Main Menu

What to do with Large Collection

Started by wattsy213, 31 May, 2019, 04:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wattsy213

Hi all

I was very generously given a large collection of 2000Ad comics a few years back. I have spent some time reading as many as time allows. I really am a Dredd fan now. After moving yet again I really don't have room for the collection anymore and I have no idea what to do.

I have prog 1 to 1340 in 14 large boxes. Everytime I think I will shift them I start reading again and just move them back into the corner BUT I think it time to make a decicion, I am unlickly to reread the ones I have read and will probably never get around to reading each and everyone one of them.

I don't know what to do and what is worth keeping and selling. Any advice would be great!

I also have the first 15 of crisis, No1 has been singed by the writers and artist, I do love re-reading that lot!

Thanks in advance

IndigoPrime

Most 2000 ADs aren't worth much. Early issues, if in good condition, can sometimes shift for a decent amount, though. You'd be unlucky to get much less than 100 quid each for the first few Progs, for example. And quite a few of the pre-100 ones will go for a reasonable sum, although certainly not three figures. Diminishing returns after that, mind.

I'd be tempted to try and offload the lot as a single collection at first, although you'll perhaps be lucky to find a buyer. That said, there are people scouring eBay for a pre-packed and ready collection of Progs, and so you might be fortunate. I'm not sure what I'd suggest for pricing though. Otherwise, sell the early Progs individually, and offload the others in big chunks.

Colin YNWA

As ever with these things if you sell them as a job lot you won't get as much as you would if you sold everything on its own BUT you'll struggle to shift them all individually and will likely end up selling the sort after comics. A few random others and then have lots and bits and bats you'll need to shift over a long time or give away.

If you really want to shift them do as Indigo Prime says, but brace yourself if you think you'll retire on it. The other option is to sell the first 100 or so individually as they may well shift for decent price and then shift the rest as cheap job lot bundles of 100 or so. The only issue there is there are some of the earlier issues, post 100 that seem to be gaining some traction in the back issue market, first Death and Anderson and first Rogue spring to mind. BUT if you pull them out individually you might struggle to shift the surrounding issues?

All that said things can always surprise you either way and anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay at any given time. In this eBay is your friend for research. As ever though don't look ay 'Buy it now' prices as many of those are the stuff of fantasy. Look at auctions and those that sell as your guide.

Good luck.

Frank

The current thing to do seems to be to start a Facebook group with a name that reads like a series of Instagram #tags then announce you're selling a load of early issues on ebay for 1p to fund a '2000ad-themed' Kickstarter, but refuse to provide any information regarding what that Kickstarter project is supposed to be or why you're selling stuff to fund a Kickstarter despite the only purpose of Kickstarters being to fund stuff that isn't a Kickstarter.

For all I know, the guy behind it's a completely sincere nerd with difficulty expressing his ideas, but so far it's all sounding a lot like the first minute of the trailer for Wild Wild Country.

I mean, I joined the group, just to see what insanity unfolds, but I fully expect to be selling pencils on a street corner this time next year. Or maybe lurking in the bushes outside Margot Robbie's Hollywood bungalow with a set of steak knives; who can say?

wattsy213

Thanks all for the replies. Are 2000AD not that sort after then after 100? What is the reason for this? American comics go like mad it seems.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: wattsy213 on 01 June, 2019, 08:31:26 AM
Thanks all for the replies. Are 2000AD not that sort after then after 100? What is the reason for this? American comics go like mad it seems.

Everyone recognises Batman, Superman and Spiderman. No one recognises Ant Wars or Nemesis.

'tis the quirk of an anthology.

You could hold on to them and join the inevitable selling bandwagon when the Rogue Trooper movie is released.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

The idea that Anerica comics go like mad might be misleading you too. Certain sort after issues certainly do, as with 2000ad. Then there's a decent middle ground that you would shift at an okay price. After that there are literally tens of thousands that you would only shift at rock bottom prices, or with that bit of luck that someone just happens to see it at the right time.

Comics are so much more available than they were back in the day the back issue market is pretty down on what it was say 20 year ago even.

Frank

Whack the lot on ebay and accept the highest bid. There are a few Facebook groups that allow sales - this is the one with the largest membership:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/388712724794261/

Some US comics - but not nearly as many as punters imagine - are worth a lot of money because characters like Batman & Superman have become famous enough that wealthy individuals who aren't even into comics think having a framed copy of Action Comics #1 hanging in their dental surgery or legal practice is an acceptable substitute for having a personality.

Most interesting or new things in US comics happened in the thirties or sixties; most US comics from the same period as 2000ad are worth the same as old copies of 2000ad.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 June, 2019, 10:07:18 AM

The idea that Anerica comics go like mad might be misleading you too. Certain sort after issues certainly do,

Okay, I let it go once but if you're both joining in ... it's SOUGHT after - past tense of seek
*disengage grammar-nazi mode*

Colin YNWA

Yeah but I mean 'sort after' as in the the good comics you sort after the rubbish ones. Its a commonly used phrase round our way...

... seamless no one will suss that one.

Matty_e

Quote from: Frank on 31 May, 2019, 06:01:44 PM

The current thing to do seems to be to start a Facebook group with a name that reads like a series of Instagram #tags then announce you're selling a load of early issues on ebay for 1p to fund a '2000ad-themed' Kickstarter, but refuse to provide any information regarding what that Kickstarter project is supposed to be or why you're selling stuff to fund a Kickstarter despite the only purpose of Kickstarters being to fund stuff that isn't a Kickstarter.

For all I know, the guy behind it's a completely sincere nerd with difficulty expressing his ideas, but so far it's all sounding a lot like the first minute of the trailer for Wild Wild Country.

I mean, I joined the group, just to see what insanity unfolds, but I fully expect to be selling pencils on a street corner this time next year. Or maybe lurking in the bushes outside Margot Robbie's Hollywood bungalow with a set of steak knives; who can say?
Funny. And entirely accurate. He sent me a lengthy message about his Kickstarter in an effort to take the scutiny off-line. It was about 400 words long and I still have no idea what his Kickstarter is.

maryanddavid

From my experience, anything pre 520, if they are in good nick there is interest in. From 520-100, if you get £100 for the lot go with it, and after 1000 there can be some interest, best sold in year batches.