Main Menu

My Favourite Explosions

Started by Tiplodocus, 18 February, 2008, 01:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

I'm not sure if this really counts as an explosion, because you can't exactly see it, but when the brain-bomb goes off inside the woman's head at the beginning of Mission Impossible 3. You think her head's about to explode, and then there's a tiny click, and her face just swells slightly..... Damned effective.

You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Pete Wells

Aw man, I'd forgotten how good some of those Star Wars explosions were, with the exception of the original Original Death Star explosion which just looked like a balloon popping. A case where cgi fixed it if y'ask me!

I seem to remember some great disingregraitng spaceship explosions from Starship Troopers too.

And an unlikely candedate is Forest Gump. The napalm explosions in Vietnam as he runs with Bubba are class, and genuine too as the thread demanded!

I couldn't help but include my favourite comic explosion too, just to be completely geeky. It's this beauty from Frank Quitely in the first episode of Simura. The movement is breathtaking!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Wellsy/foom.jpg?t=1203508014">

the shutdown man

The opening of Syriana, when Clooney makes the deal, walks calmly away, and then the car blows up behind him and he just keeps walking.

Die Hard 4, car meets helicopter.

mogzilla

the lightning strike near the beggining of ratatouille.

Keef Monkey

"It's this beauty from Frank Quitely in the first episode of Simura. The movement is breathtaking!"

I love that, especially the fact that the word FOOM is the backdrop to the image. Great stuff.

the shutdown man

Dunno how I forgot this, but the ending of V for Vendetta, when the music swells, and the explosions begin, racing along with the camera.

Eric Plumrose

>> You know the one that's a Klingon moon exploding.

I can maybe accept, say, the CGI version of the Death Star exploding with a disc-like wave but surely a moon should have a spherical blast emanating from it?
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

TordelBack

But Praxis wasn't just a moon - it was the power source of the entire Klingon empi... uh, say what?  How'd that work then?

SamuelAWilkinson

It clearly must've housed a giant battery factory...
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

the shutdown man

I'm guessing it was like a giant mine?

The Monarch

the Incredibles had some really good explosions okay it is fully cg but man those were good explosions

Funt Solo

::"But Praxis wasn't just a moon - it was the power source of the entire Klingon empi... uh, say what? How'd that work then?"

A giant space-cable, of course.  I've done the Space Maths, and it's all perfectly feasible.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++