Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: BPP on 09 August, 2017, 11:16:50 PMWouldn't the complete Slaine be an awful lot of books?
It would. My estimate is 12–13. You could reorder some of classic Sláine and end up with eight volumes at ~220 pages each. Then assuming two new Sláine volumes per book, you have another four to take you through to Psychopomp. Then Book of Scars needs to go somewhere.

I suppose with Sláine, it depends on what people would need to get the best of the strip. Frankly, they could probably skip from Horned God to Book of Invasions, along with omitting Scars, and not really miss much. (That would then be, what, six books?) But you must also be mindful that Sláine is undoubtedly one of 2000 AD's big hitters. It makes sense for his exploits to take up a fairly big chunk of the collection.

Quote from: Skullmo on 10 August, 2017, 09:11:49 AMReally hope they release them in reading order
Wasn't there another post here that said this would be the case? Frankly, it's inexcusable if they don't with continuity-heavy strips. I get that hook, in wanting people to continue with the partwork, but that already happens by providing series piecemeal anyway (and the books being released 'out of order'). There's no need to go for the reader-hostile route of: "You already have parts 5, 8 and 2 of Dante, and so here's part... 7! Part 1? Oh, you'll get that next year."

As I recall, the Marvel partwork dealt with this reasonably well, in terms of multi-volume books (although they are fewer in number, and based around arcs rather than characters). The Transformers one doesn't care in the slightest (which given the continuity hell within that strip – or set of strips – will be 'interesting' for those collecting it).

IndigoPrime

I just had a go at compiling my ideal line-up, and it's basically impossible to fit into 80 books, which says a lot for the quality of 2000 AD's output. (I got it down to 86, with some omissions that probably wouldn't go down terribly well here). One thing that sprang to mind, though, is that the following work rather nicely:

Peter Milligan does 2000 AD (Hewligan's Haircut, Sooner or Later, Tribal memories. The Dead): one book
John Smith (Cradlegrave, Leatherjack, Firekind, Revere ): two books of material

It'd be lovely to find some of those tucked away later in the series, when it's gone subs-only (rather than still being drive quite a lot by newsstand).

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 August, 2017, 10:07:34 AM

Peter Milligan does 2000 AD (Hewligan's Haircut, Sooner or Later, Tribal memories. The Dead) Bix Barton: one book

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 August, 2017, 10:07:34 AM
Peter Milligan does 2000 AD (Hewligan's Haircut, Sooner or Later, Tribal memories. The Dead): one book
John Smith (Cradlegrave, Leatherjack, Firekind, Revere ): two books of material

Lawks, those would be among the greatest comic book collections ever assembled. Especially the Smith. I presume this is in addition to the Bad Company, Indigo Prime and Tyranny Rex volumes? And what about Swifty's Return?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 August, 2017, 10:44:39 AMLawks, those would be among the greatest comic book collections ever assembled. Especially the Smith. I presume this is in addition to the Bad Company, Indigo Prime and Tyranny Rex volumes? And what about Swifty's Return?
In my list o' wishes, Swifty's Return 'is' Sooner or Later (as in, within that page count). I had Indigo Prime down for two volumes (although that would need some filler) and Tyranny Rex for one. Bad Company I only included up to the end of the original b+w run (i.e. before that weird colour one, and omitting any of the more recent stuff).

But, yeah, given that some of the John Smith stuff hasn't been collected bar in floppies/Extreme Editions, I'd especially love to see Firekind in this collection (and Revere also, although I realise that one's divisive). And the Milligan stuff, too.

JaHawkDroid

Just want to take a moment to blame this collection for my upcoming bankruptcy. Re-started both my monthly Prog/Meg subscription and my Mega Collection subscription because I've got a bit more disposable than I did back in March, and I'm fully back aboard the 2000AD wagon. Dammit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mute77

So torn with the new collections. The dredd partworks was easier to dismiss because i'd gone down the case files route but a complete Dante and Bad Co in hardcover are very tempting.

Swerty

ABC Warriors with the colour centre spreads like the mek files.It looks like 9 volumes for those.

IndigoPrime

Yeah. 700 pages of Langley-illustrated ABC Warriors so far, so that's at least three books. About the same of classic-era. Then solo missions – although Deadlock would probably be better welded on to the end of Nemesis. Ro-Busters, if complete, would likely be two books (as per the hardbacks).

JaHawkDroid

I'm probably the minority here, but I hope this collection does follow the complete run route for the characters it features. I wouldn't want half of ABC Warriors, then need to pick up some random trades/phone books for the rest.
I'd prefer a smaller character selection with longer storylines.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 August, 2017, 11:23:26 AMI'd especially love to see Firekind in this collection
Although, on the basis of what's in the podcast, it presumably won't be. Rats.

(Matt mentions mainly going for big characters, and collections that fit within the page count demands, which are apparently 200–250. Ampney Crucis and Stickleback have been mentioned as modern strips to balance the big guns out. Double bills have been used in some cases, as already noted, for shorter series – although not Firekind in this initial run.)

Skullmo

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 10 August, 2017, 01:59:03 PM
I'm probably the minority here, but I hope this collection does follow the complete run route for the characters it features. I wouldn't want half of ABC Warriors, then need to pick up some random trades/phone books for the rest.
I'd prefer a smaller character selection with longer storylines.

I personally will pick up the books that have not been reprinted before. I would love to have a collection of ABC Warriors Black hole that had better scans than the ones used in the Mek Files - which was very poor.
It's a joke. I was joking.

JaHawkDroid

As a whole, the repro in the Mega Collection was pretty great. Can't think of any terrible examples off-hand, so hoping this series will match/exceed that

Skullmo

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 10 August, 2017, 03:41:42 PM
As a whole, the repro in the Mega Collection was pretty great. Can't think of any terrible examples off-hand, so hoping this series will match/exceed that

There were a lot of issues with the total war and day of chaos volumes, I still dont have one with blurring in it. A lot of the earlier art had bleaching issues in the scan - the linework in Father earth springs  to mind.

It's a joke. I was joking.

IndigoPrime

I'd say the majority of issues in the JDMC had repro that could be considered good or better. Some older coloured strips had moire, but not to the degree Rebellion content used to (that first Swimming in Blood – *shudder*), and a few b+w strips clearly need some kind of re-scan. But, again, if you want to stare truly terrible repro in the face, take a look at the eye-openingly appalling mess IDW made of Marvel-era Transformers.