Main Menu

Future Dredd artist collections

Started by Dark Jimbo, 28 May, 2008, 02:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Just wondering who else we'd like to see. I think the concept of these books is a cracking one, even if, as with Flint and Ezquerra's books, the selection of stories on offer isn't always fried gold. My progs aren't going to be around for ever, so I like to have some of the fondly remembered one-offs in trade form - it's nice to be reminded that Dredd doesn't always have to be an epic with a high body count.

So, may I humbly suggest -

Ian Gibson - One of the founding fathers of Dredd. His Robo-Hunter work became prety substandard, but he always seemed to up his game when working on Dredd. There's more than enough to fill a collection - the Planet Gary stuff, Judgement, Global Psycho, The Marriage Game, Lost in Cyberspace - all minor classics. And it might always help to build a few bridges.

Paul Marshall - A bit of an unsung hero, in my book. Always turns in nice work, and he really 'gets' the crazy cits of the Big Meg. He's basically the new Ron Smith. I'm sure he must have done enougb Dredd by now to merit a collection, even if none of it's overtly classic stuff. Rennie and Spurrier have written him numerous stories that were just good, madcap fun, but he's also done some Wagner.

Dave Taylor - Still a new kid on the block, sure, but the quality of his work surely merits a collection. His rendiitons of the city are spot-on, and given that most of his Dredds up till now have been Megazine stories, that already gives him quite a healthy page-count (stick the Anderson tale in there too, which I'm sure would read better in one go.)

Cliff Robinson - Dubious about whether he did enough colour Dredd strips to make this viable, but what he did do was aces.

Anyone else?
@jamesfeistdraws

Satanist

Ron Smith - But I imagine most of his good stuff is in the case files already?
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dark Jimbo

Yeah, I was trying to think mainly of the colour era, stuff that would benefit from a better paper stock and won't reasonably be covered by the Case Files (although let's not start that debate again...)
@jamesfeistdraws

Satanist

In that case I suggest Greg Staples.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

+rufus+

Colour Mick McMahon Collection.

Mmmmm..

the Annual stories, Howler etc.

Dunk!

Colour Mick McMahon Collection.

Bingo! Having just got a 1982 annual off Ebay, due to it being mentioned here, I'd love to see this work rescanned and printed on better paper.

An interview with the great man as well would be the cherry on the sundae.
"Trust we"

Ignatzmonster

**Colour Mick McMahon Collection. **

Hell yeh. And throw in Last American: I can't find a collection of that for love or money.

Large48

Gibson! YES!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Smith, still one of the best.....

Rufus, you just need to do a few more to get your own one! ;-)
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

radiator

Greg Staples, McMahon and at a stretch possibly Pete Doherty?

I've always though there could be mileage in a chunky themed Dredd collection focusing on crazy mega-citizens. You could have all the Angel of Death/Bishop Desmond Snodgrass/Simp/Slick Dickens/Mrs Gunderson strips, or possibly just a looser collection to include stuff like 'Chair Man Dilbert', 'No More Jimmy Deans', 'Fast Food' and balance it out with some of the more hard hitting strips like 'Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart', 'Simple Domestic'. There's plenty of never reprinted classic Meg Dredds you could throw in.

They could call it 'Mad City' and make that the lead strip.

radiator

radiator

Possible McMahon Collection: 128 pages

Voices Off 1 episode (Prog 1308) 6 pages
Script: John Wagner, Artist: Mike McMahon, Colour: Chris Blythe, Letters: Tom Frame

Shaggy's Big Shoot 1 episode (Prog 1539) 6 pages
Script: Robbie Morrison, Artist: Mike McMahon, Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Howler 4 episodes (Megs 2.53 to 2.56) 36 pages
Script: John Wagner, Artist: Mike McMahon

Hot Pursuit 1 episode (Meg 3.03) 6 pages
Script: Chris Standley, Artist: Mike McMahon

Videophones (2000AD Annual 1978) 6 pages
Script: Malcolm Shaw, Artist: Mike McMahon

Whitey's Brother (2000AD Annual 1978) 4 pages
Script: Steve Moore, Artist: Mike McMahon
Featuring: "Whitey" Logan

Pinboing Wizard (Judge Dredd Annual 1981) 6 pages
Script: John Wagner as John Howard, Artist: Mike McMahon, Letters: Tom Frame

Compulsory Purchase (Judge Dredd Annual 1981) 7 pages
Script: John Wagner, Artist: Mike McMahon, Letters: Tom Frame

The Fear That Made Milwaukee Famous (Judge Dredd Annual 1981) 16 pages

Anatomy of a Crime! (Judge Dredd Annual 1982) 6 pages
Script: John Wagner, Artist: Mike McMahon

The Vampire Effect (Judge Dredd Annual 1982) 16 pages

Meg-City Rumble (Judge Dredd Annual 1982) 7 pages

Future Crimes (2000AD Prog 2000) 6 pages
Script: John Wagner, Artist: Mike McMahon, Colour: Trevor Hairsine, Letters: Tom Frame

Bart Oliver

Goes without saying I'd like to see a McM collection published.

Three of the newer strips listed there I've not read.

http://mickmcmahon.onlinefolio.biz/IMG-90700309/dredd_colour.gif">
Obviously you're not a golfer.

+rufus+

I've got most of that McM Art as original art... love to see it rescanned!

:-)

IndigoPrime

"Possible McMahon Collection: 128 pages"

I'd love to see something like that, BUT it would have to be in chronological order (to show how his style has changed over time), and it'd be great to get an interview with him. Hell, if Rebellion can get McMahon's involvement, I'd be happy to write the interview for the book for nothing.

Peter Wolf

"Ron Smith, still one of the best..... "

Ron Smith,still the best.....

Theres a bit of positive unconstructive criticism.You dont feel the need to explain something if you are positive or at least not as much.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death