Main Menu

Games of the 80s

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 22 December, 2018, 04:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Thorin sits down and starts singing about gold.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 December, 2018, 07:33:54 PM
Thorin sits down and starts singing about gold.

With one well-placed blow he cleaves your skull.  You are dead.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 December, 2018, 11:08:25 PMthe original Lemmings. (was that on Spectrum, or I am I misremebering my earliest PC games?)
Amiga first, and then ported to pretty much everything else in existence at the time.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 December, 2018, 06:48:54 PMThink The Hobbit may have been one of the first games I played on the Spectrum.  Great fun; a very condensed version of the book (out Bag End door and you're straight to the parched desert).
Also, an entertaining between-moves AI that meant all the other actors interacted and sometimes killed each other, making your quest literally impossible to complete.

HdE

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 December, 2018, 11:28:33 AM
HdE: check out Oquonie if you can. If you're a fan of old-school isometric games, You may well get a kick out of it.

Cheers for that!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

GrudgeJohnDeed

Wow M.I.K, that stuff is so impressive. I'd say if you ever need a pixel artist we should collab but I think you've got it covered!

Oh and Merry Xmas, just got back from the pub!!

M.I.K.

Seasonal salutations to you an' all.

Incidentally, this is the new Black Mirror thing coming to Netflix...

Bandersnatch

I don't remember seeing any of that on the documentary about Imagine Software.

M.I.K.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 27 December, 2018, 06:02:02 PM
Bandersnatch

Flippin' heck. This warrant's a double post.

Not only is the author of the book in that episode portrayed by none other than Jeff Minter, but they've created a website for the episode's fictional games company from which you can download a real spectrum game to play in an emulator.

Click here to download NOHZDYVE.

JayzusB.Christ

Jeff fecking Minter! There's a blast from the past.  The closest we had to a celebrity programmer.

Incidentally the only other Spectrum programmer whose name I knew was Don Priestley, who brought a unique style to Trapdoor, Popeye and Benny Hill.  He ended up moving, for some reason, to my small midlands Irish town and doing archery with my brother.  My dad got to know him quite well, not really realising he'd been a hero of ours a few years previously.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Blimey. Back in the early days of Retro Gamer, Don Priestley was someone I tried quite hard (and totally failed) to get in touch with, for interviews. Trap Door was a particularly eye-popping game, with its massive characters. He must be close to 80 now, assuming he's still around. Looking at the ongoing spreadsheet of doom, it looks like no-one from Retro Gamer ever got to speak to him, sadly.

As for Minter, he's still writing games. He did a bunch of stuff on iOS before deciding that platform was awful for games creators like him, and is now doing VR takes on his old games, remakes of Tempest, and, amusingly, a new shooter called Polybius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VXsAiNdelk

JayzusB.Christ

Aw crap, that's a shame you didn't track down Don Priestley.  I'd probably be able to find him with a bit of digging.

Trap Door was amazing.  I remember growing eyeballs from seeds, dropping them in a huge vat, and coaxing a giant jumping monster to hop up and down in the vat so that eyeball juice came out the tap and into a bottle. Madness