Main Menu

Prog 2191 - Let's Boogie!

Started by Leigh S, 18 July, 2020, 12:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Dredd will eat itself

Full tilt has a bit of a talky episode here and I'd have reconfigured the cliffhanger to not take the sting out if it, but enjoying it for all its odd pacing at times

Diaboliks feels like it is deliberately setting itself in the same world as Dr Sin, let alone Caballistics -this is a good thing.

The Order I have lost track of too far past, so no ready until such time as I eer get to a reread

The Out swerves from where it might have one, with hume 2 mainly there to help give Cyd a push in a direction that otherwise (and kinds still does) feel a bit plot driven rather than character driven - but can't complain as where it is going should be interesting stuff.

JimmyNailz

Is their any Rebellion comic that character DOESN'T appear in? #Dredd

Leigh S

Indeed.

Judge Dredd - HE IS THE LAW! (of diminiishing returns)

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 18 July, 2020, 02:38:39 PM
Is their any Rebellion comic that character DOESN'T appear in? #Dredd

Richard

An eye-catching cover by Alex Ronald! That will certainly attract new readers, if there are any in the shops these days.

Dredd -- okay, that's enough of [spoiler]Shako[/spoiler] now.

Full Tilt Boogie is as good as ever. Seems to be approaching a conclusion now.

Diaboliks is mainly setting up the next episode, but I liked the line where the detective turns out to be asking for [spoiler]priests instead of forensics.[/spoiler] And also the line about Salvatore's problem.

I don't normally like The Order, but this episode is a good one. A pretty horrifying situation to be stuck in.

The Out took a direction I didn't expect with the new character introduced last week. We also get [spoiler]an answer to the mystery of why Cyd hasn't been paid lately[/spoiler], and I think that convincingly explains why Cyd decides to do what she decides to do. Next week's episode will be action-packed, presumably.

A solid prog this week.

Colin YNWA

Well we could pretend there's nothing to worry about. We could happily look at the fact that prior to the final page its a fine Dredd episode. Or that its just a name. We could wish it was just [spoiler]the Eskimo name for bear [/spoiler]- but I think we know that's poppycock right. Or we can just take it as a bit of cute harmless fun... but it feels pretty weak for all the reasons I'm sure we'll hear, but mainly cos it will be all that and still add nothing to the actual story... except serving as a distraction for an otherwise effective Dredd episode... and probably a lot else in the Prog aside... I mean I've not even mentioned the lovely cover have I!

Mind it doesn't distract from the fact that Full Tilt Boogie has a fine episode, the art gets better and that ending sure turns things around an interesting corner not doesn't it. 

Diaboliks has a springy fun episode - enjoyed it and let battle commence... I hope Damien makes it out the other side he's a great character.

The Order... arh so it was the voice that mattered at the end of last episode... kinda hard to convey in a comic... nice origin Armoured Gideon - and setting up a possible return for Jerubaal as well - just in time for a well dramatic ending. Wonderful stuff.

The Out just gets better and better. I adore the interchange between Cyd and George and the way they part. Cyd's reasons for finding new purpose are also fantastic. This is superb.

So yeah the whole [spoiler]bear[/spoiler] thing could have been a silly distraction, but luckily the rest of the comic is strong enough that it didn't matter for long.

Oh and doesn't 'Pandora Perfect' look like its got potential in Thrills of the Future.

Jacqusie

I'm really trying hard, but still feeling a disconnect to End of Days, more than I've ever experienced with a Rob Williams script.

Don't get me wrong, the concept is brilliant, but it just seems such a huge global event that we didn't get warmed up for. The ideas on here surrounding a set of prologue stories which would have helped lead us into events seem to be practical in fleshing out some of the ideas and characters, especially the backstory to the prophecy / Ichabod. The flying visits with little plot development and space for dialogue are hard to get my head around.

I do really like the idea that we could have read an Ichabod Azrael story (B&W) that we only realise at the end when he sets eyes on MC1, is a precursor to End of Days and bleeds into colour... remember Hewligans Haircut?!   ;)

Richard

Each to their own. I'm happy to just jump into the action. Lots of stories that don't have proper endings because they're obviously just prologue to some bigger story we have to wait six months for tries my patience.

Greg M.

Yeah - there's other criticisms I could level at this story, but I've got no problem with the lack of lead-up. There's no shortage of contemporary 2000AD stories that are endlessly setting things up - fair play to Williams for just getting stuck in this time.

McNulty

I don't think it's a good idea to evacuate citizens to the Undercity - it's got troggies, rogue robots, criminals evading arrest, werewolves, xenomorphs and vampires.

Richard

Judges have got silver bullets. It'll be fine.

JimmyNailz

Dredd - I enjoyed the panic onboard Justice 2 and escalating situation back in the Big Meg. Also, have got QUITE the crush on the Judge stood with Logan at the bottom of page 2. What's her name?
I wasn't a fan of the end reveal, and do worry that this is "all a dream" and Dredds journey through British comics history.

Full Tilt Boogie - Not my favourite episode of this series, but still a series I'm enjoying. I'm just disappointed we didn't get to a honeymoon beach planet, OK??

Diaboliks - Great stuff. I really like the pace to each episode of this. The artwork continues to be gorgeous. Looking forward to the battle to come.

The Order - Roared along and challenged us to keep up, as ever. Really liked the horror of the final page.

The Out - continues to be brilliant and this week has a cameo from George Clooney! Loving it!

JimmyNailz

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 July, 2020, 08:57:12 PM
Oh and doesn't 'Pandora Perfect' look like its got potential in Thrills of the Future.

I 100% agree about how great Pandora Perfect looks. A real classic sounding/looking character. Look forward to reading it.

sheridan

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 21 July, 2020, 10:19:18 AM
Dredd - I enjoyed the panic onboard Justice 2 and escalating situation back in the Big Meg. Also, have got QUITE the crush on the Judge stood with Logan at the bottom of page 2. What's her name?

Judge Patrick, I think?

A.Cow

Quote from: sheridan on 22 July, 2020, 02:25:44 AM
Quote from: JimmyNailz on 21 July, 2020, 10:19:18 AM
Judge Patrick, I think?

Patrick is on Justice 2 with Dredd.
The judge stood with Logan is (presumably) Han. If so, Flint draws her quite differently to MacNeil.