Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: radiator on 26 October, 2016, 05:20:06 PM
Huh. Don't Rebellion own Mongoose, or did I imagine that? Wonder who, if anyone, will get the license now?
They used to, but I believe the people who had previously run Mongoose bought the company back, or something like that.

sheridan

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 19 October, 2016, 08:46:16 PM
After a long wait, the Judge Dredd booster pack to Munchkin Apocalypse has finally arrived.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35825/judge-dredd-joins-munchkin-apocalypse

Woo!  About time, glad we finally have a date for release (though I'll only believe it when I have it in my hands).

radiator

Got to play a couple of new games last night.

King of Tokyo was great fun. Bright and colourful presentation, great theme, with mechanics tactile and simple enough that pretty much anyone can pick up the game almost instantly. Even my girlfriend loved it, and she's pretty dismissive of most games (she hated Dominion and Star Realms). I could see this one being really popular with younger relatives too.

Cash 'n Guns also went down really well. It's a simple bluffing game where you get to recreate a Mexican standoff by pointing foam guns at each other. It's gimmicky, but really solid fun - another one that pretty much anyone would enjoy. Good to have another party game to add to the rotation.

Theblazeuk

Played some Police Cops the other night whilst on a break from our D&D campaigns.

Lots of fun, dead simple, encourages lots of banging the desk and "GOD DAMMIT YOU'RE A LOOSE CANNON MCBAIN" "How can you expect me to avenge my partner's death with this pea-shootah?" etc etc with plenty of dodgy american accents, car chases, chow-yun fat acrobatics and more. You just need plenty of dice and some silliness (you could easily adapt it to other settings and themes with a little tweak I am sure). Can only imagine how good this would be in an alcohol friendly venue.

So - Free 2-page RPG that just needs you to have a piece of paper and about 8 D6 each and an interest in playing Police Squad meets Miami Vice/The A-Team/The Sweeney/CSI.  The designer is Ryan from Edinburgh and if you play it give him a shout, he enjoys hearing when people run his games :) https://twitter.com/AllThingsTruly

Satanist

The Bloodborne card game has been delayed in UK to whenever and I was planning on getting it as a Xmas pressie. Balls!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

Bought and played Machi Koro for the first time at the weekend. Good fun game which needs a bit more space and time to play than its compact box would suggest.
We never really die.

radiator

QuoteBought and played Machi Koro for the first time at the weekend. Good fun game which needs a bit more space and time to play than its compact box would suggest.

Ha, yeah. It gets pretty crazy by late in the game.

We like Machi Koro, but it never quite became one of our mainstays, I think perhaps because its a little repetitive - ie just buy all the forests and mines to win.

We tend to prefer Splendor, which is similar-ish, but feels a little more satisfying to play.

Satanist

New edition of Bloodbowl is released this Friday if anyones interested. Likely to sell out its initial run I suspect.

von Boom

Quote from: Satanist on 23 November, 2016, 02:41:29 PM
New edition of Bloodbowl is released this Friday if anyones interested. Likely to sell out its initial run I suspect.

Cursed GW! Money for the Money God!

Satanist

Quote from: von Boom on 24 November, 2016, 08:27:22 PM

Having never played it but always wanting to my eldest boy is now getting this for his Xmas  :lol:. I've also ordered Pandemic Legacy as the family game.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Satanist on 25 November, 2016, 03:43:40 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 24 November, 2016, 08:27:22 PM

Having never played it but always wanting to my eldest boy is now getting this for his Xmas  :lol:. I've also ordered Pandemic Legacy as the family game.

Me and the missus just played the second 'month' of Pandemic Legacy yesterday actually. It's great! If you haven't played Pandemic before though (we hadn't) then recommend playing a few practice games, without using the legacy rules or campaign materials, just to get the hang of it a bit. We found playing without those rules and objectives actually made for a much harder game than the first campaign mission turned out to be, but were glad that we were going in with a good sense of what we were doing!

It's really satisfying, can't wait to play some more.

Satanist

Yeah the original is a firm fave in our house so looking forward to playing Legacy at xmas and beyond.

We were at the Glasgow Boardgame Con at the weekend and got to try out a few we've fancied...

Tsuro - You lay down tiles which create a path trying not to go off the board or link to another players path, last one on the board wins. Quite a simple game but really enjoyed it so will probably pick this up at some point.

7 Wonders - Was a while to get the hang of as didn't think the rules were that clear but there was a guy on hand to teach us. Enjoyed this but think it might be a tad complex for our youngest

Also got to see Scythe which was very popular, looks super complicated but I'd love to get at some point in a few years.

Quite fancied the look of Nine Worlds as well, anyone played that?

Theblazeuk

Tsuro was one of those games that looked really really obtuse, until we actually started playing it. Only took about 30 min I think as well once we go past that "WTF is this" phase.

radiator

Anyone have any recommendations for board games for kids? I have a 4.5 year old niece to buy a Christmas present for.

I got her My First Carcassonne for her birthday earlier this year, but suspect that it'll probably be a little while before she has the attention span to really get into it.

So ideally I'm looking for something a bit lighter, perhaps more gimmicky/luck-based?

sheridan

Quote from: radiator on 03 December, 2016, 01:13:44 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for board games for kids? I have a 4.5 year old niece to buy a Christmas present for.

I got her My First Carcassonne for her birthday earlier this year, but suspect that it'll probably be a little while before she has the attention span to really get into it.

So ideally I'm looking for something a bit lighter, perhaps more gimmicky/luck-based?
Something like Dobble (entirely picture-based, matching up symbols on circular cards)?