Main Menu

The Fleetway Files.

Started by maryanddavid, 15 May, 2018, 09:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

okay, here's the review.

I wanted to put a link to where it can be bought but the Hibernia page doesn't have it listed at all.

If you let me have a working link I will add it.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-fleetway-files.html
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bolt-01

It 'was' on Comicsy- but I've just been to get the link and its gone-- so I assume this is no longer available in print?

maryanddavid

Yup, print sold out, I should have some more copies available next week.
Digital copies are available.
For £10 you get 250+ pages of interviews and articles plus rarely seen artwork all in PDF Format.
To get the pack just send £10 by Paypal to doomlord@eircom.net Please mark all payments 'PDF' and include your email address and I will reply with the links to the PDF.
If its just 'The Fleetway Files' that's required, same instructions, but payment it £5.
Great review, delighted you liked it!

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 29 May, 2018, 04:56:03 PM
okay, here's the review.

I wanted to put a link to where it can be bought but the Hibernia page doesn't have it listed at all.

If you let me have a working link I will add it.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-fleetway-files.html

Glad you enjoyed it! My comp copies arrived this morning - thanks, David! - and I'm really happy with how it's turned out. There's always a bit of trepidation waiting to see what the print copies look like (I live in Scotland, while David and the printers are in Ireland, so I work "blind" to an extent) and whether I've made any mistakes during pre-print.

There is one cock-up that will annoy me for ages, but it's unlikely to ever be noticed by anyone but me (somewhere in the book I've used a font one point larger than I should for a single caption - prize if you can spot it ;) ) and the rest of the book is exactly as I'd hoped it would look in print.

Very happy with the look of it, which I hope complements the wealth of material David has written and pulled together, and happy to see it selling so well and being enjoyed.

On to the next one now!

Colin YNWA

Well its taken me a while but finally finished this the other day - its been my bus read for the last few weeks, a postion greatly reduced in quantity over the last few years as I travel a lot less and listen to more podcasts.

Still its such a solid engaging read that it would have taken me a while to get through in any circumstance - such wonderful value for money. Its funny around the same time I got this I got Comics Scene 1, which at 48 pages cost less but offers significently less bang for your book. The latters scattergun approach, throwing you from theme to theme in short article to short article - and some poor decisions it has a feature on the various artists of Dan Dare with barely any visuals! Mark it as far inferior to this beast. I know it is a different beast but the comparison held up in my eyes.

The Fleetways Files only lacks a solid introduction giving you a grounding in the history, rather throwing you straight into the good stuff. Minor complaint to say the least cos the good stuff is so good and there's so much of it.

Wonderful read and an amazing elevation of the already fantastic Hibernia brand.

Thanks David (and co.)

maryanddavid

Thanks Colin, any particular highlights?

Colin YNWA

Easy Ian Kennedy picture cards...

...well or the Wildcat stuff...

...okay okay maybe the David Hunt...

...there's a LOT to choose from.

Dandontdare

For me it was the wonderful recap of the humour comics - I didn't read many of the action/adventure titles as a kid, but this piece brought back many fond memories of the "funnies"

maryanddavid

It was a bit of a thrill talking to Bob Paynter Dan, so glad you liked the 'funnies' piece. My earlies comic recollection is of Cor!! and Shiver and Shake annuals, I've always had a soft spot for them , and some of the seriously off the wall stuff contained in them!