Main Menu

Life on Mars

Started by paulvonscott, 10 January, 2006, 04:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megadeth

Awww is that it? I thought I might be missing out on a curious 70's delicacy.

I will hopefully catch the next one but Monday is the worst possibe night for me and my video has just packed up so it might be a download for me.

Rob Spalding

I remember reading somewhere that the writers DO know what is ghoing on and why.  And they expect to let us know by series 3 or 4.

On the other hand, the guys behind Lost have said that as well.

Oddboy

I enjoyed it -

Huge quantities of cheese spread throughout... but fun nonetheless.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Devons Daddy

ok team.
lets have spiolers written on this for future threads ok. im getting this by weeks end from the uk.
but by all accounts so far. bloody ace. looking forward to it.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Dudley

Ummm... wasn't this the basic plot of the last Pratchett but one?

SamuelAWilkinson

I think it was the last but last but one, but you're rightish, now you mention it.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Richmond Clements

Is that 'Nightwatch'?
That was the last one I read, I think.

Steve Green

Spaghetti Hoops I'd imagine, pasta in tomato sauce, like Alphabetti Spaghetti.

- Steve

Rob Spalding

The fight in the hospital was hilarious.
Still a cracking bit of TV, even my Dad didn't complain and he moans about everything.

Oddboy

Less strangeness this episode, more cop-show - still entertaining.

Looking forward to next week.
Better set your phaser to stun.

House of Usher

We're on episode 2 now, aren't we?

I thought episode 1 was great, real quality tv drama. The 1970s was evoked very well (a few things about it I didn't buy, but very minor quibbles, especially given that there's a suspicion of unreality about everything that's going on). Dunno about Terry Ptratchett, but this reminds me of the second Iain Banks novel I read.

;-)

You know the one?

Anyway: minor quibbles -

I wasn't convinced by the trimphone behind the bar in the pub. I've never seen that before in my life. The value of 27p in the victim's purse was hugely exaggerated. And several other things besides, none of which were impossible, just decidedly unusual.

The convincing evocation of 1970s life is one of the things that made it particularly enjoyable for me, and it's rare to see it done with so much skill.
STRIKE !!!

Devons Daddy

WOW
that really is great TV,

totally bloody brillant and completey original.touches of the sweeney meets CSI and several other little things.which where exgerated to keep you thinking this isnt real or is it bad writing and acting.

i say he is in a coma,the neil character is a doctor from 2006. and he keeps getting flash backs.but brain stem dead has been mentioned.

but really great tv. (getting it on DVD weekly)
but overall bloody brillant.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

House of Usher

No, he's got brain stem bruising. Which still doesn't sound good.
STRIKE !!!

Quirkafleeg

Think I've worked out why he's been sent back in time...

pauljholden

My current theory is that he's in a coma, working out some sort of tragic issue that happened to him when he was 4 - but he's doing it within his own comfort zone - being a cop - but his only reference for police procedures in 1973 are 70s cop shows (which probably resembled real police work then as much as the bill does today). So, to sum up: he's living an episode of the Sweeny until the final episode when he has to confront something that happened when 'e were a lad.

I'm not sure how much milage they can get out of that though, but I'm really enjoying the whole thing.

-pj