Main Menu

Prophet #31

Started by Andy Smart, 27 November, 2012, 07:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Smart

Anyone hear read Prophet? Probably one of the best sci-fi comics right now.

This week's issue features a Boo Cook cover and there's a preview at CBR right now.

Andy_Lee

Anyone not reading Prophet is missing out on a big treat. Didn't know 31 was out. There is a Prophet thread on here somewhere.

Andy Smart

I didn't see a topic on this page (and thought Boo was a good excuse to make another).

One issue of Prophet has more great ideas and crazy shit happening than collected editions of any other comic. It's amazing that it came out of a Rob Liefeld series.

Speaking of Extreme, I liked the first six issues of Glory but haven't bought it since it went on a break. Is anyone still following it? Should I catch back up with it?

gdwessel

Can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow!

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Andy Smart on 27 November, 2012, 10:21:01 PM
I didn't see a topic on this page (and thought Boo was a good excuse to make another). Speaking of Extreme, I liked the first six issues of Glory but haven't bought it since it went on a break. Is anyone still following it? Should I catch back up with it?

The February 2013 solicitation says it is the penultimate issue, didn't have the sales to survive I suppose. I enjoyed the trade, can't tell you about the following issues unfortunately.

Link Prime

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 28 November, 2012, 10:10:18 PM
The February 2013 solicitation says it is the penultimate issue, didn't have the sales to survive I suppose. I enjoyed the trade, can't tell you about the following issues unfortunately.

Ah, f-ck it...

Davek

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 28 November, 2012, 10:10:18 PM
Quote from: Andy Smart on 27 November, 2012, 10:21:01 PM
I didn't see a topic on this page (and thought Boo was a good excuse to make another). Speaking of Extreme, I liked the first six issues of Glory but haven't bought it since it went on a break. Is anyone still following it? Should I catch back up with it?

I think the title has been on a very slight downward slide since the trade.  Every issue has some great moments, but the story isn't strong enough to continue at this rate.  i enjoyed the first few issues because it focused on the Earth Empire Prophets - but I think since introducing John Prophet a bit more work could have been done showing who John is actually fighting (who are the Earth Empire).

The back ups have deteriorated as well.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Davek on 29 November, 2012, 10:54:15 PMI think the title has been on a very slight downward slide since the trade.  Every issue has some great moments, but the story isn't strong enough to continue at this rate.  i enjoyed the first few issues because it focused on the Earth Empire Prophets - but I think since introducing John Prophet a bit more work could have been done showing who John is actually fighting (who are the Earth Empire).

Link Prime and I were on a side-track about Glory, I've said nothing Prophet being cancelled!

Andy Smart

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 30 November, 2012, 08:24:59 PM
Quote from: Davek on 29 November, 2012, 10:54:15 PMI think the title has been on a very slight downward slide since the trade.  Every issue has some great moments, but the story isn't strong enough to continue at this rate.  i enjoyed the first few issues because it focused on the Earth Empire Prophets - but I think since introducing John Prophet a bit more work could have been done showing who John is actually fighting (who are the Earth Empire).

Link Prime and I were on a side-track about Glory, I've said nothing Prophet being cancelled!

Yeah, good thing too. Prophet seems to be doing well.

Although it's a shame about Glory. I wanted to like it. I did like it but perhaps not enough. The creative team is great and I loved Ross Campbell's design of Glory with her huge hulk-like frame. But the first storyline never lived up to that promise. It was fun but not enough to justify buying each issue. I say it's a shame because it was better than anything put out by Marvel and DC but not as good as Prophet or Saga or some of the stuff coming out of Dark Horse right now.

But it's good that Prophet will last.  It does seem to be actually gaining a plot, though I was pretty happy with each issue on its own as a perfect slice of sci-fi weirdness. Though in a recent interview, Brandon Graham did mention that he had a finite number of issues in mind.

gdwessel

One thing that Graham et al have totally succeeded with in PROPHET is much what the British Writers (tm) did with all those old DC characters in the 80s/90s: taking total forgotten jokes of characters and doing mindblowing things with them. I mean, Die Hard, Badrock, frickin' TROLL are you KIDDING me? But the brilliant thing is, you don't HAVE to know of those old Liefeld characters to get into the pseudo-Euro-SF weirdness going on. In fact, it might be better if you don't.

Davek

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 30 November, 2012, 08:24:59 PM

My mistake.  I stand by my comments though (and that's coming from someone who was a massive Prophet fan only a few issues back).

gdwessel