Main Menu

FINAL - Dan Abnett or Pat Mills - For the Godpleton Cup

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 June, 2020, 06:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

"We are voting for favourite, not best - so how much you like their body of work WRITING, not editing etc -  quality of their work first, with quantity as a secondary factor."
Dan Abnett

paddykafka

I first started buying 2000AD on a regular basis because of Slaine. After that I was hooked!

Among the many wonderful creations of Pat Mills, some of my other favourites are Nemesis & Torquemada; the ABC Warriors (in particular - Deadlock), Defoe, Satanus and The Visible Man (which still creeps me out to this day,lol). And what can I say about Flesh?! That is, the original blood-soaked version from Tooth's early days. The more recent B&W update just did not appeal to me.

But by contrast, I much prefer the current incarnation of Savage - especially its nod to the whole "Secret Army" TV series vibe, (and thankfully strip did not stray into Allo, Allow territory).  :)

With regard to the works of Dan Abnett, I remain a huge fan of his stories, especially the likes of Feral & Foe and Sinister & Dexter.

But in light of the fact that I owe my addiction to the Galaxy's greatest comic, and the many great thrills, laughs and straight gasps of "Wow!", to many of the best moments in the prog's history which he has created over so many years, I'm gonna have to tip my hat and vote in favour of the inestimable Pat Mills

Sorry Dan, it was truly a tough choice to make. I will continue to read with great joy the ongoing adventures of some of the great characters you have gifted the Prog with. And I'm hoping - nay, demanding! - a return of Feral & Foe in the near future. I'm really hoping that the titular characters have somehow managed to survive.

moly

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 June, 2020, 10:09:59 PM
Quote from: WhizzBang on 26 June, 2020, 09:16:15 PM
Kingdom in this thread and the Rebellion 20 years one. I joined this story in the middle somewhere and have never been able to make any sense of it. Perhaps I need to go back to the beginnning and find out what it is about.

You should, you really chuffin' should.

I second Colin here, Kingdom is a must. I really hope to see it continue one day (it was finished in a satisfying way but left very open ended). And don't forget to read the novel Kingdom: Fiefdom which is just as good as the comics. More Kingdom novels please!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

Cheers, thanks for the link. Nice interview, I'm very pleased to see they are planning more Kingdom. Although it could be a while, it will be well worth the wait.

IndigoPrime

Kingdom at first: why are all these giant dogs talking like Mad Max? HMMMM. Kingdom after two series: this is a bit bloody good. Kingdom thereafter: WHEN IS THE NEXT KINGDOM?

Colin YNWA

This one is still very, very close, I think. Every vote will count as we get to the end. Closing this one in the morning and the Godpleton cup will be awarded.

broodblik

This one is very much current form versus nostalgic form
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 01 July, 2020, 06:46:29 AM
This one is very much current form versus nostalgic form

That's certainly the way I see it. Though nostalgic might not be the way many see it, rather first Golden Age (TM) vs nuGolden Age (TM) - though I'm sure there are many who like Uncle Pat's new stuff, I certainly like a chunk of it, but not all by far.

Greg M.

I wouldn't call it nostalgia. It's simply who's written stories you enjoy the most. Shakespeare doesn't knock out that many decent plays these days, but when you've written Hamlet, you've written Hamlet.

IndigoPrime

I suspect there is some nostalgia in it. That really comes down to whether you remember things being fun/interesting/good, or if you've read them relatively recently. For me, Nemesis is great rather than was great, and I find that an important distinction. (Compare to Harry 20, which was fun when I read it as a kid, but is now middling and horribly dated, like a lot of 2000 AD of the era—including, for me, Rogue Trooper and Invasion.)

broodblik

I voted on current form and although I really like Mills work his recent work just do not do him any justice.

An I though that Hamlet was there to punish the young for being young,jubilant, vibrant and alive.   :D

James Stacey

Has to be Dabnett for me. I loved Nemesis back in the day but other than Savage (and not always Savage) Pat's recent work does nothing for me I'm afraid. Abnett is constantly inventive, witty and fun to read. Uncle Pat isn't any more.

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!