Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills 2017

Started by Dash Decent, 23 August, 2016, 01:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Not massively excited about the strips running up to 2050, thouhg happy to see more Grey Suits and a Cornwell and Wagner Dredd is a nice prospect. BUT having Indigo Prime back is fantastic news, especially if John Smith is still on board.

TordelBack

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 10 June, 2017, 06:40:59 PM
Quote from: moly on 10 June, 2017, 09:42:00 AM
Yeah devlin Waugh is back in the Meg

But not written by John Smith?  :'(

Obviously I'll extend full benefit of the doubt to Rory, he's done some solid shorts in recent years, and I enjoyed his Larkin biocomic, but those are the biggest of shoes to fill...

Dash Decent

2017 AD
12 Jan 2017 - Cadet Anderson: Teenage Kyx
17 Jan 2017 - The Complete Scarlet Traces volume 1
07 Feb 2017 - Thrill Power Overload
09 Feb 2017 - 2000 AD's Greatest: Celebrating 40 Years of Thrill-Power!
14 Feb 2017 - Judge Dredd: Every Empire Falls
21 Feb 2017 - Judge Dredd: Mega-City Zero volume 3
01 Mar 2017 - Beyond Watchmen and Judge Dredd: The Art of John Higgins
09 Mar 2017 - Kingdom - Aux Drift
09 Mar 2017 - The Order: Die Mensch Machine
09 Mar 2017 - The Third Law (Rico Dredd: The Titan Years)
14 Mar 2017 - Predator Versus Judge Dredd Versus Aliens: Splice and Dice
06 Apr 2017 - The Last American
11 Apr 2017 - Judge Dredd: The Cape and Cowl Crimes
04 May 2017 - Summer Magic: The Complete Journal of Luke Kirby
04 May 2017 - Slaine - The Brutania Chronicles: Psychopomp
13 Jun 2017 - The Complete Skizz
15 Jun 2017 - One-Eyed Jack
15 Jun 2017 - Lawless: Welcome to Black Rock
13 Jul 2017 - Absalom: Under a False Flag
13 Jul 2017 - Anderson: The Deep End
13 Jul 2017 - The Leopard from Lime Street - Book 1 (...it should be called "Catch Me if You Can"!)
10 Aug 2017 - Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files 29 (was 06 Apr 2017)
07 Sep 2017 - Greysuit: The Monarch Dossier
12 Sep 2017 - Survival Geeks
12 Sep 2017 - Brink: Book One
15 Sep 2017 - How Comics Work by Dave Gibbons
21 Sep 2017 - Marney the Fox
19 Sep 2017 - Deviations: Beta
19 Sep 2017 - Funko Universe
?? Oct 2017 - Scarlet Traces - volume 2 (Is this Scarlet Traces: Empire of Blood?  See 2018 list.)
19 Oct 2017 - Dracula Files
16 Nov 2017 - Judge Dredd: Case Files 30  - Paperback, 16th November 2017, 304 pages
16 Nov 2017 - Misty volume 2 - Paperback, 16th November 2017, 112 pages
30 Nov 2017 - Faceache volume 1: The First Hundred Scrunges  - Hardcover,  30th November 2017, 112 pages
30 Nov 2017 - The Dark Judges: Tainted - The Fall of Deadworld
?? Dec 2017 - M.A.C.H.1 – The John Probe Mission Files

2018 AD
19 Feb 2018 - The Beatles Story - Hardcover, 19th February 2018 - Arthur Ranson
08 May 2018 - Brass Sun volume 2 - Hardcover, 8th May 2018, 160 pages
10 Jul 2018 - Scarlet Traces: Empire of Blood
04 Dec 2018 - The Complete Future Shocks - volume 1 (Surely this date is wrong?)

On the Wishlist
TBA - Nursery Crimes: The Collected Sweeny Toddler
TBA - IPC Fleetway Crossovers volume 1: Deadly Hedley of the Eastern Front
TBA - IPC Fleetway Crossovers volume 2: Bionic Gran & the 6 1/2p Buytonic Boy meet MACH 1
TBA - IPC Fleetway Crossovers volume 3: Fusspot meets Meltdown Man - Wayne & Schuster

Blurbs:
Judge Dredd: Case Files 30
"The remnants of East-Meg One want Judge Dredd to pay for destroying their city. Who better to hunt him down than Orlok the assassin – the man responsible giving the East-Meg an upper hand in capturing the Big Meg during the Apocalypse War.

Meanwhile, crime lord Nero Narcos puts his lethal plan to depose the Judges into action. Even with help from the  Brit-Cit Justice Department, Judge Anderson, DeMarco and a brand new Mark II Lawgiver, Mega-city won't be able to get out of this crisis unscathed!"

Misty vol 2
"Following up our hit first volume of the 'horror comic for girls' with another collection of two stories: The Sentinels and End of The Line.  Misty was a revolutionary concept by 2000 AD's creator Pat Mills in 1978 and left its mark on a whole generation of young women. The two identical tower blocks, known as  'The Sentinels' to the locals, stand tall over the town of Birdwood – but only one is occupied while the other remains mysteriously empty. When Jan Richards' family lose their home they decide to hide out in the abandoned block so they can stay together, only to be sent into a parallel world where the Nazis conquered Britain in 1940... In End of the Line, Ann's father was one of a group of engineers believed to have been killed whilst working on an extension to the London Underground but when she and her mother are invited to the opening of the new train tunnel, Ann discovers a mysterious time portal through which several workers are being kept as slaves by an evil Victorian called Lord Vicary."

The Beatles Story
"The original long-lost Beatles graphic novel!

This was the very first graphic novel to chart the creation, evolution and break-up of the fab four, first published in 1981. The Beatles Story is an exceptionally drawn account of the band from one of the UK's leading artists of his generation, Arthur Ranson (Batman, Judge Dredd, Button Man). Written by Angus Allan it includes fascinating insights into Paul McCartney and John Lennon's first encounter, their early gigs in Hamburg Kaiser Keller, in Hamburg, through to the recording of the legendary Abbey Road album to the band's break-up.

First published in the pages of legendary UK youth magazine Look In, this beautifully illustrated account is a treat for both the devoted Beatles admirer and new fans alike. This new edition is published in the Treasury of British Comics line, a series devoted to restoring lost comics classics."

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

Great to see that Brass Sun is continuing in reprint form, albeit in a rather more slender volume.

As for Devlin Waugh, I hope it'll be great, but to me that's one of those characters so closely aligned with its writer that it seems very odd someone else is taking it over.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 June, 2017, 02:00:11 PM
As for Devlin Waugh, I hope it'll be great, but to me that's one of those characters so closely aligned with its writer that it seems very odd someone else is taking it over.

To be honest, it doesn't really seem all that odd when you realise the last story was ten(!) years ago. Ten years...!

I would fervently hope that John's given this his blessing, but by this point I would prefer any Devlin stories to none.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Adventurer

Ten Years Ago, with a... if not a cliffhanger... a set up for a return that has never materialized. Devlin was one of those characters that got me into 2000 AD, with the DC collections, and when that story ran early on when I started reading the Meg I got really excited.

Then 10 years passed.

Its tough when a writer gets replaced (and a bit odd, when that writer is still semi-active. See: Indigo Prime). Hopefully its got Smith's blessing at least. At the very least I'm curious what the new writer's got in store for us.

It does kinda make me hope Rebellion might try bringing Luke Kirby back somehow. Maybe with Emma Beeby writing?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Adventurer on 06 July, 2017, 04:59:57 AM
Ten Years Ago, with a... if not a cliffhanger... a set up for a return that has never materialized. Devlin was one of those characters that got me into 2000 AD, with the DC collections, and when that story ran early on when I started reading the Meg I got really excited.

Then 10 years passed.

Its tough when a writer gets replaced (and a bit odd, when that writer is still semi-active. See: Indigo Prime). Hopefully its got Smith's blessing at least. At the very least I'm curious what the new writer's got in store for us.

It does kinda make me hope Rebellion might try bringing Luke Kirby back somehow. Maybe with Emma Beeby writing?

I wouldn't say no to that. Despite Luke's diminishing returns, Summer Magic was an outstanding piece of work; writer and artist working together perfectly to create a truly unique and original 2000ad story. Respect to the Tharg of the time too, for publishing something very different from the usual blend of future weapons and sci fi tough guys.

I suspect it would be difficult to disentangle it from the Harry Potter phenomenon if it were to come out now.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Adventurer

But it's so 'not Harry Potter', with its strict rules and headmasters. It's almost the anti-Potter, being all hedgemagic and shamanistic.

I think I'm just annoyed that it was building up to some big... thing... with Kim it never got to. Like we never got to the 'Empire Strikes Back' moment when everything goes wrong and the training wheels come off.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Richard

I take your point about it not really being like Harry Potter. But it's still superficially close enough to Harry Potter that a new story would never be able to shake off the comparison. Just as they could never make a film out if Firekind because everyone would say it was an Avatar rip-off, even though that wouldn't be true.

Woolly

Quote from: Richard on 06 July, 2017, 05:30:46 PM
I take your point about it not really being like Harry Potter. But it's still superficially close enough to Harry Potter that a new story would never be able to shake off the comparison.

Fully agree, but also think thats a good marketing reason for Luke Kirby to return.
If Tharg could get all the Potter fans reading the prog... that could make for some interesting sales figures!

Smith

Hope reminded me that we need Carver Hale back.But no chance of that,is there?

Woolly

Quote from: Smith on 06 July, 2017, 05:58:54 PM
Hope reminded me that we need Carver Hale back.But no chance of that,is there?

Ooh, yes please. Always found it a bit weird that Carver never returned.

Smith

I always assumed Mike Carey lost interest.

Richard

I assumed Carver died of AIDS "off screen."

Colin YNWA

Never quite got the idea that Journal of Luke Kirby had diminishing returns issues. I mean sure the first one was just sublime and note really topped BUT I'm pretty sure last time I read that last one with the Devil and Steve Parkhouse and what not I really enjoyed it. I felt it was alway at least good, at times, including the last story, very good. Its just that first story is so good folks lose perspective?