Main Menu

ARTDROIDS.CO.UK WEBSITE IS GO!

Started by +rufus+, 11 May, 2006, 03:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scutfink

So what you're saying Rufus is it's like the difference between seeing a painting in a gallery, getting up close to see all the brush strokes and bristles stuck to the canvas and all, and buying a cheap-ass print from Athena?

And wake, I've been looking at that Kev Walker piece for a while now, trying to formulate a response that doesn't make me come across as a petulant moron...

I'll get back to you :)

Wake

when they're unlettered they just tend to look (to me) like a random collection of images.

One of the good things about older artwork is that they still have the lettering. When I'm buying unlettered artwork one of the things I consider is whether the page makes sense in it's 'silent' form. Here's an example of one such page that I bought from Rufus. I like it because we get to see Anderson's face from several different angles and with several expressions as the scene develops.

Cheers,

Wake

Link: http://www.2000ad.org/artwork/image.php?Image=satan6_4.jpg&choice=WAKE" target="_blank">Click to enlarge

http://www.2000ad.org/artwork/thumbnails/satan6_4.jpg">

Dunk!

The thrill of individual pages can also be purely in the sentimental value that they hold for the owner.

This Halo Jones page isn't very dynamic, but because of what it is - a page from the first episode of one of my favourite 2000ad strips - it holds a special place in my heart, pride of place in my studio and i couldn't see myself selling it.

Link: http://www.2000ad.org/artwork/halo1_1_6.jpg" target="_blank">Out.

"Trust we"

Keef Monkey

" I don't get it(collecting original comic art that is)"

Having never owned any original comic art I don't really know how that feels, but a couple of christmases ago my girlfriend managed to find me an original piece of Tool art(my favourite band) done for one of their tour posters and I still get a thrill from looking at it and I think it must be the same with the comic stuff.
There's a thrill to knowing that no-one else has it and also I think it's a form of expression to decorate your home with things that are an extension of your love for something(like Tool, or comic books). I can also see it from your perspective though.
I wouldn't want loads of stuff, just maybe one really good piece. Like The Dude's rug, it would hold the room together nicely.  

opaque

I agree with you Rufus about the money going right to the artists, much deserved.
Seems like there might be a demand for maybe non published pieces in a standard form ata  lower price as well as commissions?

To Scutfink:
To get a whole story is very unlikely in a lot of cases. I collect pages from stories I really like, individual pages that mean something to me.
Like my Halo Jones cracking eggs page is from one of the first progs I ever bought.
In the case of some artists you don't just see what they drew up, you get to see every brushstroke. The Devlin Waugh pages by Colin McNeil are actually wonderful paintings of great detail that is just not possible to reproduce in print.
Unfortunately due to space restrictions all bar a few pages are in art folders under this desk I'm at. Our walls don't hold any weight.

Buddy

I also love the detail on original art that the printed image doesn't capture. The pencil lines, the amount of tipex Jock uses up, the bits of paper stuck on over mistakes etc...

Now that I'm financially sound again I'll certainly be picking up more pages as soon as I get the chance.

Megadeth

I'd love to own some original artwork but so far I haven't found a piece that has really grabbed me, although I think this is mainly due to only looking at them online. I think if I was presented with a selection in 'the flesh' so to speak I would find loads I wanted to spend my money.

In particular I want to own some Cabalistics Inc, some Charlie Adlard (Savage or even Walking Dead) and going on the same path as others have posted a page of 'From Grace' as it started in the first 2000ad I bought and was the first strip I really latched onto.

opaque

I've bought nearly all of mine online (as I don't go to cons etc) but when I did see some in the flesh it was very hard to resist :)

Queen Firey-Bou

blimey Rufus i didnt recognise you with an icon n all .

great that the sites now up & running, i shall be drooling at it...mind you i'm running out of wall space.

That was some awesomely delicious colin macNeil stuff at bristol that we were squinting at from different angles to see all the brush strokes.

i never did capture dom and his faeries, by the time he was sellotaped down art was rather off the agenda..  

once i got my new job i shall buy the whole WORLD*   WHA HA HA HAA !!!

* or possibly just pay the rent & c'tax.

+rufus+

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say Good Bye to you , Your Bouness!
 I'll track down dom's faeries fer ye.
;-)
Love from London Towne...
rufus

Queen Firey-Bou

och just shove that rapscallion young droid in a padded envelope & i'll sellotape him to the drawing board here..

sorry i shuffled my hungover feets away without doing the rounds, anyway goodbyes suck x