Main Menu

Is there any satire in this film?

Started by ABCwarBOT, 19 June, 2012, 06:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

There was the inferring of tougher criminal codes that Griffin and Fargo discussed at the start of the film and this was when the film briefly became interesting. Sadly this potential plot line was dispensed with pretty quickly apart from on instance of Dredd blowing up a drunk driver's car.

I stll watch the '95 film from time to time and I am no Stallone hater-I like a lot of his work but Judge Dredd was a disappointment.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

klute

Quote from: darnmarr on 21 June, 2012, 01:58:09 AM
I reckon there are elements of satire in the Stallone film: how ever seriously ourselves,or more importantly, our younger selves, took him as a character,- he really was that whole American 'dirty harry' thang taken to an absurd conclusion, from the outset.
Some elements of that did creep in to the film, and without an entirely self-conscious or unselfish-conscious tone to the whole story, those bits came across as just plain stoopid.

I reckon all that Klute is calling for here is less stoopid bits.

Indeed i really hated schneider in the film amongst other thing's but yeah less stupid more action for me...... if that upset's ABC then so be it,But there was enough comedy and satire in Stallone's film without really having to quote a particular scene,seem's to me that he has an axe to grind.

Not that any of the above matters after watching the trailer today i'm happy with first look and hope the rest is as good.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

CYCLOPZ

I've been thinking about this, and apart from the obvious in Jokes that we've been seeing in the background of shots, What Cinematographer Dod Mantle said about this film being a comment on violent films is dawning on me as being the crux of the satire.

This comment from a possible attendee at the preview screening the other night seems to confirm this:

'I have seen a sneak preview of this film and rest assured it is INCREDIBLE. The violence is grisly and absurd'  http://screenrant.com/dredd-trailer-sandy-181254/

I had the same feeling after reading the script a couple years ago, i.e ' The violence is way over the top - How're they going to get away with this and still be taken seriously?'

The Slo-Mo Drug is obviously a piss take of the Bay Richie Snyder trend of over using the effect. This has of course all been said before.

So I'm guessing Alex Garland was fairly tongue in cheek with a lot of the things he put into the script in the first place. On the surface it is itself one of those films, but any half thinking person will get the joke.

There's your Satire.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Syne on 21 June, 2012, 02:09:25 AM
I reckon there are elements of satire in the Stallone film: how ever seriously ourselves,or more importantly, our younger selves, took him as a character,- he really was that whole American 'dirty harry' thang taken to an absurd conclusion, from the outset.
Some elements of that did creep in to the film, and without an entirely self-conscious or unselfish-conscious tone to the whole story, those bits came across as just plain stoopid.

There's the "eat recycled food" advertising thing in the opening scenes, an attempt at satire that comes off as a inferior Robocop-type gag. There might be more such moments throughout the film, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to find out :D

That's the type of obvious satire I'm talking about and apart from that I can't remember any other obvious bits of satire.   I don't want many stupid bits either (if any) but I think Klute's getting stupid bits and satire mixed up.

Goaty

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: klute on 21 June, 2012, 02:24:28 PM

Indeed i really hated schneider in the film amongst other thing's but yeah less stupid more action for me...... if that upset's ABC then so be it,But there was enough comedy and satire in Stallone's film without really having to quote a particular scene,seem's to me that he has an axe to grind.

Not that any of the above matters after watching the trailer today i'm happy with first look and hope the rest is as good.

Yeah....there wasn't really much satire in Stallones film was there.   I think you're getting stupid comedy bits mixed up with satire.   Satire's an integral part of Dredd history and if you want a dumb action film fine....but please don't get satire (which can be pretty scathing) mixed up with stupid comedy bits and sidekicks.

klute

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 22 June, 2012, 06:31:15 PM

Yeah....there wasn't really much satire in Stallones film was there.   I think you're getting stupid comedy bits mixed up with satire.   Satire's an integral part of Dredd history and if you want a dumb action film fine....but please don't get satire (which can be pretty scathing) mixed up with stupid comedy bits and sidekicks.

Oh i don't have the two mixed up at all! and i'd rather a dumb action film than that bucket of spew produced in 95

I'd like to agree to disagree and move on,tbh it's getting boring......you're getting boring

YAWWWWNNNN "These aren't the droid's you're looking for move along!"

loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

JOE SOAP

All you dumb fucks are too stupid to realise that the '95 film was a razor-sharp satire on 'Judge Dredd' itself. Look at how they stripped the whole thing down, burnt those sacred cows like the uniform and the iconic helmet; made him a victim of his own justice; lampooned Dredd's classic lines, added a few more zingers then topped it all off with a kiss and a smile, Dredd reborn. Stallone certainly turned the tables on this dystopian dirge and made it something unique. He was way ahead of all ya and you still haven't caught up, fuckin' philistines.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: klute on 22 June, 2012, 07:03:19 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 22 June, 2012, 06:31:15 PM

Oh i don't have the two mixed up at all! and i'd rather a dumb action film than that bucket of spew produced in 95

I'd like to agree to disagree and move on,tbh it's getting boring......you're getting boring

YAWWWWNNNN "These aren't the droid's you're looking for move along!"

Oh I think you do have the 2 mixed up and not only that..............people criticised the 95 flick precisely because it was a dumb action flick and didn't capture the satire from the Dredd in comic form...so your argument's arse backwards.
I think it's fair to say that most Dredd fans don't want this to be just a dumb action flick.  They want something more intelligent.

If you want a dumb action flick then go and watch the 95 film.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 22 June, 2012, 09:01:16 PMI think it's fair to say that most Dredd fans don't want this to be just a dumb action flick.  They want something more intelligent.

It's more than that but it still may not be what you like.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 June, 2012, 09:13:43 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 22 June, 2012, 09:01:16 PMI think it's fair to say that most Dredd fans don't want this to be just a dumb action flick.  They want something more intelligent.

It's more than that but it still may not be what you like.

Are you talking about more satire.....if so then that's a start.   I'm off to see if I can watch the trailer now after problems with it yesterday.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 June, 2012, 07:29:45 PM
All you dumb fucks are too stupid to realise that the '95 film was a razor-sharp satire on 'Judge Dredd' itself. Look at how they stripped the whole thing down, burnt those sacred cows like the uniform and the iconic helmet; made him a victim of his own justice; lampooned Dredd's classic lines, added a few more zingers then topped it all off with a kiss and a smile, Dredd reborn. Stallone certainly turned the tables on this dystopian dirge and made it something unique. He was way ahead of all ya and you still haven't caught up, fuckin' philistines.

Go tell it on the mountain! I'm a believer, Brother!