Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tjm86 on 19 April, 2020, 04:07:13 PM
Following developments in the States as protests over the lockdown grow and the President complements them!!!!!!!

Not entirely sure the human race is going to get through this after all.  :-(

I had to put the computer away and go to my happy place when I read that. I mean: I know he's a horrible man - he's proved it time and again. But to foment armed rebellion against his political opponents during a national health crisis is ... AAAAARGH!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

It's not a health crisis to him though, is it? It's an election campaign, like every other day of his presidency has been.

radiator

It can be hard to see what the end goal is by tacitly supporting the protests when reopening would lead to huge numbers of dead, but the best analysis I've heard is that what Trump is actually doing is basically absolving himself of all responsibility and, in his mind, improving his chances of reelection.

He is egging on the protests (most of which are apparently being orchestrated by shady right wing interest groups, some with connections to his own administration) in the full knowledge that one way or another the lockdown will stay in effect (even if the government ordered everything to reopen tomorrow, the vast majority of people are too scared to go back to their regular lives). That way, when all the dust has settled and the number of lives lost is (hopefully) far lower than initially projected, he can turn around and attack all of the democratic state governors for 'overreacting' and damaging the economy, even though it's only their 'overreaction' that avoided the worst case scenario.

To his supporters, he will not be seen as responsible for the deaths or the damage to the economy, and by stirring up controversy and outrage will have distracted everyone from his bungling of the crisis.

Totally cynical, totally disgusting.

M.I.K.

Donald Trump has now suggested injecting disinfectant as a thing that should be looked into.

I mean...  ...that's just...  ...how can...   ...What?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: M.I.K. on 24 April, 2020, 04:14:42 AM
Donald Trump has now suggested injecting disinfectant as a thing that should be looked into.

And really powerful tanning beds. I'm not making that up. Ultraviolet light. Maybe from the inside instead, though:

Quote"So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it's ultraviolet or just a very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn't been checked because of the testing," Trump said. "And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're going to test that, too."

In case you missed the results of Donnie's last genius suggestion: Study finds Chloroquine useless in treating Covid-19, but useful if you want to kill 17% of study participants
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

shaolin_monkey

It would not surprise me in the slightest if he has shares in tanning salons and bleach manufacturers.

sheridan

Did this one get posted here yet?

Some people actually follow Trump's medical advice (and, of course, die as a result).

paddykafka

Yep. I imagine sales of Dettol will go through the roof now.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: sheridan on 24 April, 2020, 09:09:44 AM

Did this one get posted here yet?

Some people actually follow Trump's medical advice (and, of course, die as a result).

Do they still do the Darwin awards?
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

TordelBack

Don't think you'd qualify for Darwin if you're following the advice of the President standing on a platform with the country's top medical experts. I appreciate that this is tank cleaner we're talking about, but that's why chemists and prescriptions exist, to supply the correct compounds. Trump's literal exhortation in this case was for people to "just try it!".

Ol' Handshake Johnson, now he'd have been in with a shot.

Tjm86

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 April, 2020, 04:21:25 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 19 April, 2020, 04:07:13 PM
Following developments in the States as protests over the lockdown grow and the President complements them!!!!!!!

Not entirely sure the human race is going to get through this after all.  :-(

I had to put the computer away and go to my happy place when I read that. I mean: I know he's a horrible man - he's proved it time and again. But to foment armed rebellion against his political opponents during a national health crisis is ... AAAAARGH!

.... aaaaand he tops it.  So, medical advice from Trump:

- do nothing, it is all a conspiracy by the Democrats.
- inject yourself with disinfectant.
- sit under a sun lamp.
- fish cleaning tablets.
- 9mm trepanning.

Sorry folks but I think there is only one thing left to say, and apologies for the vulgarity here:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!

Richard

All hyperbole and exaggeration aside, I honestly think he must have dementia. They should get a psychiatrist to check him.

Professor Bear

This has happened largely because journalists have worked very hard to ensure that people do not trust them or their profession - though to be entirely fair, I do not think journalists foresaw a day where they would actually be needed to be trusted enough that they could tell people to ignore the president's advice to inject themselves with bleach.

Professor Bear

Fair play to the French: Amazon tried to blackmail the French courts into overturning a ruling (which forced the corporation to ensure worker safety) by threatening to close all its French warehouses - so the courts will now fine Amazon one hundred thousand dollars for every non-essential item it delivers in France.

For some reason, I am reminded that the EU tried to make just this kind of ruling illegal through the TTIP trade document.

IndigoPrime

I'm not sure he has dementia. I don't really recognise in him what happened to my gran, although I guess it affects people very differently. What I do see is someone who has some kind of personality disorder (likely narcissism) combined with huge privilege, and with the more typical issues that come with age (poor memory) and sheer arrogance (talking bullshit, like he has all his life, but now being under scrutiny for it).

As for journalism, I'm not sure my profession (although I'm not in political news) needs damning to quite the degree it is getting right now. The blanket distrust is quite worrying, because if the journalists aren't reporting, who do you trust? The governments are suggesting them, and it's working. That recent YouGov poll on who Brits trust re C19 is terrifying. Journalism is deep into negative territory. The NHS, unsurprisingly, leads the poll at the positive end. But also in the positives: Boris Johnson. In the negatives? Kier Starmer.

Welcome to the future.