Main Menu

Wonder Woman 1984

Started by Apestrife, 09 December, 2019, 05:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

I'm guessing you guys have all seen the trailer?

CalHab

Quote from: karlos on 09 December, 2019, 08:42:57 AM
I'm guessing you guys have all seen the trailer?

Good use of Blue Monday. Made me mildly interested in the film, despite the previous one being incredibly dull. I did enjoy the weird miscasting of David Thewlis as a god of war. It was entertainingly terrible. Chris Pine, on the other hand, was as wooden as his name suggests.

Bolt-01

I'm looking forward to this so much more after seeing that trailer.

Great use of Blue Monday, would love to see them just use New Order songs for the entire soundtrack.

karlos

It's a stonking remix, isn't it?

Love the trailer.

Birds of Prey looks pretty great, too.

Rately

Looks fantastic. And Blue Monday? Superb.

Pedro Pacal as Maxwell Lord? Take my money. Fantastic actor, and a character I still have a lot of affection for, from the Giffen-De Matteis JLA run.

Bolt-01

Pascal is Max Lord? Oh, that could be interesting.

Apestrife

The 80s setting seems really interesting

https://deadline.com/2019/12/wonder-woman-1984-gal-gadot-patty-jenkins-interview-ccxp-amazon-movie-inclusion-representation-diversity-feminism-women-1202804180/

"the '80s was a time when the world was at its most extreme before we understood any cost."

Not to mention hopes of some influences from George Perez Wonder Woman book. Btw. The golden armour. That's probably from Kingdom come? Any good?

karlos

Kingdom Come is good stuff, aye.

The sequel-y thing, The Kingdom, not so much.

Rately

Quote from: karlos on 13 December, 2019, 08:55:21 AM
Kingdom Come is good stuff, aye.

The sequel-y thing, The Kingdom, not so much.

Kingdom Come is phenomenal, the art alone...

Have never read The Kingdom, unless it was the series, I vaguely remember reading, that had multiple artists, including a young Frank Quitely drawing Plastic Man?

karlos

There were a bunch of one-shots that spun out from The Kingdom - maybe Quitely worked on one of those?

The sequel is only OK, for a variety of reasons, and mostly because there was no way it was going to be as good as the first.

Rately

Quote from: karlos on 13 December, 2019, 10:35:45 AM
There were a bunch of one-shots that spun out from The Kingdom - maybe Quitely worked on one of those?

The sequel is only OK, for a variety of reasons, and mostly because there was no way it was going to be as good as the first.

I think that might be it. I literally only remember the Plastic Man issue, due to the Quitely art.

Rara Avis

Finally saw this last night, was aware it was getting massively varying views so had very little in the way of expectations.

Opening scene was incredible - maybe the highlight of the movie but the rest ...

[spoiler]Hmmm ...  Wonder Woman falls in the love with the first man she sees and when he dies she spends the next 70 years pining away for him .. not one but TWO scenes where she rescues children (yeah we get it she's one of the good guys) ... no explanation as to how Steve ended up in someone else's body ... why was Max Lord granting *every* wish and not just the ones that benefitted him ...  Barbara and Diana have ONE lunch together and are suddenly best friends ... Barbara turns into Cheetah with almost zero foreshadowing ... the Golden armour - looked very cool  but ultimately usesless as it gets trashed during the first fight ... also did you know there's nothing sadder in this world than a woman having dinner alone?[/spoiler]

Also she kills zero men in this one so some forum members may be happy to know this  :lol:

dweezil2

Quote from: Rara Avis on 16 January, 2021, 11:06:42 AM
Finally saw this last night, was aware it was getting massively varying views so had very little in the way of expectations.

Opening scene was incredible - maybe the highlight of the movie but the rest ...

[spoiler]Hmmm ...  Wonder Woman falls in the love with the first man she sees and when he dies she spends the next 70 years pining away for him .. not one but TWO scenes where she rescues children (yeah we get it she's one of the good guys) ... no explanation as to how Steve ended up in someone else's body ... why was Max Lord granting *every* wish and not just the ones that benefitted him ...  Barbara and Diana have ONE lunch together and are suddenly best friends ... Barbara turns into Cheetah with almost zero foreshadowing ... the Golden armour - looked very cool  but ultimately usesless as it gets trashed during the first fight ... also did you know there's nothing sadder in this world than a woman having dinner alone?[/spoiler]

Also she kills zero men in this one so some forum members may be happy to know this  :lol:

This was my main issue with the first film to be honest.
For a film claiming to push a positive feminist agenda and a strong female character, Diana spent an inordinate amount of time mooning over Steve, I guy she had only just met and she appeared far more reliant on his help by the climax of the film, giving the film a far more regressive message than the "girl power" one it claimed to imbue.
Arguably, the 70's, Lynda Carter starring show did more for female empowerment than this generic attempt, so much so, I'm not particularly bothered by seeing WW84.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo