Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalmarc

Hello folks, when will these be available in the shops, is it now? I know i could sub online but i want to use these as an excuse to start getting back into going into town and buying something rather than sit at home, i miss the adventure of going to the shop when something interesting comes out, nowadays i'm just like blah i will wait for the Internet to send it to me.  :lol:

Mattofthespurs

In the shops in mid to late August is my understanding (21st? Something like that).
I'll pick up a couple of extra issue 1's to distribute to some of the local schools in the area.
Did that for the Mega Collection and one school said it went down so well they ended up picking up quite a few volumes for their library.

Pete Wells

So have any existing subscribers managed to subscribe properly yet?

The Monarch

I see the dictators of zrag and thrill suckers behind the huge tharg does this mean we will get a volume of tharg stories like i wanted?

abelardsnazz

Quote from: metalmarc on 07 August, 2017, 08:59:55 PM
Hello folks, when will these be available in the shops, is it now? I know i could sub online but i want to use these as an excuse to start getting back into going into town and buying something rather than sit at home, i miss the adventure of going to the shop when something interesting comes out, nowadays i'm just like blah i will wait for the Internet to send it to me.  :lol:

First issue in shops August 23rd, then fortnightly alternating with the Mega Collection. I've already given my local Thrill-merchant the heads up.

Davgardo

Quote from: robert_ellis on 07 August, 2017, 04:33:24 PM
I'm glad it looks like the text pieces are continuing. The honest reappraisals of Dredd-world have been an eye opener.

Well I'd rather they didn't include rubbish in the 1st place: 'Yes we know Red Razors/Calhab Justice/Sleeze n Ryder/The Corps is crap but here it is anyway - thanks for your subscription'.

I really don't want to have to fork out to see Space Girls, Dinosty, Babe Race 2000 etc just so the intro/text piece can say how crap it was.

Richard

CalHab

I've been wondering whether to subscribe. Given that I already own four of the five advertised books, I think I'll probably just pick and choose. Obviously they plan on hooking new readers by including some big hitters early.

JaHawkDroid

Here's hoping the Thrill-Cast tomorrow gives more of an idea of what's included, and can help those on the fence.

I'm personally hoping for complete runs of major characters (Nemesis/Stronty/Slaine) and some anthologies of smaller stories and one-off volumes. This is an opportunity to truly be an Ultimate Collection and I hope it's not squandered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete Wells

At the risk of being Captain Obvious, looking at that spine, we have:

Fatties, Tharg, Dredd, Stront, Sam Slade, ABC's, Dante, Stickleback, Rogue, Ampney Crucis, Nemesis, Skizz, Savage, Shakara, Skizz, Cabalistics, Sinister Dexter, Kingdom, Slaine, Halo Jones, Zombo, Bad Company, Ace Trucking, and DR and Quinch.

I wonder how many complete runs of these we can fit into 80 books? My addled brain can't do the maths.

I also wonder, if we get Clint Langley's ABC Warriors, will we get his Prog strips or his luxury, Graphic Novel edition versions (drool!)

Swerty

I'm hoping for a VCs edition.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Davgardo on 08 August, 2017, 08:52:10 AMWell I'd rather they didn't include rubbish in the 1st place: 'Yes we know Red Razors/Calhab Justice/Sleeze n Ryder/The Corps is crap but here it is anyway - thanks for your subscription'. I really don't want to have to fork out to see Space Girls, Dinosty, Babe Race 2000 etc just so the intro/text piece can say how crap it was.
I agree. The Dredd collection has mostly been good, but there was really no need to fill several books with content that was objectively crap. (If you wanted to get a taste of some of such strips, find something representative and shove it in a volume that has appropriate context.)

In the context of 2000 AD, there are strips here that people will disagree on, with regards to their quality. I can take or leave an awful lot of Rogue Trooper, for example; but there's no argument at least some of that should be in the collection. But there's an awful lot of utter garbage in 2000 AD's history that shouldn't be let anywhere near this collection, even if some of it has some redeeming features (Junker's Ridgeway art, say, which was pretty good on the whole).

That all said, I suspect it's been a hell of a lot more difficult to balance 80 books across 2000 AD's entire history than 80 books for Dredd. When you look at what's available for Dreddworld strip, it was perhaps inevitable we'd get some crap. With 2000 AD, it would be a waste if we get Babe Race 2000, just to get Millar's name on the front of a book.

Quote from: Pete Wells on 08 August, 2017, 10:40:03 AMI wonder how many complete runs of these we can fit into 80 books? My addled brain can't do the maths.

I did some very back-of-an-envelope calculations already for the major series. Looking at your list, and ignoring all Dredd and Tharg (I'm assuming he's there as a figurehead, because I really hope they don't fill one of these books with Dictators of Zrag bollocks – just grab issue 63 of Best of 2000 AD on eBay if you want that), I estimate full runs of those series would be over 90 books. And that's not really entirely full, given that I'm ignoring anything Rogue Trooper outside of the classic/Rennie/War Machine runs, Robo-Hunter outside of the stuff in the phone books, and I suspect have massively underestimated the amount of Sin/Dex material that's knocking around.

I don't envy Matt on this one. It's going to be impossible to please everyone. At the very least, I hope if series are quite heavily abbreviated, we get some synopses this time, like in the Marvel collections. If you jump ahead three books of Nikolai Dante, that can't happen on a page turn – you must outline what the hell happened in the meantime. (The Dredd collection sometimes suffers with this, and leads to a few series being more or less incoherent unless you're armed with multiple books and some patience.)

Pyroxian

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 August, 2017, 11:41:52 AM
With 2000 AD, it would be a waste if we get Babe Race 2000, just to get Millar's name on the front of a book.

Especially as you could just reprint Maniac 5 or Silo which were pretty decent.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Pyroxian on 08 August, 2017, 11:55:50 AMEspecially as you could just reprint Maniac 5 or Silo which were pretty decent.
Objectively, I wouldn't have either of those in the mix if I had 80 books to play with, with page counts likely on average lower than those of the Dredd collections. (On the basis of those in the test run.) Silo was OK, but on a re-read is pretty derivative and mostly saved by the art. Maniac 5 was brainless throwaway fun at its best, and certainly something I'd happily re-read in the Meg floppy, but I don't need to pay 10 quid for a hardback collection.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Pete Wells on 07 August, 2017, 11:10:25 PM
So have any existing subscribers managed to subscribe properly yet?

I've just subscribed through the link on their page and gave up trying to add the subscriber number they sent me.