Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Just saw a Ron Smith Judge Child Quest DPS on eBay and looking at the close-ups, something struck me as odd... A couple of heads have been pasted on - nothing particularly strange there (even one of the images of Chopper on the page I have received the same treatment), but these don't seem to be by Ron Smith - look more like Robin Smith to me, or is it just my brain acting up?  I think Robin Smith was art editor at some point, but wasn't that later than this?

That whole McMahon / Kennedy Angel Gang pin-up thing on Pete's covers blog has me looking at all art twice these days to make sure I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing...  Er.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=%20140751230550&afsrc=1

Fatboydale

A few Anderson pages i picked up recently

Oh and a Toxic cover ...

Mikey

Ranson Anderson...swoon! Who's the Toxic cover artist? Is it Pugh?

I had a chance at a colour Ranson Dredd cover once. I arsed about so much it was sold before I made my mind up!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

SKD

Quote from: ming on 15 May, 2012, 11:48:05 PM
....but these don't seem to be by Ron Smith - look more like Robin Smith to me, or is it just my brain acting up?  I think Robin Smith was art editor at some point, but wasn't that later than this?

I don't think your brain is acting up. Looking at the eye on the first head and the shading/brushwork on both, I'd definitely say the heads were Robin Smith and not Ron Smith. Ron's work shows a heavier (neater) brush stroke and cross hatch shading. Maybe they changed the heads to add to the drama, you can still see Ron's (helmeted) forward facing head under the first overlay. 
Still, two artists for the price of one.

Stew. 

Spikes

Quote from: SKD on 16 May, 2012, 05:29:05 PM
....but these don't seem to be by Ron Smith - look more like Robin Smith to me, or is it just my brain acting up?  I think Robin Smith was art editor at some point, but wasn't that later than this?

I don't think your brain is acting up. Looking at the eye on the first head and the shading/brushwork on both, I'd definitely say the heads were Robin Smith and not Ron Smith. Ron's work shows a heavier (neater) brush stroke and cross hatch shading. Maybe they changed the heads to add to the drama, you can still see Ron's (helmeted) forward facing head under the first overlay. 
Still, two artists for the price of one.

Stew.

Yep, my thinking as well. Theres a good few bits of 2000ad art out there that was altered by the editorial team.
Now Ron was certainly no slouch when it came to producing standout characters/aliens and the rest of this episode is chock-a-block with them, so i guess the thought was that the DPS was maybe lacking that little bit of extra alien oomph, and was altered accordingly.
And now that attention has been draw to it - those two heads stick out like a sore thumb. Moral of the story; dont mess with the Ronster!

ming

Yeah - it's not something I ever noticed on the printed version (recipe: take one sheet of bog-paper, reprint artwork with dodgy paste-ups, apply lashings of colour :D) but it does stand out here.  Strange that Ron didn't do the alterations himself, though.  He's a stickler!  (Not to mention fairly quick, and a consummate professional).

LARF

Thanks to the brilliant Cliff Robinson, and Wake for pointing out it was for sale, I am now the very proud owner of this piece:

One of my most favourite covers of all time and it's mine, bwah! ha, ha, har!

Thanks Cliff, you are the man!

More bits here on Pete's blog (just look at the detail) it's unreal...

http://2000adcovers.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/cliff-robinson-blooming-crackpot.html

Spikes

This is just fantastic, :thumbsup:. Cliff really does a stella job, doesnt he. Mega Congrats on getting this, LARF.
His commission work is incredible too - theres some very lucky people on here, and elsewhere.

Quote from: ming on 16 May, 2012, 08:34:22 PM
Strange that Ron didn't do the alterations himself, though.  He's a stickler!  (Not to mention fairly quick, and a consummate professional).

I guess its probably all down to the fact it would be easier to "fix" the art there and then, instead of posting it back to the original artist to sort out, and then having to post it back again?

Fatboydale

A modern classic .... i would have bought it , if i had seen it ....well done.

Quote from: LARF on 16 May, 2012, 08:46:44 PM
Thanks to the brilliant Cliff Robinson, and Wake for pointing out it was for sale, I am now the very proud owner of this piece:

One of my most favourite covers of all time and it's mine, bwah! ha, ha, har!

Thanks Cliff, you are the man!

More bits here on Pete's blog (just look at the detail) it's unreal...

http://2000adcovers.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/cliff-robinson-blooming-crackpot.html

Fatboydale

A sensitive Judge Anderson page by Barry Kitson .

maryanddavid

I thought that was David Roach, nice page.
The Toxic cover is by Alacala(sp?) isint it?

Fatboydale

oh shit it is by David Roach , i was looking at the wrong picture while typing out ....

And yes the Toxic cover is by Enrique Alcatena

While im here , a Robin Smith Bad City blues .

opaque

Bad City Blues - Now that's a good bit of artwork :)

hippynumber1

Venus Bluegenes (from the cover of prog 1015) by Mark Harrison

Spikes

Just saw a Ron Smith Judge Child Quest DPS on eBay and looking at the close-ups, something struck me as odd... A couple of heads have been pasted on - nothing particularly strange there (even one of the images of Chopper on the page I have received the same treatment), but these don't seem to be by Ron Smith - look more like Robin Smith to me, or is it just my brain acting up?  I think Robin Smith was art editor at some point, but wasn't that later than this?

That whole McMahon / Kennedy Angel Gang pin-up thing on Pete's covers blog has me looking at all art twice these days to make sure I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing...  Er.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=%20140751230550&afsrc=1

Not long left on this now ($800 with 11 hours to go) wouldnt have minded a crack at this...