Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 13 February, 2012, 01:27:18 AM
Quote from: jock on 12 February, 2012, 11:23:54 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 12 February, 2012, 12:14:46 PM
Quote from: chuffsteruk on 12 February, 2012, 12:11:21 PM
Regarding the 20th century van in the chase clip-perhaps it's a stand in van,pre-fx,much like the motorcycles in this behind the scenes clip from Terminator Salvation`?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrbYD32toM
Hmmm brains a bit scrambled, so just to be clear the VAN will appear or wont appear in the movie ?
Not that ive got anything about vans mind :)
No.

Yes

Thank Grud for that.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Crapcakes, my text didnt come out.

So just to make it clear for unintelligable (In this case me) will the van appear or not ?
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Misanthrope

Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 13 February, 2012, 02:10:55 AM
Crapcakes, my text didnt come out.

So just to make it clear for unintelligable (In this case me) will the van appear or not ?

I gather from what has been said, no.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Beaky Smoochies

Regarding the 20th century van in the chase clip-perhaps it's a stand in van,pre-fx,much like the motorcycles in this behind the scenes clip from Terminator Salvation`?
No.
Yes

Go Jock, straight from the horse's mouth (as someone who's ACTUALLY SEEN finished footage of the film), and no small relief, it has to be said!  In regards to 'the van shot' in question, including the somewhat sparse skyline, people (including myself, in a moment of doubt, sorry DNA guys) need to realise that whilst it may only have a budget of some $45m, it was shot in South Africa, meaning that $45m is going to be look more like $90m-plus when all is said and done, and considering Michaelvk once described on here the new Mega-City one as looking like "London's Canary Wharf on steroids", and that it looked "amazing", plus the fact Alex Garland himself stated they wanted to achieve "all the scale and spectacle" of the Big Meg onscreen, not to mention the fact John Wagner, Carlos Ezquerra, Jock, and Dave Gibbons have all expressed unabashed approval of what they've seen so far, I think I'll side with Joe on this one, that shot is not the finished article, and the final movie is going to be a visual tour-de-force (with a darker and more neo-noirish tone, not the out-and-out spectacle of the 1995 debacle), my faith is restored, roll on the teaser trailer...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

chuffsteruk

No.

Yes

YES!!!I KNEW it!!

dracula1

Could the thought be to lower expectation initially? (why not use stuff from the films development stages to promote it and increase awareness)  . . .  then BAM! all the juicy refined stuff appears nearer the time to cause a pre-release frenzy! :P

radiator

a) that would be a terrible strategy for promoting a film.

b) These leaks aren't official - they were put on a compositor's showreel, and have now been taken down, presumably by order of the filmmaker's lawyers.

Steve Green

I think that's reading too much into it.

The simple answer seems to be that a compositor (who can't tell the difference between Batman and Superman, and has worked on Harry 'Porter' according to his reel) didn't know that you shouldn't put unreleased work on your reel.

I don't think it's part of some grand plan. Just events.

dracula1

Whatever the promo method used there is definitely a buzz round DREDD at the moment.  Friends of mine that didn't really know this film was in the offing are now chatting about it on Facebook.

norse_sage

I'm thinking viral marketing here too.

Just seems a bit too co-incidental. Somehow hwo has worked on all those movies in the reel would surely know better.

Nice way to get early some buzz out, prior to a teaser wich most be attached to the right movie, and the more graphic pictures have successfully generated more positive hype and awareness beyond the existing fanbase than any other picture, interview or announcement so far.

Michaelvk

Nice to see you taking some leave from fighting the good fight at IMDB, Norse..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JOE SOAP

Quote from: norse_sage on 13 February, 2012, 11:44:15 AM

Just seems a bit too co-incidental. Somehow hwo has worked on all those movies in the reel would surely know better.

If they knew better they wouldn't have put incomplete shots up that are unrepresentative of the final product.

Gonk

No. No way is an internet forum the way to promote your new product.
coming at a cinema near you soon

norse_sage

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 February, 2012, 12:00:28 PM
Quote from: norse_sage on 13 February, 2012, 11:44:15 AM

If they knew better they wouldn't have put incomplete shots up that are unrepresentative of the final product.

For an official campaign geared toward the general audience, true, there's no way they would do that.
But as a way of spreading the word that the movie won't pull any punches to the niche audience discussing movies on various online webforum, why not?

Unoffical spyshots and what not have a way of getting out, and so those that have made the rounds (like the fat stuntguy on the less than well recieved lawmaster) haven't done the movie any favours. But I would say that these new pictures and even clips have.

They've been making the rounds in all the usual places, Anderson looks good in all of them, Dredd looks good in at least one of them, and we've got two headshots. The movie is being discussed all over the place, not all good mind you, but it isn't being universally smalled either. For a movie with the history this one has, that is really as good as it gets.

I would say that the recent pictures and gifs have created more awareness and hype with niche audiences beyond the 2000AD crowd than any previously released still, interview or announcement combined. They've even turned some of the Stallone fans formerly trolling the Dredd imdb board into converts!

If indeed this was a random leak, it couldn't have worked out better for them even if they had planned it.
Which leads me to speculate that that was just what they did.

dracula1

Here!  here!  Sire!