Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Showdown in Little Tokyo. Oh Grud this film is awful. It's almost bad enough to be good, but not quite.

SmallBlueThing

Star Trek Into Darkness

Really enjoyed this- and probably the best Trek film since Wrath of Khan, ironically. A real sense of scale and of the Trek universe expanding, incredible visuals, and a likeable cast who almost completely step out from under the shadows of the originals. Only two things let it down- the blatantly telegraphed solution to "dead Kirk" and Chris Pine's girly-sounding recitation of "Space... The Final Frontier" towards the end. Other than that, loved it unreservedly.

Hatchet 3

Having very good feelings towards the first two in the series, I was hoping for a bit more from this- the "final" installment. Somehow the gore seemed toned down, and if you remove that from a Hatchet movie, there's not a lot left except horror-celebrity actors doing their thing. Here, along with Kane Hodder (numerous F13 movies) as Victor Crowley and Danielle Harris (Halloween 4, Halloween remake and sequel) as the main protagonist, we have Zach Galligan (Gremlins) as the police chief and Caroline Williams (Stretch, from Texas Chainsaw 2) as the investigative reporter ex-wife. Nice to see them again, but it didn't save the movie.

Monty Python's Meaning Of Life

Don't think I've seen this in twenty years- if not longer. The songs are still great, but the rest of it didn't even raise a smile, I'm afraid.

SBT

Professor Bear

Quote from: von Boom on 07 April, 2014, 04:40:17 PM
Showdown in Little Tokyo. Oh Grud this film is awful. It's almost bad enough to be good, but not quite.

We are very different people, as if not for that superfluous and vile sexual assault scene I would consider SHowdown In little Tokyo a western chop-socky classic.  It's brilliant no-budget film-making and if you can truly sit there as Dolph Lundgren's character escapes Yakuza ninjas by picking up a car and throwing it at them and not enjoy it, you are dead inside.  It's a big, stupid cartoon action movie like they just don't make anymore.

Frank

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 April, 2014, 10:22:29 AM
Odd Thomas ... wondering if there were legal reasons Elvis isn't involved at all

The King's cameos in True Romance and Preacher were framed in particularly liminal and obscure ways, so I assume the Presley estate is pretty strict about unauthorised representations of characters purporting to be Elvis himself, rather than tribute acts who only copy his likeness. Not sure whether Priscilla ran the rule over the ambiguous Bubba Ho Tep or not.

Dunk!

Caught The Divide on Film 4 over the weekend - awful post-apocalyptic nihilist crap, a painful watch.

And Snowpiercer which I though was excellent and a nice bit of weird Sci-fi. Didn't recognise the lead man until the lights came on later in - beard and dirt and all that.
"Trust we"

Moggot Lover

The Lego movie, took my son yesterday to watch this at the local cinema, it was his first film he has watched at the cinema. Very funny film, and my son enjoy it as well.
Lots of references to other films which being an old git, I recognised most of them   :P
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

Hawkmumbler

The Blood Stained Shadow: Bido's second of his poorly documented giallo. Very greasy, very grimy and surprisingly remorseless. The kill's are suitably grizzly if not over shocking, an atmosphere of desolation hangs about the film which is primarily set in a parish, and Venetian scenery is never a bad thing. Must check out his even trashier venture, Watch Me When I Kill next.

mogzilla

finally getting round to zombie flesh eaters got as far as the reporter sneaking on the boat...
elsewhere ghost macroth recoomends outpost so i'll be tracking that down as well!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

TordelBack

By recent cash-strapped tradition, the missus and I give each other birthday presents that the kids will primarily enjoy (it actually works really well): this year I was pleased to receive the Frozen DVD, which has been the subject of relentless pestering for over three months now. As this thread will testify I really enjoyed this in the cinema, but I was fairly sure a lot of that was to do with the hypnotically beautiful and sumptuously detailed costume and architectural designs spread across the big screen, the equal of anything I've ever seen committed to film.  Turns out the songs, which I was lukewarm about before, have grown on me, and there were loads of little gags and details that I'd missed, and I enjoyed it just as much on our wee telly.  Truly a modern masterpiece of animation, and Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel are marvels.

Goaty

The Last Days on Mars
As it will be out at Cinemas in UK, but it is now in Netflix USA, which I watch last night.

I thought it was not bad but interesting. Very 2000AD Future Shock vib there. 3 of 5 for it.

mogzilla

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 April, 2014, 09:37:47 AM
By recent cash-strapped tradition, the missus and I give each other birthday presents that the kids will primarily enjoy (it actually works really well): this year I was pleased to receive the Frozen DVD, which has been the subject of relentless pestering for over three months now. As this thread will testify I really enjoyed this in the cinema, but I was fairly sure a lot of that was to do with the hypnotically beautiful and sumptuously detailed costume and architectural designs spread across the big screen, the equal of anything I've ever seen committed to film.  Turns out the songs, which I was lukewarm about before, have grown on me, and there were loads of little gags and details that I'd missed, and I enjoyed it just as much on our wee telly.  Truly a modern masterpiece of animation, and Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel are marvels.

we wasn't taken with frozen at all, even mini mogs said there was too much singing. olaf was cool though.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

TordelBack

Quote from: mogzilla on 10 April, 2014, 10:14:53 AM
we wasn't taken with frozen at all, even mini mogs said there was too much singing. olaf was cool though.

Funnily enough I think the singing really lifts it - instead of being a cartoon with musical numbers that slow things down, this really is a musical, in the sense that the songs advance the plot and define many of the characters.  A single number, 'Do You Want to Build a Snowman' pretty much delivers the entire backstory and the relationship of our heroines. 

It does feel a little odd to be quite so excited by a Disney princess movie, but I think that since I've spent so much time at home with my wee daughter over the past few years, I've become very sensitive to and critical of the torrent of utter shite that is pitched at her: accomplished things like Brave, and Tangled and Frozen, that tell good stories with complex active heroines and solid aesthetics, have become quite important to me.  The tidal wave of vacuous pink that surrounds us is held back for a while.

Hawkmumbler

Recrewt

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 10 April, 2014, 12:45:48 PM
Frozen was shit man!

"Mark Kermode breaks into a cold sweat as he thinks of the next generation of film critics ready to take his crown.  Younger, more intelligent and with sharper wit.  How can he compete?"
;)

Colin YNWA

I've never seen it BUT since my daughter keeps singing a half remembered version of a song from it (something to do with letting the north and or cold (depending on the day) wind blow and not letting something or other bother/worry you anyway) I hate it without every having seen a frame of it...

... now then were's The Cosh to quite rightly put me in my place?