Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

I watched The One, the Jet Li movie. What a great concept! Killing your alternate selves to gain their power until you become a god. Like a (properly) sci-fi Highlander (no aliens pls). Cheesy and corny as of course thanks to Jason Statham's cod-american growly accent - why oh why not just let him use his actual voice - and the extensive use of metal as the sound track. But baffled I didn't watch this earlier, all problems aside.

JamesC

The One is bonkers but I'm not sure it's quite as bonkers as Unleashed in which Jet Li fights Bob Hoskins! It also stars Morgan Freeman (what a cast!)

Hawkmumbler

Plague of the Zombies

Excellent mid-60's Hammer flick, part of their experimental cycle to try and find a new franchise to rival Dracula or Frankenstein. Nothing from this period seemed to stick but we did get some phenomenal one and dones from '62-66, and this is one of the strongest.

Andre Morell is fab in this and it's delightful to find a zombie movie that isn't about a contagion, which appears to be the flavour of the genre currently, a return to more mystic roots for the genre is long overdue.

Studio Canal delivery a fantastic bluray which I highly recomend, for a movie on the older side of 50 it looks astounding.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 19 July, 2018, 12:58:14 PM
I watched The One, the Jet Li movie. What a great concept! Killing your alternate selves to gain their power until you become a god. Like a (properly) sci-fi Highlander (no aliens pls). Cheesy and corny as of course thanks to Jason Statham's cod-american growly accent - why oh why not just let him use his actual voice - and the extensive use of metal as the sound track. But baffled I didn't watch this earlier, all problems aside.

I think I commented on this a while ago when I caught it on late night TV but can't find it - IIRC it felt to me like a TV pilot that never got made, and I wasn't that impressed by the set-piece fight scenes. great premise though.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 July, 2018, 03:39:19 PM
Plague of the Zombies

Excellent mid-60's Hammer flick, part of their experimental cycle to try and find a new franchise to rival Dracula or Frankenstein. Nothing from this period seemed to stick but we did get some phenomenal one and dones from '62-66, and this is one of the strongest.

Andre Morell is fab in this and it's delightful to find a zombie movie that isn't about a contagion, which appears to be the flavour of the genre currently, a return to more mystic roots for the genre is long overdue.

Studio Canal delivery a fantastic bluray which I highly recomend, for a movie on the older side of 50 it looks astounding.

It does indeed. They did a good job.

Not so good on the Devil Rides Out one though...Grrr

Hawkmumbler

The addition of the new special effect to The Devil Rides out is baffling, as an optional extra sure that works wonders for a lot of classic Doctor Who, but as the only option? Horrible decision.

Mattofthespurs

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 20 July, 2018, 10:16:02 AM
The addition of the new special effect to The Devil Rides out is baffling, as an optional extra sure that works wonders for a lot of classic Doctor Who, but as the only option? Horrible decision.

Say what now.  One of my favourite horror films, please say they didn't Lucasify it?

Hawkmumbler

TordelBack

Blimey.  That Death background addition reaches Ronto levels of unnecessary.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 July, 2018, 06:45:45 PM
Skyscraper

There was literally nothing else we fancied on, and we'd really enjoyed Jumanji, which was the first Dwayne Johnson film I'd seen since The Mummy Returns, so we thought we'd give it a go.

This is a STUPID movie. I wouldn't be surprised if its genesis was literally Johnson saying: "Die Hard? I could do that standing on one leg... and while you're at it, set the building on fire."

But... I'm sorry, it was enormous fun. Every plot twist is telegraphed in advance, there isn't a character you could even dignify with the description of "two dimensional", but it's enormous fun. And it only runs to about an hour fifty, so it doesn't outstay its welcome...

Agreed. Ludicrous and enjoyable in equal measure. And overwritten to within an inch of its life. "How will he do X?" "Let's have some Basil earlier on that explains he used to do X!".

And if the sequel doesn't have blatant WD40 product placement, I'll be really disappointed.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Smith

Brat/Brother.Its a pretty unique thing,and I can see why it enjoys a cult classic status.

JamesC

Green Room

What a horrible film.

A punk band witness a murder at a venue and are then trapped and hunted by a group of muderous nazi skinheads.
I don't know why anyone wants to make a film like this. It had nothing to say, it wasn't clever in any way, just horribly violent.

wedgeski

Incredibles 2

Sequel to my favourite Pixar movie, and very good it was too. Lots of genuine hilarity, and it looked amazing. Suffered a little from naff villain syndrome (Ithangyou). Amazingly imaginative and heartfelt, with a great score. Win!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: JamesC on 24 July, 2018, 01:18:10 PM
Green Room

What a horrible film.

A punk band witness a murder at a venue and are then trapped and hunted by a group of muderous nazi skinheads.
I don't know why anyone wants to make a film like this. It had nothing to say, it wasn't clever in any way, just horribly violent.

I liked it.