Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Yeah, there's some amazingly good art on show in here (and I don't mean mine).  It's a real treat to see people share their collections and enthusiasm for the art.  I know the vast majority of 2000AD art will never see the light of day, so I'd like to thank everyone who's posted stuff in here - great stuff.

Oh, and I have one more piece on the way...  :-[  Not really planned, but something I pondered a couple of years back resurfaced and it proved to be a hard one to turn down when the offer came.  Will hopefully have it in a week or so, anyway.

Spikes

Quote from: ming on 12 May, 2012, 12:42:31 PM
Oh, and I have one more piece on the way... 

Oh its an addiction alright,  ;)
Any clues?

ming

Quote from: Judge Jack on 12 May, 2012, 01:00:37 PM

Well as I say, it was something that I nearly picked up before, so it's not like I fell off the wagon or anything.  I'm in denial, aren't I?  :lol:

As for clues...

Fairly recent (will be the most 'modern' bit of art I have apart from the recent McCarthy Dredd stuff): 2003
Not by an artist I have anything by.
Features just one character, and it's a minor classic, to me at least.
Closest thing I'll come to a Bolland piece, maybe.
'Smile'

Probably enough to give the game away; I can post a pic at some point anyway.

Spikes

Quote from: ming on 12 May, 2012, 01:35:55 PM
it's not like I fell off the wagon or anything.  I'm in denial, aren't I?  :lol:

No, not at all  ;)

Mmmm,  all very mysterious. Cant think what it might be off hand - ill have to ponder at bit more. Though its always nice to see more 2000ad art going to people on here.
For me, should hopefully have another Dredd page coming next month - and double fingers crossed a nice Concrete piece, that i missed out on the first time round. But that one is far from definite.

ming

Another clue then (or a dead giveaway)...

A cover, but not 2000AD, and not a regular one.

More Dredd, Iain?  McMahon? 

Fatboydale

Martin Emond Dredd / Predator cover !!!!

ming

Is that a guess Dale?  If so, keep guessing.... ;)

A recap, plus more clues:
+ Fairly recent (will be the most 'modern' bit of art I have apart from the recent McCarthy Dredd stuff): 2003
+ Not by an artist I have anything by.
+ Features just one character, and it's a minor classic, to me at least.
+ Closest thing I'll come to a Bolland piece, maybe.
+ 'Smile'
+ A cover, but not 2000AD, and not a regular one.

+ A variant cover... (Not sure how many of those there have been, and I don't even have a copy of the published version.)
+ Popped up on Pete's blog not long ago.
+ Seeing it might ring a bell if you're familiar with the works of Alan Moore.

Is that enough to go on?

:)

Greg M.

Yeah, I reckon I've figured it out. Does it involve a certain not-strictly-alive person with a camera? If so... nice one!

Spikes

Me too. The smile bit, and the Bolland reference, made me think of that cover - if of course weve guessed correctly. When you mentioned variant cover, i did for a brief brief second think it might be the Prog 1771 Tharg by McMahon -  :o, if you coulda pulled that one off!

As for mine, well hopefully it wont involve a lot of monkeying about to get it,  ;)

ming

Heh, glad I provided some decent clues, anyway.  I love Frazer's take on Judge Death; second only to Bolland for me.  In fact, I'd maybe even go so far as to say his is the more terrifying rendition of all in many respects.  After becoming something of a parody of himself through overuse, I'm really happy to have nailed down a piece that presents Death in all his dark, twisted glory...

Monkey Business is one of my favourite McMahon Dredd stories, Iain (mainly due to the line of work I'm in)... Have seen a few pages kicking about but never jumped, for some reason.  Anyway, looking forward to hearing, and seeing, more.

Spikes

Oh very nice - just grabbed the My name is Death trade off the shelf to flick through. Lovely art by Frazer Irving. Still a very unsettling story in places. The cover is from JD Megazine 211b, according to the gallery at the back.

Quote from: ming on 12 May, 2012, 06:37:29 PM
Monkey Business is one of my favourite McMahon Dredd stories, Iain (mainly due to the line of work I'm in)...

Oh.... line of work? Your not in some secret laboratory isolating a evolutionary reversing enzyme, are you? And if so, does it smell of Spaghetti sauce, ;)

ming

Quote from: Judge Jack on 12 May, 2012, 06:59:29 PMOh.... line of work? Your not in some secret laboratory isolating a evolutionary reversing enzyme, are you? And if so, does it smell of Spaghetti sauce, ;)

Kind of.  Apart from the smell, and the applications.  Unless I screw up, in which case you'll all be puddles of ooze before you know it!

(Really, just evolutionary biology work; speciation and all that jazz.)

Looking forward to seeing the page(s) anyway!  I have my suspicions...

Fatboydale

should of guessed that , i was the original owner of that page , i bought it directly from Mr Irving when he was living in war torn Yugoslavia , had to sell it when i bought a new house ...

Nice pick up .

ming

Cheers Dale.  It's a lovely piece of art; really happy to have such a great example in Frazer's iconic black and white style.  Will post a decent scan when it lands next week.

maryanddavid

Well done Dale, and Mikey, thats really nice collection.
Doms art especially look great, Flint you cant go wrong with. I really like the frames, I have mine in cheap frames, some day Ill get the cash and get them framed properly.