Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Before 301 drops just wanted to say that brought a manly tear to my eye! 

Theres no piece of media I look forward to more than a new SS2000.

SpaceSpinner2000

I'll be announcing it on the feed, but we'll be going every other week for the forseeable future. Next up is:

BM1 47: Megazine Vol 2, Issues 67-69 (nice)
BM1 48: Judge Dredd Yearbook 1995
SS2k 301: 2000AD Progs 916-919
SS2K 302: Winter Special '94
SS2k 303: Spinnies 94
BM1 49: Meggies 94

Then we cross the border to 1995! I hear there's a movie coming out!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 07 February, 2024, 07:57:57 AMI'll be announcing it on the feed, but we'll be going every other week for the forseeable future. Next up is:

BM1 47: Megazine Vol 2, Issues 67-69 (nice)
BM1 48: Judge Dredd Yearbook 1995
SS2k 301: 2000AD Progs 916-919
SS2K 302: Winter Special '94
SS2k 303: Spinnies 94
BM1 49: Meggies 94

Then we cross the border to 1995! I hear there's a movie coming out!

Did you ever cover Hardware?  Unofficial adaptation of Shok! but forced to credit Steve MadManus and Kevin O'Neill on video release so technically the first adaptation of a 2000AD IP.

Eamonn Clarke

Did you ever cover Hardware?  Unofficial adaptation of Shok! but forced to credit Steve MadManus and Kevin O'Neill on video release so technically the first adaptation of a 2000AD IP.
[/quote]

Sort of:  ;)
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2023/11/242-hardware-and-valley-of-gwangi.html

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 07 February, 2024, 09:36:27 AMDid you ever cover Hardware?  Unofficial adaptation of Shok! but forced to credit Steve MadManus and Kevin O'Neill on video release so technically the first adaptation of a 2000AD IP.

Sort of:  ;)
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2023/11/242-hardware-and-valley-of-gwangi.html
[/quote]

Oh, I have actually listened to that episode - coincidentally just a month or so after watching Gwangi for the first time this century!

The Monarch

so the new episode of big meg 1 appeared in my feed but it err semms to be missing a link to the actual episode

SpaceSpinner2000

OH JEEZ! It should be there now!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

I've not listened to it yet, but it's downloaded to my spotify app (may listen on the way home tonight, or the way in tomorrow morning).

JayzusB.Christ

Listened to it yesterday- loads of nostalgic fun as always.  It wasn't a bad era for the Megazine at all - I think I preferred Dave Stone's Brit Cit Judgement Day to the Garth's-eye view.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry, I posted before I was finished.  I liked that Armitage story but it wasn't really an Armitage story as I saw it - Armitage for me was more about detective work over a pie and a pint,  and being an island of old-fashioned curmudgeonliness in a sea of high-tech sleaze and mad-looking juve gangs. 

That particular story was all monsters, shooting and ripped muscles (how the hell does an elderly desk copper get pecs like Schwarzenegger's?).  My teenage self did appreciate Charles Gillespie's naked Lisa though,  even if she looked exactly like every other woman in the story.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Doomlord66

So I've just been listening to your podcast ep 275 on progs 836 - 839 and hearing you guys talk about Firekind and how much you both liked it. Now I've had the 2000ad Ultimate collection of Firekind for quite a while now and I've always been passing it over as i don't really remember it and so I didn't think it would be worth reading but after hearing you guys rave about it, it's going next on my list

JayzusB.Christ

Firekind was brilliant- it's a huge part of what kept me reading through Tharg's difficult years. I find it hard to imagine that Avatar isn't at least a bit of a rip-off of Firekind, but I'd still take Firekind every time.

Do yourself a favour and read it.

Le Fink

Firekind definitely a highlight for me when I was reading the prog. I used to copy out those dragon designs that Paul Marshall drew. One of his first stories for Tharg? Lots of detailed, intricate line work. His style has changed a bit since then, understandably, as it must have taken him ages to do what he did on Firekind. I recently picked up the Hachette volume and it didn't resonate with me as much on a re-read. It's quite slow going, with lots of textual description, which I have less patience with nowadays. Might read better in instalments. Still looks amazing though.