Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

I really love Trifecta and Every empire falls, but there's been a couple of "group trying to take the city from the judges" stories which I wish could'v had a bit more to go on than the usual 2-3 eps and then getting shut down by the judges.

Some threat which is given some time and grows into something the judges then pervert. Like they did with the democracy movement. Doesn't even need to be a direct threat.

Arkady

I'd like to see some actual contemporary issues being satirised. Cosmopolitanism vs nationalism. Perpetual growth vs environmentalism. Failed economic models vs new thinking. There's so much they could do, and post-Day of Chaos gives them lots of space to do it. They do have their eye on the ball with the Trump stuff though.

abelardsnazz

Maybe Enceladus will be in the third Dredd volume of the Ultimate Collection with Dark Justice.

Jade Falcon

Right, Ive picked up, but still to read Lawless.

Are we sure that Issue 90 is the last one, because the spine Image makes it look otherwise.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

Yep, it's done at 90. And Lawless is superb.

Arkady

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 10 May, 2018, 12:26:22 AM

Are we sure that Issue 90 is the last one, because the spine Image makes it look otherwise.

The sketchbook that was sent to Ultimate Collection subscribers shows the full sketch of the extension art, which was evidently designed so that the full image would accomodate 100 issues. I wonder what the shortlist was for the absent final ten.

Leigh S

Quote from: Apestrife on 04 May, 2018, 05:18:24 PM
I really love Trifecta and Every empire falls, but there's been a couple of "group trying to take the city from the judges" stories which I wish could'v had a bit more to go on than the usual 2-3 eps and then getting shut down by the judges.

Some threat which is given some time and grows into something the judges then pervert. Like they did with the democracy movement. Doesn't even need to be a direct threat.

I felt they missed a trick by ending "Every Empire" so neatly- having MC1 uncover teh invasion by stealth early enough t stop it, but not having the power to retaliate would ahve been a much more powerful ending, leaving Texas City as a looming threat on the doorstep

Apestrife

Quote from: Leigh S on 13 May, 2018, 06:38:07 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 04 May, 2018, 05:18:24 PM

I felt they missed a trick by ending "Every Empire" so neatly- having MC1 uncover teh invasion by stealth early enough t stop it, but not having the power to retaliate would ahve been a much more powerful ending, leaving Texas City as a looming threat on the doorstep

While I enjoyed it's action movie rout ([spoiler]teleporting a baddie alá KABOOM[/spoiler]), that would'v been really cool. Would follow the tune of DoC and Dark Justice in a "good" way  :)

Also adding to the talk Barb and Joe has [spoiler]about the MC1 cits probably being too starved to ignite anything. [/spoiler].

When to think of it. [spoiler]Feeding MC1 cits. What if that had consequences
for tex cits? Could'v also been a grim and interesting thing to hint at.[/spoiler]

Jade Falcon

Read Lawless, and I must admit that I was a bit unsure at the beginning.  It quickly became a very appealing storyline.  A tiny niggle was the "So said X character" bit.  It just became, I don't know, not irritating, but redundant.

Artwork was beautiful, nicely detailed.  I'm only disappointed we won't be getting any more in the collection.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Arkady on 13 May, 2018, 06:28:33 PM

The sketchbook that was sent to Ultimate Collection subscribers shows the full sketch of the extension art, which was evidently designed so that the full image would accomodate 100 issues. I wonder what the shortlist was for the absent final ten.

Intriguing question, given the quality of material we're seeing in the extension.

If the Tooth collection hadn't happened, would the three Dredd volumes from that have been included here? Maybe other volumes of one artist - Ron Smith, Ian Gibson?

I know we don't know the contents of the final Anderson volume, but are there enough stories to fill another?

Possible others:
Dead Zone
Serial Serial
Hershey solo stories
DeMarco solo stories by Michael Carroll
Enceladus
Error/Question of Judgement
Blood Trails
Blood of Satanus

All academic of course, but fun to speculate.

Arkady

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 15 May, 2018, 12:29:26 PM
Quote from: Arkady on 13 May, 2018, 06:28:33 PM

Intriguing question, given the quality of material we're seeing in the extension.

If the Tooth collection hadn't happened, would the three Dredd volumes from that have been included here? Maybe other volumes of one artist - Ron Smith, Ian Gibson?

I know we don't know the contents of the final Anderson volume, but are there enough stories to fill another?

Possible others:
Dead Zone
Serial Serial
Hershey solo stories
DeMarco solo stories by Michael Carroll
Enceladus
Error/Question of Judgement
Blood Trails
Blood of Satanus

All academic of course, but fun to speculate.

Book of the Dead!

IndigoPrime

That's already in the collection, depressingly. It's a chunk of Beyond Mega-City One (vol. 56).

Arkady

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 May, 2018, 03:55:53 PM
That's already in the collection, depressingly. It's a chunk of Beyond Mega-City One (vol. 56).

Ha, no way. It was my first Dredd story, and the art is awesome, so I'm more forgiving than most.

robert_ellis

I'd love to have seen the Cullen Hershey collected & it's really annoying that return of the king & Kenny Who are in the Ultimate Collection. Overall it's been a great series.

Apestrife

Quote from: robert_ellis on 15 May, 2018, 07:19:34 PM
I'd love to have seen the Cullen Hershey collected & it's really annoying that return of the king & Kenny Who are in the Ultimate Collection. Overall it's been a great series.

Least the wait wasnt that long. Hope Dark justice follows suit. Really curious about that one.