Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Ghost Stories

Desperately wanted to see this in the theatre but just couldn't make it so was so looking forward to the film...Which is a bit pants.

Not scary, the twist is fairly obvious, and the whole thing is rather mundane.

I love portmanteau films like Tales From The Crypt, Dr Terror's House of Horrors, Creepshow, and the House That Dripped Blood but Ghost Stories pales in comparison.

I really wanted to love it. 4/10

JamesC

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 April, 2018, 02:25:00 PM
Isle of Dogs. Can't say I'm familiar with Wes Anderson's oeuvre* but I rather liked it. Whimsical, charming, distinctly odd. Given a fairly specific time window to squeeze a movie in, it was this, Ready Player One or Pacific Rim: Uprising. To my considerable surprise, I'm glad I went with this...

*Apart from Nightmare on Elm Street. This seems a bit of a departure, stylistically...

Wes Anderson is the Grand Budapest Hotel and Royal Tenenbaums bloke.

A Nightmare on Elm Street is Wes Craven.

You're probably going to say you were joking and I've spoiled it but it's really hard to tell sometimes.
Anyway, I was tempted by Isle of Dogs - I really like the style of animation but it's Wes Anderson that's putting me off a bit. I'm not really a fan of his self consciously quirky style and tend to find his films annoying. I might give this a go though as I've heard lots of good things about it.

Woolly

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 April, 2018, 02:25:00 PM
*Apart from Nightmare on Elm Street. This seems a bit of a departure, stylistically...

Please tell me you've not mistaken Wes Anderson for Wes Craven...

*edit*
Ah. Beaten to it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 08 April, 2018, 03:52:56 PM
You're probably going to say you were joking and I've spoiled it but it's really hard to tell sometimes.

I was joking and you've spoiled it. I'll concede that it really wasn't a very good joke, however.

On the film itself, the only other Wes Anderson film I've seen is Grand Budapest Hotel, which I really enjoyed. Even on that limited basis, I think I'd have identified Isle of Dogs as another Anderson film so I think that if GBH annoyed you, this probably will, too! OTOH, it's reasonably short (1hr40) so it might not outstay its welcome.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Buttonman

Isle of Dogs was great - really funny and touching and witty and clever. Great personalities in the puppets and even the celebrity voices weren't too distracting.

Wes Anderson is probably my favourite director with 'Rushmore' my favourite film. That and 'The Royal Tennenbaums' are great Anderson starter choices although every one of his films is a visual and writing treat.

Even his ads are great - check out this one he did for Prada : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b87B7zyucgI

Tjm86

Well, a night to myself last night with the girls out at the theatre / sleepover.  Finally got round to watching Alien Covenant.  Maybe having set sights incredibly low was an advantage but I was pleasantly surprised.  Quite a few bits that had either been telegraphed so far in advance or were such obvious plot contrivances that they could be seen a mile away but I did like the way they were handled (the accelerating heartbeat monitor was a natty little touch) and a couple of nice nods to the original film.   I don't think that they have ever fully captured the full glory of the original film (Aliens was enjoyable but so stylistically incongruous in comparison for me) but this was not the most horrendous use of an evening I thought.

As an aside, having lost count of the number of times they've re-released these on DVD / Blu ray etc but how many of the more recent re-releases include the 'directors cut' versions?

Theblazeuk

FWIW, I think Grand Budapest is maybe the least Wes Andersony of Wes Anderson films. My favourite too.

I watched Red 2 and Hitman's Bodyguard. Both pretty dumb popcorn movies, completely forgettable but explodey and shooty enough. Red 2 is far better than the latter though it's not saying much (the latter thinks it's central conceit is way more interesting than it actually is).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 April, 2018, 05:59:46 PM
Wes Anderson is probably my favourite director with 'Rushmore' my favourite film.

While maybe not my favourite film in my 10 ten no doubt and better than my other favourite Anderson flick The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, which seems to get a needless hard time?

abelardsnazz

Ghostbusters, 2016 version. A good mix of action and comedy, with fun cameos from the original cast.

Tiplodocus

LIFEFORCE
Yes, the naked space vampire one.
Actually cheesy fun with some outright unbelievably bad characterisation (Peter Firth as the wettest SAS man ever), bad science and laughable security precautions. The potential alien threat is secured by locking it in a room with wood and glass windows. Our cats are more secure when I shut them in the dining room. The ending erupts in a mad apocalypse, Frank Finlay has a brilliant in character final line and by the time it finished I was wishing it was a six part HBO serial.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin Zeal

Spider Man:Homecoming which was a good film but I all I could think was thank God someone at Sony had the good sense to realise that they were making terrible films and getting on the coat tails of the MCU was the best option available.

Theblazeuk

Annihilation - My wife read the book yesterday so we watched it together. I enjoyed it more than she did but we both felt it was a little lacking, largely in the conclusion. Which would always have been difficult but the end [spoiler]of Area X/The Shimmer with the burning of the doppleganger was probably the least satisfying element [/spoiler]. Loved, loved the [spoiler]bear, though the attached use of guns and physical danger was also a big departure from the source[/spoiler].

Apestrife

Twin Peaks: Fire walk with me Last time I saw it I had just recently finished binge watching Twin Peaks season 1-2, and was somewhat dreading "having to watch" the lost pieces after it just before Season 3 hit.

Having just watched the movie now, on it's own, just before rewatching The return it's a whole other beast. One of the most painful films I'v seen, and in a good way. Sheryl Lee's portrayal is brutal. Powerful and painful to watch. Fantastic actress. The lack of weirdness in the later half of the film makes her downward spiral even more heavy. Almost felt like it was a safety that had been taken from me.

Last time I watched season 3 I was mostly interested in the weird bits and to see what was up with Cooper. This time around I feel I'll be much more invested in the trauma caused by Laura's life and death.

Mardroid

I never quite understood what that weird sequence with David Bowie in FBI HQ was about... but I love the fact it's there.

Apestrife

Quote from: Mardroid on 09 April, 2018, 06:30:09 PM
I never quite understood what that weird sequence with David Bowie in FBI HQ was about... but I love the fact it's there.

Such a lovely and strange scene  :lol:

I connect it to the disappearance of agent Desmond and Cooper. That he came from where they went. Arriving in a vision, a bit like Cooper later does when he is asking Laura not to take the ring.