Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 23 September, 2019, 05:56:06 AM
In our thrilling hundred and seventy-fifth episode Fox and Conrad take a break from reviewing weekly progs to reminisce on the whole of 2000 AD comics for the year 1987. It's a chance to reflect, review, and give out awards! Welcome to the 1987 Spinnies! At the end of every chronological year in our prog timeline we give out awards to the storylines and thrills we liked best over the last year. Stay tuned until the end to hear what's coming up in 1988 from both 2000AD and our show!

Direct Download

The link shortener for the direct download isn't working for me?  Luckily I know to go to SpaceSpinner2000.com (or listen in spotify).  Unfortunately this means I just rick-rolled myself!

SpaceSpinner2000

This link should work!

When I saw that song was the number one single in the UK for 1987 I knew what I had to do!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 24 September, 2019, 02:48:20 PM
Never gonna give you up, Space Spinner 2000!

At the same time, we promise to never make you cry or say goodbye!

(only splundig vur thrigg!)
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

The Monarch

excited you will be doing the meg eventually

and excited to talk about my first annual with you too

Dandontdare

Another wonderful Spinnies - congratulations on sticking with this for a whole decade of progs, and apologies that for the 10th year in a row I have not gotten my arse in gear quickly enough to contribute.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and seventy-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 555-558 of 2000AD, covering January 1988. This episode Chopper's in Oz, Torquemada has a fly problem, Bad Company is headed to the heart of the matter, and the ABC Warriors are back! Spread the word!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Quote from: The Monarch on 26 September, 2019, 12:49:23 PM
excited you will be doing the meg eventually

and excited to talk about my first annual with you too
It's gonna be a lot of fun!

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 September, 2019, 12:56:01 PM
Another wonderful Spinnies - congratulations on sticking with this for a whole decade of progs, and apologies that for the 10th year in a row I have not gotten my arse in gear quickly enough to contribute.
No worries, but we'd love to hear from you!

Colin YNWA

Just seen the new logo over on dat der Facebook and wow that's... spectacular!

SpaceSpinner2000

That reminds me!

<------ ENJOY!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad, a great start to a new year of progs.

About the Ropbocop connection - well I think it is stronger than you guys do, with the differences likely being made to avoid the influence going beyond 'inspiration' into 'rip-off'.

On Wikipedia it says:
QuoteThe character of RoboCop itself was inspired by British comic book hero Judge Dredd,[9] as well as the Japanese toku series Space Sheriff Gavan[10] and the Marvel Comics superhero Rom.
and there are citations given for the Dredd and Gavan on this sentance.

There is also the following pre-production model from the making of Robocop:

I do not know much about Robocop but remember it coming out and watched it at least once, and I remember the Dredd connection being obvious to some of my friends. The film is different enough from Dredd though to be its own thing.

SpaceSpinner2000

Wow, that's interesting! The one thing I didn't check on wikipedia and it comes back to bite me! :D I'll chalk it up to me encountering Robocop first and my general prejudice against people in the US knowing anything about Judge Dredd/2000AD to the mistake. Also a general reluctance to engage too much with the Flix column, which I find to be incredibly sour and not fun

sheridan

Could I object to the new logo?  Because you can't have a new 2000AD-related logo without someone objecting ;)

SpaceSpinner2000

Credo! It's the seventeenth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

It's been way too long since our last collections episode, especially since the most recent one ended on a cliffhanger with the first half of Nemesis book one complete and another half to finish! So here we are again, fighting humans and bringing peace to the galaxy, or something. After the first half's rip-roaring introduction and expansion of the world of Nemesis and Torquemada we're now starting to see full fledged stories and intrigue break out between our protagonist and antagonist, as well as the introduction of themes and characters that will influence the story going forward.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

AlexF

There is an awful lot of 80s nostalgia going on in my TV watching / podcast listening habits of late, and none can touch the 80s glory of the new SS2000 logo.

But what's SpaceSpinner2000 going to look like in the year 1990?