Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

If Disney want Ron Howard to be named as director on the credits, he needs to have shot over half the footage. If its two thirds shot already, that suggests reshoots are coming.

If Superman 2 is anything to go by, anyway.

SIP

Quote from: Woolly on 14 July, 2017, 08:53:24 AM
If Disney want Ron Howard to be named as director on the credits, he needs to have shot over half the footage. If its two thirds shot already, that suggests reshoots are coming.

If Superman 2 is anything to go by, anyway.

Reshoots were actually booked into the shooting schedule as 5 weeks before filming even started. Possible it may be extended.

TordelBack

It is interesting to speculate on how a Howard/Kasdan Director/Writer team would have been received at the outset. Impressive line-up, but it does suggest 'yet more of the same', a flaw TFA and R1 share, instead of the different tone that we might have expected from the Lego Movie/21 Jump St guys. I'm imagining that we were looking at something lighter and perhaps even spoofier in their approach, and I'm assuming that Kennedy didn't want that for her Han Solo flick. As a genuine pro Howard may well be tasked with stamping out a lot of that sensibility by means of what remains of the shoot.

All this begs the question: what are these 'Anthology' films for, if not to try new things (as well as what the rationale for hiring Lord and Miller was).   With the extrnsive R1 reshoots and major additions in mind, it looks like there might be a far stronger focus on making the off-year films fit the overall 'saga' template than had at first been indicated.

Professor Bear

I think they just bottled it late in the day.  SW is powered only by nostalgia at this stage and they're afraid of gambling on something that colours too far outside the lines.  MOR retreads of what we know ala TFA, that's the ticket until something bombs and they're forced to take chances.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 14 July, 2017, 09:04:28 AM
Reshoots were actually booked into the shooting schedule as 5 weeks before filming even started. Possible it may be extended.

Additional shooting is always locked into a schedule but this apparently involves a lot of reshooting scenes rather than extra pick-ups. The story goes that when they looked at the scenes in isolation they worked great but when assembled as a film block didn't hang together, so I guess the reshoots will be for an extended period.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 14 July, 2017, 12:23:37 PM
I think they just bottled it late in the day.  SW is powered only by nostalgia at this stage and they're afraid of gambling on something that colours too far outside the lines.  MOR retreads of what we know ala TFA, that's the ticket until something bombs and they're forced to take chances.

All too true. While I was surprised by how much I enjoyed TFA, and can appreciate  R1 for what it is rather than what I wanted it to be, I'm still desperately hungry for something new. Yet when I look at the TLJ vehicle and costume designs revealed in the Lego catalogue, I can feel my eyelids dropping already.  At least George reinvented the look with each of the first 5 movies.

Frank

"I think you're right - I'm not thinking stupid enough" :

https://youtu.be/kjEd3DpH_e0

Professor Bear

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 20 July, 2017, 10:56:49 AM

"I think you're right - I'm not thinking stupid enough" :

https://youtu.be/kjEd3DpH_e0

Yeah, that had me crying with laughter (and possibly a hint of despair) - one of RLM's best.

On the other hand I didn't think Jenny's version was as good as she can be.

TordelBack

Ron Howard seems to constitute the entirety of the Han Solo PR team, and while I like his style, the hints still don't exactly inspire.  Most recent:  [spoiler] looks like the [spoiler]spice mines of Kessel are definitely going to feature, in addition to the [spoiler]eponymous run[/spoiler][/spoiler].  -sigh-

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 September, 2017, 12:55:52 AM
the hints still don't exactly inspire.  Most recent:  [spoiler] looks like the [spoiler]spice mines of Kessel are definitely going to feature, in addition to the [spoiler]eponymous run[/spoiler][/spoiler].  -sigh-

I'll see your -sigh- and raise you a FFS. Interest definitely waning...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 September, 2017, 07:06:09 AM
the hints still don't exactly inspire.  Most recent:  [spoiler] looks like the [spoiler]spice mines of Kessel are definitely going to feature, in addition to the [spoiler]eponymous run[/spoiler][/spoiler].  -sigh-

I'll see your -sigh- and raise you a FFS. Interest definitely waning...

Has anyone involved in the film yet used the phrase "We'll finally get to see..." in reference to this? As though none of us have been able to enjoy the original films because we haven't seen every second of every character's lives.

It's only a matter of time.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

(whispers) and yet, you lot loved Rogue One (ducks).

Ron Howard seems to constitute the entirety of the Han Solo PR team, and while I like his style, the hints still don't exactly inspire.  Most recent:  [spoiler] looks like the [spoiler]spice mines of Kessel are definitely going to feature, in addition to the [spoiler]eponymous run[/spoiler][/spoiler].  -sigh-

Yeah I saw this too. This film is basically going to consist of:

[spoiler]Han and Chewie meeting[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Spice Mines/Kessel run in 12 parsecs[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Han winning the Falcon from Lando[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Dumping the cargo, getting raided by the Empire, starting the vendetta with Jabba[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Jabba the Hutt/Boba Fett/Greedo/Darth bloody Vader cameos[/spoiler]

and also probably:

Han getting involved in some huge space battles/saving the galaxy etc despite the fact that he's supposed to be a bit of a self-interested, loudmouthed nobody when we meet him in the original movie - because you just know that as with Rogue One, Lucasfilm won't have the confidence to tell a low-key, smaller scale story that isn't packed with cameos and is largely unrelated to the original trilogy.

Oh, and all of these events are going to play out over the condensed timeframe of a few days within the movie.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

You know, those little throwaway lines of dialogue from the original trilogy - the 'clone wars', 'kessel run' etc etc - they're just there to provide a bit of flavour and fire the imagination of the viewer - to hint at a much larger canvas than the events we can see on screen. To take every single one of those little lines and depict them in the most literal fashion completely robs them of this, and makes the universe of Star Wars seem so tiny and humdrum. Not to mention it's incredibly lazy and unimaginative. This kind of thing is precisely what I hated about the old 'Extended Universe' stuff.

If Disney want Star Wars to run for the next 40 years, sooner or later they're going to actually have to start inventing more of this stuff, not just strip-mining the original trilogy for every last morsel of backstory.

Count me out.

DrRocka

Radiator, if you ever wanna run for Tzar, I'm yer Rasputin.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Professor Bear

Disney don't understand Star Wars, that's why the last two movies flopped.