Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Latest episode "Chaos" of Southland on More4  :o

(Must be only one watch it)

Tiplodocus

Aronofsky's NOAH.

More like Aronofsky's SHITE.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Frank

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 April, 2014, 12:29:13 AM
Aronofsky's NOAH. More like Aronofsky's SHITE

At least it would float. I was talking to someone who'd seen it yesterday, who she said the Neverending Story rock giants stretched her credulity. The 500 year old Noah who chats to The Almighty and builds a boat large enough to accommodate every animal on Earth, she was fine with.

Keef Monkey

The Raid 2 - More of a slow burn than the first film, and I have one friend who didn't like it as he felt there was too much plot getting in the way of the tight action focus that made the first film great.

I disagree though, the action in the first half is definitely more sporadic than I expected but it's all massively stylish and with the set-pieces being more elaborate and varied some downtime is important to set the context and give them weight. Plus, there's a tipping point where it puts its foot down and never looks back, with the last chunk being probably the most intense final act to an action movie I've seen. Really wasn't confident they could outdo the action in the first film but man, some of this shit is just insane.

Evans is easily the best action director out there at the moment (how the hell he pulled off some of the car stuff in this is a mystery) and watching his films really gives me the same thrill and exhilaration that watching John Woo movies gave me as a youngster.

So aye, totally loved it. It loses some of the simplicity of the first film and some won't like that (I'll admit to finding it maybe 20mins longer than it really needs to be), and being less short and snappy means it might not be the great impulsive rewatcher the first one was, but I do think it's a better film in almost every way, and like the first one I'm immediately desperate to see it again. Fantastic.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Pacific Rim, finally. It was great.

Also, the first 20 minutes of Thor 2. It wasn't that great.
Lock up your spoons!

JOE SOAP

Snowpiercer: heroic effort at a solid piece of Sci-Fi mixing hair-brained Randian idealist industrialism and end of the world Neo-Marxist capitalism. Falls down a bit in its latter-half due to some unfortunate stylings pulled straight from Matrix: Reloaded, and the ever present feeling that it needs a longer running time to better explore characters from both within and without the many other compartments of what seems to be a vaster choo-choo than the Revolutionaries from economy class had the required tickets to slow down and enjoy, or in other words, I want a mini-series.

Still, the train and it's perpetual journey encircling the globe each year is such a brilliantly simple metaphor of humanity's precarious self-destructive survival as a consequence of obsession with technology, order and vanity that it remains very compelling, always pushing its story onward ... it's a closed track, and the only [spoiler]solution to this hermetically-sealed society's cycle of diminishing returns is to break the circle[/spoiler].

I really want to read the comic now so that's a triumph in itself.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 14 April, 2014, 03:40:21 AM
Snowpiercer: heroic effort at a solid piece of Sci-Fi mixing hair-brained Randian idealist industrialism and end of the world Neo-Marxist capitalism ... the train and it's perpetual journey encircling the globe each year is such a brilliantly simple metaphor of humanity's precarious self-destructive survival as a consequence of obsession with technology, order and vanity

That's some recommendation. Gave this a miss at the pictures, but I'll add it to my watchlist.

Goaty

Frankenstein's Army
I notice it on Netflix USA last night, and thoughts that sounds so silly, one of Asylum or Uwe Boll's films(I hate them) so just for a laugh I give it a try for few mins.

The film on a group of Russian soldiers out on a search-and-rescue mission in Germany during World War II. They stumble upon a desolate factory, go inside to investigate, and discover the Nazis' sickest plan:

But I got hooking into the film! And finish watch it last night, and it was so awesome film! Very insane! And very cult film. I gotta to say the acting is bit silly, but the monsters is great! And what a production! Will kept eye on the director for more films from him!

With monsters[spoiler] it feelings like playing Bioshock, see Big Daddies. [/spoiler]

Moggot Lover

Finally got round to watching The Amazing Spiderman. Really enjoyable film. It was a lot better than I thought it would be.
Looking forward now to the new one coming out this month. 
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

Link Prime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 14 April, 2014, 03:40:21 AM
Snowpiercer

Not previously on my radar Joe, like the sound of it. Cheers.

Keef Monkey

The Expendables 2. Probably doesn't help that I'm watching it a couple of days after having my socks rocked off by The Raid 2, but god it just feels so hilariously inept. The word that kept coming to mind was amateur, it's a real clunky mess. We did get a few good laughs out of it, and I think a couple of those might even have been intentional. Ropey.

I, Cosh

An Aussie mate's proselytising finally wore me down to the point where I watched repossession comedy The Castle. I guess it's the kind of thing you might find yourself smiling in recognition at if you came from the sort of place it was filmed or recognised the type of characters it was gently ribbing. I'm not and I don't so it was no Restless Natives and, beyond one or two mildly amusing lines, it was a perplexingly dull experience.

I've only fairly recently discovered the Australian usage of the word "wog" and I still find it faintly shocking to hear it in anything made after 1980.
We never really die.

GrinningChimera

Far Out Man

Starring Tommy Chong.

Watched this on you tube. It wasn't terrible but I really have no reason to recommend it. If you are looking for a fun stoner comedy there is just so much better stuff to choose from. Like Cheech And Chongs Nice Dreams. Tommy Chong is still a funny guy solo but nowhere even close to what he is when paired up with Cheech.

Tiplodocus

THE LUNCH BOX
An Indian romantic drama (with a fair share of laughs) based on what happens when Mumbai's dabbawallahs make a rare mistake and deliver a lunch box to the wrong person.

It's delight throughout with perfectly judged performances from the three leads and manages to be fantastically sweet but never sickly. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Radbacker

Cloud Atlas, what an achievement, absolutely spectacular piece of writing and directing.  never read the book but really had a profound effect on me (it helps that I've recently fallen in love and found the one finally, I know sickening isn't it, marrying end of the month).  Romantic, moving and spectacular, the whole thing really comes together in the last half hour it's a shame it didn't do too well but I must say I think this is going to be one of my favourite movies ever.

CU Radbacker