Main Menu

'2046', a film by Wong Kar Wai

Started by House of Usher, 25 August, 2005, 06:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

2046 was reviewed in The Megazine recently, and a friend of mine lent me the DVD to watch. Blimey, it was an effort! I had a look at what the reviewers on IMDB had to say about it. These are my thoughts:

I like Wong Kar Wai's films generally, but I found 2046 very disappointing. It took me more than a week to see the whole film because I kept falling asleep trying to watch it. It is quite a beautiful film, but it doesn't make any conventional kind of sense as a narrative. Instead, it conveys a mood, one that lasts for its entire length. Stylistically, this is fine, and I never tired of hearing the inn keeper's daughter practicing her acceptance of her Japanese lover's proposal; but too much else in the film suffered from constant re-playing with substitutions of characters and time frames.

It has a very beautiful music score, and the cityscapes in the futuristic segments are spectacular and ethereal; but the production-side problems are all too visible in a film that shows itself to the world as a re-shoot of a sci-fi film abandoned before its completion.
STRIKE !!!

Tweak72

ah that?s a shame as its was on my 'to see' film list but if it is leaning more to the looks cool but makes no sense scale of things ill give it a miss
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Tordelbach

First heard the '2046' soundtrack playing over breakfast in a caf in the town of Hora on Amorgos, squinting into a brilliant morning at windmills on the rocky horizon.  Incongruous Christmas songs aside, it's now inextricably linked in my head with whitewash, the taste of bougatsi and the thrill of an underpowered moped with a busted headlight. Reviews aside, I have got to see the movie...