Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Saw this last night - it was a lot of fun. The plot is a little flimsy* and the twists are hit and miss - I thought one surprise reveal concerning a certain villain worked great, while another similar twist regarding a second villain feels a bit incongruous and didn't really work for me, and overall it all feels a bit too meta and irreverent to really count as a great standalone Spider-Man film (imo)... but the visuals are the main selling point here, and it's worth seeing for them alone. Genuinely fresh and original, and looks unlike anything I've seen before.

*Did they even explain where the spider that bit Miles came from? It all seemed quite vague. Quite a lot of the plot points felt a bit glossed over and you just had to go along with it and not think about it too much.

Apestrife

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 February, 2019, 09:31:45 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 11 February, 2019, 08:45:35 PM
How's the first one? Anyone seen it?

Really good. Although I haven't (yet) seen the second, everyone seems to think it's better than the first, so you might not enjoy it as much watching them in reverse order...

Still sounds like it's worth a try :)

CalHab

Quote from: radiator on 12 February, 2019, 12:05:32 AM
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
*Did they even explain where the spider that bit Miles came from? It all seemed quite vague. Quite a lot of the plot points felt a bit glossed over and you just had to go along with it and not think about it too much.

The way it flickered suggests to me that it came over in the huge dimension-ray-thing that Kingpin built. I've had to spend the last week explaining alternate dimensions, Spider-Ham, who Spider-Gwen is and why there were two Peter Parkers to my daughter. She has taken it in her stride. I thought it was great.

Paddington and Paddington 2 are both excellent. The second film shades the first, purely for some brilliant set pieces (window washing and barbers) and Hugh Grant's best-performance-ever. The first one does have it's own wonderful moments, though.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Got free tickets for Battle Angel Alita tomorrow... will report back
Lock up your spoons!

wedgeski

Paddington 2
Lovely film. Lots of fun and lots of heart. +5 Joy gained from watching it. Can never grow to old to enjoy this sort of film.

Excellent -- much better than the trailer made it look!

dweezil2

Quote from: wedgeski on 12 February, 2019, 12:15:14 PM
Paddington 2
Lovely film. Lots of fun and lots of heart. +5 Joy gained from watching it. Can never grow to old to enjoy this sort of film.

Excellent -- much better than the trailer made it look!

Another massive thumbs up for Paddington 2!
A modern kids film that actually doesn't talk down to its audience and Hugh Grant was brilliant!
Something truly special!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dweezil2

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 February, 2019, 08:34:38 AM
Got free tickets for Battle Angel Alita tomorrow... will report back

At least the tickets were free!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

radiator

While they're both wonderful (probably my favourite film series of the last decade), I actually think the first Paddington is slightly better than the second. The family characters feel a little sidelined in the sequel, and the first film also packs more of an emotional punch I would say - the scene where Paddington gets his coat, and the one where he first meets the Browns (and the lost/found sign illumination) almost make me tear up just thinking about them.

The Paddington films didn't do especially well in the US, so when I rave about them to people here they give me a very suspicious look, as the trailers do indeed make them look awful.

Last I heard the director is now working on a Willy Wonka reboot for Warner - hope that doesn't mean we won't be getting a third Paddington.

Apestrife

I'll definitely pick up Paddington when I get the chance then. Sounds great  :)

I've heard that the director of the first two will still be involved in some extent. Producer or such. With some luck it'll be something similar.

Some people at work had also seen it. They loved it as well. Liked it as much as the kids did.

von Boom

Quote from: radiator on 12 February, 2019, 05:34:21 PM
While they're both wonderful (probably my favourite film series of the last decade), I actually think the first Paddington is slightly better than the second. The family characters feel a little sidelined in the sequel, and the first film also packs more of an emotional punch I would say - the scene where Paddington gets his coat, and the one where he first meets the Browns (and the lost/found sign illumination) almost make me tear up just thinking about them.

The Paddington films didn't do especially well in the US, so when I rave about them to people here they give me a very suspicious look, as the trailers do indeed make them look awful.

Last I heard the director is now working on a Willy Wonka reboot for Warner - hope that doesn't mean we won't be getting a third Paddington.
Not to worry.
http://collider.com/paddington-3/

Also I imagine Paddington 1/2 were/will be well received on streaming services.

Pyroxian

Lego Movie 2 - I think I enjoyed it even more than the first one, and I really enjoyed the first one. Laughed most of the way through it - there's so many little references and jokes in there, I probably missed about 50% of them...

Mattofthespurs

Prince of Darkness

John Carpenter's not-very-good film from 1987 but in 4k.

Apparently you can polish a turd.

It's still a poor film but, wow! In 4k it looks amazing.

von Boom

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 13 February, 2019, 02:59:20 PM
Prince of Darkness

John Carpenter's not-very-good film from 1987 but in 4k.

Apparently you can polish a turd.

It's still a poor film but, wow! In 4k it looks amazing.
Not-very-good? I think this is a wonderfully creepy film. Now I must have a 4K version.

Hawkmumbler

The visions of the future scenes are pure Lovecraftian horror and really make the movie.

Greg M.

Prince of Darkness is easily my favourite Carpenter movie. The Thing is probably objectively better, but Prince of Darkness has Dennis Dun.