Main Menu

Subtle continuity?

Started by Proudhuff, 14 January, 2006, 12:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

"Didn't Thoth teleport a Judge to Termight and Satanus recognised him, so it must have been Dredd-Era Satanus rather than the original... "

Aha!  But what if Claw Carver had travelled forward in time to Mega-City One, kidnapped a Judge and then gone back in time to meet the original Satanus?

New series:  Judge Cretaceous:  The Legend of Shamana's Extra-Judicial Relationship Love-Child!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Floyd-the-k

how do you make a continuity "stringer"? Shouldn't that be "more stringy"?

Sorry about that........it's been a long day

yours, confused after reading this thread,

alternative-earth Floyd

JTurner

Continuity is all well and good, but do people really want the tooth equivalent of the DC universe - which to me seems like an excuse for profitable crossover miniseries?

It may be good to see Johnny Alpha and Dredd in the same story, but the flip side is that continuity crushes any artistic flexibility - an example that springs to mind is all of the DC superheroes being shoehorned into Sandman.

What next - Cabalistics vs Judge Death? Oh no, what have I said...

Steve Green

I'm not fussed to be honest, although part of me quite likes it when there are nods to existing (tooth) history, as it seems to give the story a more consistent feel, but it is limiting.

It can get pretty tangled if you want to follow continuity, try connecting the 'lost' future earth of Durham Red with Termight for example.

Or the Dredd stories with him going back to the presidency of the Clinton Era, which would be around the same time as the Volgan War.

- Steve

[YT-2]

>Yeah, the inside track on the other message board has said that The Volgan War is no longer considered a part of Dredd continuity - that pretty much says it all.

I think you'll find that John has never considered the Volgans part of Dredd's world and so far they havent been part of the Origins storyline and unless there's a drastic rewrite dont imagine they will be.

Roger Godpleton

When I first started reading the prog, I thought that everything existed within the same universe, mainly as a result of DC conditioning, but I realised after a coupla weeks that this wasn't the case.

On a side note, how many "____verses" are there?

I see any universe that has two or more clearly distinguishable strips occurring within it, so thus far I see:
Dreddverse
Milliverse
Strontverse
Rogueverse
and (Stretching it a bit?) the Tyrannyverse.

Well?...

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Cthulouis

"and (Stretching it a bit?) the Tyrannyverse."

I misread that as tranyverse.

Eric Plumrose

Personal taste and revisionism aside, and in approximate chronological order:

DREDDVERSE
Harlem Heroes [first series]
Judge Dredd
Walter the Wobot, Hell-Trekkers, etc.
Anderson - Psi Division
Chopper
Judge Death
Red Razors, Armitage, Shimura, Harmony, etc.
Missionary Man, Cursed Earth Koburn, etc.

CROSS-CONTINUITY
-- MILLSVERSE
Flesh Book 2
Flesh [Book 1]
-- MISCELLANY
Flesh - Chronocide
-- MILLSVERSE
Disaster 1990
Invasion!
ABC Warriors
Ro-Busters
-- MISCELLANY
Inferno
Harlem Heroes [second series onwards]
-- MISCELLANY/MILLSVERSE
Satanus
-- STRONTVERSE
Young Middenface
Strontium Dog, Tales from the Doghouse
Strontium Dogs
Durham Red
-- MILLSVERSE
Nemesis the Warlock
ABC Warriors [second series onwards]

POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE TIME-LINES
-- MILLSVERSE
Savage
-- MISCELLANY
Rogue Trooper

APROCRYPHA
Dan Dare, Ace Trucking, Co., Bad Company, Tyranny Rex, etc.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Eric Plumrose

Looking over the above, there are a couple of mistakes I've made, but you get the picture.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Proudhuff

Shouldn't Dinosty be in the Satanus/ Millsverse?

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Prog: 1471.

Dredd: "Helmet... AMPLIFY" Since when did Helm tech slip into the Dreddverse? see creeping continuity!

Cabbie'sInk:  Surely that's the floating cell's Stan Lee was held in? see creeping continuity!

Confusion, Chaos, melting circuits?

My work here is done!

Huff the Humble!
DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

I do like the occasionally sardonic temperament of the Lawmaster bikes - especially when they're asked to do something suicidal.

"Helmet...AMPLIFY" is just an extension of "Bike...TO ME", and all that was around long before Rogue Trooper was even a twinkle in a Genie's eye.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++