Main Menu

Stallone's Dredd Movie

Started by Mike Carroll, 26 October, 2001, 12:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

I'm new to this message board, so please forgive me if I'm raking over old coals here...

Personally, I love the first Dredd movie. Okay, maybe "love" is too strong a word, but I do like it a lot. I think it looks cool, has some great action sequences, and it about as true to the Dredd mythos as we could expect from Hollywood (it was closer to the "real" Dredd than the DC Comics version)

As for whether Stallone was a good choice... The jury is still out on that one. I would have liked to see someone who didn't remove his helmet, so a non-star would have been a good choice.

For the next two movies, Dredd should be played by someone a lot bigger - maybe Dolph Lundgren? He doesn't have to act much - just be tough (and permanently helmetted).

Regardless of the actor or the budget, the key thing to get right is the script...

fraston

I think here we see another example of how all things in art or comics is subjective: i know many who hated sly's movie, and others like the previous chap who loved it, even tho love is too strong a word:)

i apply this thinking to all the strips in 2000ad, wether i like em or not. simply, if i hate it, there's bound to be someone out there who loves it equally.

well, aside from soul sisters that is.

and is it wrong of me to like Steve Moore's future shocks?

F

kraken

I'll agree with you about the film. I really liked it. It was the last movie I went to see twice.
I'll also agree with you about Dolph. The Punisher was gack but came across as a very convincing 'depressed' Dredd!
Plus, he is a big bastard!