Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

2000AD Prog 335: Free Poster 430mm X 550mm 2 new stories! Nemesis the Warlock Strontium Dog

Not my first prog, but this is the one where I feel I was approaching the point of no return...

sheridan

Lobo Baggins

The co-host on Heartline in the Graveyard Shift is based on Irish interviewer and presenter Eamonn Andrews, I think - same weird grin and 'ironed' hairstyle.

Stewart the lonely guy seems to be based on Dave Gorman (including clothes sense), which is weird as he would have been about 12 or so at the time...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Thanks Lobo - I knew Eamonn Andrews from This is your Life, but didn't have a clear image of what he looked like - I must only have seen a handful of episodes over thirty years ago.  I've actually met Dave Gorman after a show.  We told him we'd be back the following year (with my parents) and he warned us the material wasn't going to be changing in between - we told him we were happy with that and we just wanted to share the experience :-)  There was a great joke about a giraffe, but I wouldn't do it justice if I tried to tell it myself.

2000AD Prog 337: Something slimy this way comes... Join Nemesis at the Hatching!

Mega-City One is hotting up (especially Larry Hagman Conapts).  Things aren't hotting up in The Bride of Crom (but they will, they will).  The egg hots up on Gandarva, but I think that's part of the hatching process, so that's fine.  Moses Quest catches some heat.  A D-foil gets heated (in an explosive sense) and then Caliban gets heated too (in a 'fleet of Nort vessels chucking missiles at the island' sense).

sheridan

2000AD Prog 338: "Good evening, citizens..." "CRIME SWOOP!"

Why did it take Brother Kevin so long to finish Nemesis Book III?  The truth can be revealed!

sheridan

2000AD Prog 339: The siege of the century – in Nemesis the Warlock!

One block falls, the wickerman, Ydrasill, Big Jobs, Lyran sorcerors and vroogmen.

sheridan

2000AD Prog 340: The Siege of Ydrasill Castle

It's been - oh - weeks, since the last wraparound cover...

The Nether Worlds appears in Judge Dredd, the wickerman escape attempt begins, basilisks get stoned, the Westinghouse Variable Cartridge Blaster is sharing a few characteristics of the Lawgiver and the Souther Navy comes to the rescue.

sheridan

2000AD Prog 341: Sláine – The Bride of Crom

Pat Mills' Nerve Centre, the graveyard shift comes to an end, Sláine 'rescues' Medb, Slough Feg uses magic to create an army, Nemesis uses magic to rouse an army, Malak Brood uses magic to maintain an army, Rogue heads for a minefield.  Also - the first time I met Anderson!

sheridan

2000AD Prog 342: The Suspect "TALK!"

Magic in Sláine, Nemesis and Strontium Dog.  The undead in Sláine and Strontium Dog.  While the suspect walks through a metaphorical minefield in an interrogation with Judge Dredd.  Meanwhile some Southers walk through a literal minefield in Rogue Trooper (see what I did there?)

Colin YNWA

Arh one of the most fascinating covers. I'd swear blind it Cam Kennedy - and its listed as such on Barney BUT look at the bodies and I'd swear blind that was Robin Smith.

As Robin Smith was art editor at the time (I believe) he's probably touched it up BUT I wonder why, what was wrong / different about the original?

Always intrigued me that one... I lead a very dull life...

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 July, 2020, 03:33:09 PM
Arh one of the most fascinating covers. I'd swear blind it Cam Kennedy - and its listed as such on Barney BUT look at the bodies and I'd swear blind that was Robin Smith.

As Robin Smith was art editor at the time (I believe) he's probably touched it up BUT I wonder why, what was wrong / different about the original?

Definitely looks like Cam to me, though it is his very first Dredd work and we know from the rough for the Block Mania wraparound cover in the 2000AD Annual 1984 that Robin's layouts might not leave too much space for artistic deviation, so maybe he was just playing it safe in the early days?

Barney

Leigh S

The faces don't sow any trace of Robin Smith, but the glove and Dredds padding etc are totally Robin Smith - I'm presuming he took Cams art nad had a bodge at the lower bits to make the image work as he imagined it?

JayzusB.Christ

Which prog are you talking about? If it's the interrogation one, that's surely Cam.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 July, 2020, 09:58:24 AM

Which prog are you talking about? If it's the interrogation one, that's surely Cam.

Yep, that's the one - the face definitely is but now I'm looking closer some of the peripheral features don't seem to obvious.  Curse you, Colin, everything seemed so straight-forward! ;)

2000AD Prog 343: Clash of the War Droids!

The juves go to the jungle (not the one the intelligent apes live in, by the looks of it).  Sláine has double-trouble - Urien's guards are still chasing and he's suffering the creeping death.  Big jobs!  How would you react if the person you blamed for death of your son stole the body then returned it to you as a zombie?  Rogue the gasbah, Rogue the gasbah!

sheridan

Eep!  So caught up in the Space Spinner 2000 Starlordathon I forgot to post this!

2000AD Prog 344: Created by robots – consumed by humes! Rogue Trooper Killers in the night! The Gasbah Part 2

Bob of the Y-Bobs from Bob Marks Block, RIP.
Uncle Pat lays out the plot for the next few years (on the quiet).
Sir Evric has domestic problems.
Wulf and Johnny get help from an unlikely quarter.
An alien (but we know it's Nort) assassination attempt by snake.