Main Menu

ANT WARS collection

Started by Bad City Blue, 17 January, 2018, 01:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Dandontdare

Harsh!  I enjoyed Ant Wars when I was 12, and although I haven't reread this collection, I thought the Spacespinner2000 guys did a very good analysis of it in those early episodes.

Tjm86

Harsh, yes.  Accurate though.  It's one of those tooth strips from the early days that merits the floppy treatment rather than the full blown GN treatment.  Like you, I enjoyed it when I first read it as a sprog and have fond memories.  On prog slogs though it is one that hasn't aged brilliantly.

Colin YNWA

I've said it before and I'll say it again (no doubt) but I don't know why Ant Wars has the bad rep it does. I really enjoy it. Yes its hockum, yes its not aged that well but by George its a fantastic entertaining and surprisingly* grim story about GIANT CHUFFIN' ANTS snapping endless folks in two with their mandibles of death. The art most of the time is fantastic too. What's not to love.

I know its not a commonly held view but I really do think it's my favourite Gerry Finley Day story as its B-Movie stylings really suit his B-Movie style - big on ideas clumsy with execution.

*Well actually not that surprising when you consider early 2000ad

M.I.K.

Idiotic, pulpy, trashy, over-the top, old-fashioned B-movie nonsense.

I first read it when it was reprinted in Eagle in 1986 and found it to be precisely my cup of tea for that very reason.

See also Terror of The Cats from Scream! and Disaster 1990!, (which I hadn't actually read 'til it got reprinted in a Megazine floppy a few years ago, so it's not just the nostalgia talking).

JayzusB.Christ

Has the reprint got the Azpiri nipple tassles then?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bad City Blue

Tassles are present and correct  :-[
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 January, 2018, 08:51:26 PM
I know its not a commonly held view but I really do think it's my favourite Gerry Finley Day story as its B-Movie stylings really suit his B-Movie style - big on ideas clumsy with execution.

I think you are right....it's not a commonly held view  :lol:

For me, as far as GFD is concerned you can't beat The VCs.

sheridan

Quote from: M.I.K. on 18 January, 2018, 03:19:55 AM
Idiotic, pulpy, trashy, over-the top, old-fashioned B-movie nonsense.

I first read it when it was reprinted in Eagle in 1986 and found it to be precisely my cup of tea for that very reason.

See also Terror of The Cats from Scream! and Disaster 1990!, (which I hadn't actually read 'til it got reprinted in a Megazine floppy a few years ago, so it's not just the nostalgia talking).

I love all of the series mentioned here :-)