll give it a few more weeks.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Professor Bear

Chase jumps between the gung-ho scenes and the simmering tension between characters a bit too abruptly for my liking, but the female lead has yet to burst into tears on a flimsy pretext, so it's at least got that going for it, even if other female-lead genre shows like the new Nikita or Lost Girl can boast the same thing.

If you like Burn Notice, the Glades is a decent murder of the week show in a similar vein and setting, but it's probably not good that I can't recall the name of a single character.

Van Dom

Chase episode 4 was the best yet and may have completely sold me on the show.
Jerry Bruckheimer opened his wallet for that one!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

MIKE COLLINS

Quote from: Van Dom on 27 October, 2010, 08:19:24 PM
I am still enjoying Burn Notice but I do know what you mean. Each season just seems to add an additional level of covert agency between Michael and whoever originally burned him. I'll be honest I'm halfway through season 4 now and I honestly havent an f'ing clue whats going on in the over-reaching arc. Love the cast though and thats what keeps me interested.
eeks.

Agree with all that- there's nothing overly demanding about Burn Notice but it has echoes for me of the Rockford Files (and what happened to the remake of that? Wasn't that supposed to air soon, or did someone see sense?) I quite like the formula of the show, it's a fizzy drink next to Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad's Malt Whiskey. Nothing wrong with that. I still think we're going to find out that the guy who really burned Mike [spoiler]is his long missing dad[/spoiler]

Back on topic, Event was pants this week (US ep) tho, wasn't it? Just about had it

Radbacker

yep The Event isn't really turning out to be one is it.  I'll watch another and see but unless it really picks up I'm done.
Anyone happened to see No Ordinary Family.  Dysfunctional family crash into magic lake in the Amazon and get super powers, the first episodes pretty entertaining (like the old school Superman references) but not exeptional stikll could be entertaining.

CU Radbacker

Professor Bear

No Ordinary Family is quite awful, probably because it takes itself very seriously despite not being internally consistent enough to even pass as a kids' show from the 1980s.

For instance: some guys rob a string of wedding receptions and steal one of the main characters' wedding rings, later one of them is caught at a robbery in progress while in possession of an automatic weapon and the wedding ring stolen from the earlier job, which the police correctly identify as stolen and return to the rightful owner yet the robber is not charged because there is not enough evidence.  Now... I am not a lawyer, but hundreds (probably thousands) of witnesses, actual physical evidence and being caught on the scene during an act of armed robbery with violence after one confirmed murder attempt does not strike me as circumstantial, and why does this guy even have this one single ring on his person after all this time?
Another episode has cops realising that the earth shaking was created by artificial means, yet no explanation is given as to how they reach this conclusion.  You may even ask why cops would be investigating an earthquake or how they would actually go about doing this, and the answer is: because a drug store was robbed during one.  I'm not even joking, cops investigate the earthquake because one robber used it as a distraction, then they come to the conclusion that it was an artificially created quake.
One character is bulletproof until a few minutes later when he just isn't, and then after that he is again, then he has super strength that allows him to jump onto or fall off of skyscrapers without injury, yet being pushed over by someone knocks him out cold, and super strength makes you run faster than speeding cars, apparently.

Aw, man, this show is just brutally stupid and derivative, so I can practically guarantee it will be a success.

Radbacker

well i found the first episode quite entertaining in a goofy way, but as they say different strokes.
Caprica has just been cancelled and they wont be showing the last 5 or so episodes till some time next year.  SyFy has some crappy programmers.

cu Radbacker