Main Menu

The Bendatti Vendetta

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 March, 2015, 08:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Its been a while since I've done one of these but couldn't find a thread about this so (with a quick look, apologies if I missed owt) I thought I'd start one and that says a lot about the strip, or at least its position in the 2000ad pantheon.

The Bendatti Vendetta by Robbie Morrison and John Burns was released in trade a couple of years ago collecting stories that appeared in The Meg in the early 2000s. The three stories collected in this slight volume detail adventures of a clandestine group that exact revenge on criminals the law can't catch. It reads like a pumped up 70s TV show. What The Sweeny, The Professionals etc would could have been if there was had been nothing holding them back. The revenge exacted is not swift, the mafia bosses and weapons dealers are subjected to a slow, exacting series of misfortunes, over 3 or more episodes, so they know whats coming. Their organisations attacked and the fear of God put in them by our two leads. Our leads being the hard generic maverick action man and the beautiful, but seemingly cold femme fatale. All controlled by Cowley... I mean the stern but committed mastermind behind the operation.

Yes it all does have a slight air of cliche about it, but the execution of the stories is superb. John Burns' art is perfect for the story and Robbie Morrison plots the heck out of things its great stuff.

So why does it seem to have sunk a little below the radar. Well unlike the above mentioned TV series it doesn't last long enough. There's three stories here of between 3 and 6 parts each. A wonderful undercurrent of intrigue about the characters runs through the whole thing and while we get 'origins' of a sort we never really get to the meat of the deal, more insight and drama seems to be on the horizon.

Then it stops.

There is no more. I have no idea why that is, or whose decision etc etc but its a damned shame as I believe if this series had continues it would have developed really nicely, growing a fanbase and would be fondly remembered. This collection is a great read, but seems to promise so much more that alas has never come.

Its great for what it is, just slightly frustrating.

Cut down in its prime. 

Dark Jimbo

I really liked it and would have been happy for more stories.

It wasn't great, but as you say we seemed to be on the cusp of finding out more about the organisation and agnets themselves, which is where the real meat of the story always seemed it would be.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

It was good stuff, although I do have a tendency to confuse it in my memory with Black Light. Like so many strips it never seemed terribly comfortable in the Meg though, did it? I'd certainly go for more, but only if it didn't distract the Burns droid from The Order - Darren Douglas would be a more than acceptable substitute.  Not enough Robbie Morrison around these days anyway, that's for sure.