Main Menu

SEPTEMBER ART COMP - 40 YEARS OF FUTURE SHOCKS

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 02 September, 2017, 09:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 11 September, 2017, 02:12:49 PM
I'm working on something - however, it's about Future Shocks in general rather than one specific one, still acceptable?

Yeah why not

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 September, 2017, 09:00:26 AM
I'd like to enter (although I'll almost certainly run out of time!) but the sheer scope of the subject is a bit bewildering.

I'm pretty sure it's not quite "people are too stupefied by choice to enter" lol - I think perhaps we're just naturally winding down here. Perhaps we'll make it a bit less regular in 2018!

SuperSurfer

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 13 September, 2017, 09:46:35 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not quite "people are too stupefied by choice to enter" lol - I think perhaps we're just naturally winding down here. Perhaps we'll make it a bit less regular in 2018!
Perhaps this could be taken as cheek by this poster here who struggles to enter, but please let that not be the case. The art comps continues to be a highlight of this forum for me.

At forum gatherings, the subject of the art comp often comes up, as does the impressive standard of entries. I can tell you for a fact it is appreciated by many forumites.

I will make an extra hard effort to get my act together and enter whatever I have, even if it exists in scribbled form on the back of a receipt (which is often as far as I get).

Andy Lambert

I'd be sad to see it diminished too, or even disappear entirely. Like SuperSurfer, it's my favourite part of the forum.

I've decided not to contribute any more myself - having won a number of times, I'm conscious of people getting irked by that, and I've apparently put some off from entering themselves, but I still want to come here and see what others are creating, I still enjoy everyone else's work and ideas. If there's some way of identifying why things have become quieter of late, let's do that and get back to the giddy heights the competitions have reached before.

Honestly, the contests are too good to say goodbye to.

Andy Lambert

Of course, it could be just life stuff getting in everyone's way...

Fungus

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 13 September, 2017, 11:35:50 PM
Of course, it could be just life stuff getting in everyone's way...

I wouldn't be surprised. Haven't entered the comp for an age :-(

Tulio_Vilela

My entry for the comp: "Halfway to Paradise", based on a story written by Alan Moore and drawn by John Cooper.

mightybren

QuoteOf course, it could be just life stuff getting in everyone's way...

@Andy Lambert that's definitely been the case for me! I've had to change jobs four times this year, along with selling off all my worldly possessions so I can go and travel. I loved seeing your entries though :) please do more!

I'm going to try and commit myself to Inktober this year. I've been quietly researching some Future Shocks for inspiration so I can enter this competition as a warm up. Finding the time is difficult...

Side note: My collection of American graphic novels is proving a lot less popular than my 2000ad graphic novels on eBay :( which is annoying and eats up time, but really goes to show there's nothing better than 2000ad I guess :)

sheridan

Quote from: Tulio_Vilela on 14 September, 2017, 06:18:40 AM
My entry for the comp: "Halfway to Paradise", based on a story written by Alan Moore and drawn by John Cooper.

Is that the story which ends with Abelard sat on top of a giant rubic cube?

Tulio_Vilela

Quote from: sheridan on 15 September, 2017, 06:12:53 PM
Is that the story which ends with Abelard sat on top of a giant rubic cube?
Yes! That story!

Adrian Bamforth

CrazyFoxMachine

Adrian Bamforth's own nice ass entry here: "The Exclamation Mark Killer"

Woolly

:o Beautiful!

Is that from a Future Shock, or an original idea?
I can see writers kicking themselves for not thinking of that!

Adrian Bamforth

Not a published Future Shock, though I did have a whole script I submitted and got rejected (I think the cod Raymond Chandler wasn't particularly great). Each page ended with the exclamation mark 'calling card' at another crime scene. I plan to submit a better version at some point, or see if other writers would like to have a go.

mightybren