Main Menu

New Poll: Harry Kipling or Lobster Random - which one do you want to see more of?

Started by 2000AD Online, 20 August, 2007, 01:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Those are old quotes, Spurrier.  Give us new ones.  When are Lobster Random and Bec & Kawl coming back?

Robin Low

I'd have a hard time choosing between Lobster and Kipling. Neither of them are masterpieces, but both are suprisingly good fun. I like it that both are true to 2000AD in that at the heart of both series is a weird and interesting character.

Spurrier's a difficult writer to make decisions about. His style of writing is frequently annoying and tedious (to me), but his ability to produce product with potential (fully realised or not) is staggering - it's hard to think of any writer other than Pat Mills in the early days of 2000AD who is coming up with so many ideas for series. If he could start relying more on punchy dialogue instread of text boxes to tell his stories I'd be a lot happier.

He's got the ideas, he's got the drive to knuckle down and write, and he can tell a story in a comic strip format. I just think he needs to slow down a little and think about what he's writing and the way he's writing it.

Regards

Robin

Floyd-the-k

a nice passage. So it's pretty much like Jabish said.

Satanist

What if the person who hates the writers script regardless is female? Are they still wankers? Or are they obnoxious filddlers, pokers, kit-kat shufflers etc?

Its so hard to know the correct phrase now the world is so PC.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tiplodocus

The Lobster for me.

I can see all the hard work that goes into Kipling but it just doesn't tickle my giblets.

I'd even go so far as to say that, even though he may not have intended to, when Si refers to people who "hate YOUR work no matter what" he's making a statement for ALL writers not just himself.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

Satanist - I understand wanker to be an asexual noun.

It's only when you get into the more colourful metaphors that gender rears it's ugly head (so to speak).  

For example, one would expect that only males would spank the monkey, choke the chicken, buff the banana, hold the sausage hostage, jack the beanstalk, round up the tadpoles, slap-box the one-eyed champ, apply the hand brake, attack the one-eyed purple-headed warrior, choke Kojak, squeeze the cream from the flesh Twinkie, bash the bishop, stroke the salami, shake hands with the milkman, answer the bone-a-phone, play with Pam and her five sisters or have a quick fifty off the wrist.

On the other hand, female protagonists might have a night in with the girls, polish the peanut, dial the rotary phone, feed the bearded clam, have a date with slick mittens, learn to play the clitar, squeeze the peach, trawl the bermuda triangle, tiptoe through the two-lips, part the red sea, go pearl fishing, grope the grotto, hitchhike to heaven, toss the pink salad, partake in gusset typing, soak the whisker biscuit or hee-haw with wrinkled mee-maw.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trout

Can I still be an obnoxious wanker if I don't hate Si Spurrier's work? ;-)

I'm not voting, because I want both stories back.

That said, I'm the lone voice in the wilderness who can't really get into the Simping Detective...

- Trout

TordelBack

Surely Spurrier is just saying what we all think: "You don't like my work, huh?  None of it?  Well fuck you, you oboxious wanker!".  Seems reasonable to me.

Hey, whatever happened to that shiny new CoC we have around here?  

jabish

Sorry guys, I really didn't mean for this to turn into anything. I kind of meant what I said in the first post with a sarcastic wink that didn't make the post. When I talked about expressing opinion i did mean everyone. That said the passage quoted above did jar when I read it in TPO. I guess I didn't expect the writer to say something like that.

Ah well we all have our opinions, and this was in no way meant to be an attack. I like a lot of Si Spurrier's stuff, and I think Robin low hit part of the nail on the head. Moreover I'm deeply impressed to see someone work hard and go from winning a pitch contest at a small convention to produce a large body of work and land a mini series at the worlds biggest publishers. Nice one.

As an actor I hate reading reviews so if I was a comic writer i'd never read message boards.

Can't be good for the brain.

Best of luck.

nofuture

Yo Si'

Love your work - I'm still a wanker though

Richard

What's wrong with wanking anyway? It's brilliant.

Darren Stephens

I chose neither. I cant think of anything I like about these two strips. Does this make me the biggest wanker on the board? So be it! :-D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

I, Cosh

play the clitar

At last a fourth instrument to go alongside the Hairy Banjo, the Pink Oboe and the Skin Flute.

Cheers Funt.
We never really die.

Ignatzmonster

Can't get enough of either. Lobster Random is the crazier of the two so I put it ahead by a nose.