Main Menu

Manga Studio Query

Started by kevhopgood, 10 October, 2014, 10:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevhopgood

I know a few readers on here use Manga Studio, and I've got a query. Next to the two colour chips on the colour picker there looks to be a transparency chip. What does it do and how do you use it? I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I'm using MANGA 4.0 and as far as I can see the transparency tab lowers the saturation of your colour from full to paler version of that colour.

The trouble is no matter how light your colour, how low your transparency it overwrites any other colour you have; a light over a darker colour won't become transparent itself the light colour will remain as if on 100% so you can't blend them together like in Photoshop/Painter etc.

I think it's used for colour flats where you want lighter versions of the same colour. That's my 2 pennies worth. Hoped it helped but maybe they'll be something more on it on the Internet. Try Deviant Art it's got a lot of a advice though mostly on Photoshop. Or try here http://www.pencilkiller.com/tutorial.html
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

pauljholden

If you're drawing in monochrome mode, you actually have three colour options: black, white or transparent. Black draws black, white draws white and transparent draws well, transparent. Any layer, by default, is 100% transparent, but usually it's on top of a white paper layer, so you don't see that it's transparent. So drawing white on a new layer and drawing transparent on a new layer appear to have the same effect - BUT if you put a layer filled with black you'll see the white but the transparent remains transparent.

Photoshop when it uses a monochrome mode will only let you draw in black OR white - the transparent option doesn't exist as a drawable colour.

If you're drawing in greyscale then, you can also set the transparency of the current colour - so you could draw Grey using either 50% white, 50% black OR using 100% black and 50% transparent. Using the level of transparency means that if you draw the grey on top of an existing colour it will darken that existing colour rather than just replace it with grey.

I feel like I've over explained it already. but I hope that helps!

-pj

kevhopgood

So how to I change the level of transparency? I'm missing something really basic here...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: kevhopgood on 10 October, 2014, 01:09:52 PM
So how to I change the level of transparency? I'm missing something really basic here...

Change the opacity setting of the brush you're using. If you lay down some black using your brush/pen at 100% opacity, then change to transparent mode, your brush now works like an eraser. Change the brush opacity to 50% and transparent mode will change your 100% black to 50% black wherever you go over it...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

kevhopgood

Now I get it! Thanks for your help guys.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.