Main Menu

Steve Sampson original artwork !

Started by abc warrior, 09 February, 2008, 06:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

I am glad I aint the only one who doesn't get sampsons work, he ruined Anderson (for me anyway).

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Large48

Well, some of artwork is generally pants, poster paint stuff that kids would do at school.

BUT, I also have some lovely pages that he has done and even a differnet Buffy one that came out nice.

So some good, some bad, a bit like all artists I guess.
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Banners

:: ...he ruined Anderson (for me anyway).

Whereas Steve Sampson drew the definitive Anderson to my mind...!

M@

TordelBack

For me, some of Sampson's stuff works very well, some doesn't - in the right place, with the right subject, it's great.  He certainly drew a very attractive Anderson, even if I didn't care for other elements of his strip work.  As others have said, it's static - and that's obviously an intentional aspect of his work.

And Matthew brings up the old chestnut - we obviously behave a bit like we're having a chat over a pint here, with flippant remarks, rants and flights of fancy.  It wouldn't be any fun if everything we said had to be as considered as an open letter or published editorial, but the reality is that that's exactly what it is.  

It's very hard to know how to move beyond this point - I don't want to type each post as if I was making a press release, but I am increasingly conscious that this is far from a private snug.

Leigh S

Well I expect you'd find his Anderson attractive if you liked Liz Hurley, Kim Basinger, Madonna or whoever he was using photos of at the time - not that I object to using photo ref, but using well known posed images that just dont fit at all... that or obvious catalogue models just standing about - take your own photo refs dammit!  

Personally, Sampsons got to be a bottom 5 artist for me, on those grouinds alone, let alone the actual quality of the painting on top.

Roger Godpleton

Surely I'm the one everyone should blame, not Umpty?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

Don't be a martyr, Simpleton. No, it's Umpty who's at fault. And I'm thinking "there but for the grace of God...", because, you know, right before Umpty got in there and made me chuckle at his audacity, I held back from making an unflattering onservation of my own, to the effect that I had followed the link and couldn't really tell what I was looking at.

As for photo reference, I thought perhaps a weeble with some scalpel blades sellotaped to it, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, thank God I said nothing, in light of the row that seems to have blown up since Uncle Umpty said his (ring) piece. And Matthew, I think you may only have made things worse by drawing attention to it.
STRIKE !!!

MatthewBadham

I thought the point worth making and I thought the debate that followed informed and intelligent and worth having. I still stand by what I've written already. However, didn't mean to p*ss anyone off.

Cheers, everyone, for your considered input. Likewise, cheers, Umpty, for your responses.

My original post probably came off the back of reading a 2000 AD Review thread where they were discussing Dave Stone's Armitage and then who should pop up, but Dave Stone.

Matt

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Matt Timson

Pffft...

dweezil2

Come on guys! Knock it off! Can't we just get back to lambasting Pat Mills like normal.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Buttonman

You know what Oscar Wilde said about being talked about.

He was largely in favour.

Proudhuff

There are a couple of Artists whose artisn't my bucket of gruel, but i certainly feel one shouldn't slag them in a 'that's shit' way as thats a shit was of slagging.

contaryhuff
DDT did a job on me

satchmo

Proudhuff is such a shit message boarder.

Byron Virgo

"Dave Stone? He's shit..."

You should hear what some of his fellow droids think of him (or see what Garth Ennis wrote on his forehead)...