Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bissler

Those do look nice!  Now I'm torn again!  Still, it's a nice problem to have!  :D

Timothy

I've just discovered Splendor (they clearly didn't bother with English localisation) and am finding it a great little game of tactics, backstabbing and frustration. It's certainly one I'd reccommend.

TordelBack

Cor, I spent a few minutes the FLGS  luxuriating in the now-extensive X-Wing range... it really is something.  That Tantive IV may just be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen: standing in front of it I found myself wondering whether I had anything else worth selling.  By far the best versions of the SW spaceships produced to date, even leaving aside the game itself - I really may have to do something about this game.

In the meantime, Zombie Dice has proved to be a sensation round our way.  Simple, quick, portable, vast potential for groaning lurching hilarity.  You haven't heard 'braaaiiiinsss...' until you've heard a 4 year-old who's just rolled 8 in a single turn...

Ancient Otter

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 June, 2014, 09:55:50 AM
Cor, I spent a few minutes the FLGS  luxuriating in the now-extensive X-Wing range... it really is something.  That Tantive IV may just be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen: standing in front of it I found myself wondering whether I had anything else worth selling.  By far the best versions of the SW spaceships produced to date, even leaving aside the game itself - I really may have to do something about this game.

In the meantime, Zombie Dice has proved to be a sensation round our way.  Simple, quick, portable, vast potential for groaning lurching hilarity.  You haven't heard 'braaaiiiinsss...' until you've heard a 4 year-old who's just rolled 8 in a single turn...

Tordelback, that is game is like crack cocaine, I should know because I am hooked! Played Zombie Dice recently as well, nice quick blast.

Ancient Otter

Had a nice run games I never played before the last few weeks: Arkham Horror, Flashpoint: Fire Rescue, Village, Bruges, Coup.

Timothy

Just discovered Coup myself. Bloody great game.

Third Estate Ned

Does Top Trumps count as a board game? I just wanted to use this thread to share these absolutely insane Horror sets. Here's a taste:

I remember having the planes, ships and aliens sets but nothing as good as these. I get the classic horror characters but who is Zoltan? Isn't he the one who granted Tom Hanks' wish in Big? I hope I never have to find out. Also, looks like the cyclops has had his only eye out with that tree. Clumsy bugger.

Here are the links I got the pictures from:

First set: http://www.pointlessmuseum.com/museum/blog/index.php/2010/07/27/horror-top-trumps-set-1/
Second set: http://www.pointlessmuseum.com/museum/blog/index.php/tag/horror-top-trumps/

Greg M.

I had both sets of these as a kid - in fact, I'm pretty sure I've still got them around somewhere. Some of the images hail from pretty arcane sources - the Madman one, for instance, is one of the afflicted villagers out of the Doomwatch movie, and I think The Thing is a bat-rat spider out of the film The Angry Red Planet.

TordelBack

My mate Jonah had those ones.  I remember playing endless rounds on a train while on a primary school trip to Ardnacrusha Hydroelectric Station.  Jonah also had a giant Eddie patch on his denim jacket so he was de facto cool for a 10 year old.

Played a terrific game of vanilla Catan in the bar at last weekend's sailing championship (one of two games running simultaneously and coincidentally!).  Badly wanted the 6 player expansion.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Greg M. on 13 August, 2014, 08:33:34 PM
I had both sets of these as a kid - in fact, I'm pretty sure I've still got them around somewhere. Some of the images hail from pretty arcane sources - the Madman one, for instance, is one of the afflicted villagers out of the Doomwatch movie, and I think The Thing is a bat-rat spider out of the film The Angry Red Planet.

I gave my brother two huge framed sets of each for his 40th. I'm nice that way.
Lock up your spoons!

Emp

Recently picked up KRAGMORTHA, a brilliantly simple but hysterical board game, following on from the card game AYE,DARKOVERLORD (and if you haven't played that, shame on you).

In KRAGMORTHA you play the part off a goblin in the servce of RIGOR MORTIS an evil wizard and try to steal books from his library. The idea is to get to his desk without encountering  RIGOR MORTIS. This is done by playing cards that move either yourself or RIGOR MORTIS. If you end up in the same space as RIGOR MORTIS  he gives you a "withering look" that results in anything from having to wear a card on your head to having your hands constantly as fists (good luck picking a card). These are all ongoing effects and failing in one earns another "withering look"...first to gain 4 penalties is out and game is scored.

zombemybabynow

Wow. Memories re top trumps horror. There were x2 different decks.
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

NapalmKev

'The Works' has the Gormenghast boardgame for £9.99.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 13 August, 2014, 08:17:48 PM
I remember having the planes, ships and aliens sets but nothing as good as these. I get the classic horror characters but who is Zoltan? Isn't he the one who granted Tom Hanks' wish in Big? I hope I never have to find out. Also, looks like the cyclops has had his only eye out with that tree. Clumsy bugger.

Most of them are redrawn versions of 'classic Horror' movie stills TV monsters and the like - Zoltan is the monster from 'Jessie James meets Frankenstein's Daughter'.  The freaky 'High Priestess of Zoltan' comes from 'Curse of the Crimson Altar'.

I always wondered where the undisputed Top Trump 'Death' card image came from, though - that thing freaked me out.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Greg M.

Found a couple of youtube clips that show you where most of the cards get their image from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJoUhj8OW2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT4QrMmRYVA

The Death card - always my favourite, and present in the second link - has a really unexpected origin. [spoiler](The clip suggests it's an alien from the Logan's Run tv series.)[/spoiler]