Main Menu

Comic binder help wanted.

Started by SmallBlueThing(Reborn), 07 August, 2020, 10:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Right- here's the thing. I have this idea of putting together a binder of the US comics that were released with a cover date of the month my boys were born.

What a lovely idea/ haha, knob! I hear you mutter. Thing is, I'm completely clueless about finding the right kind if binder. US sized, holds between ten and twenty issues, corded so no bags have to be involved, reasonably affordable, etc. Any of yous guys n gals have a handy link? Any recommendations that you have used?

SBT

Colin YNWA

In no way acknowledging what you said in quite some detail but have you considered an actual binding service. Chief who used to come to these parts used to take comics to his local binders, they would prep them and turn out these absolutely lovely bound volumes.

Might push it over the prices mark you were thinking, but from a quick look I can't see any cord binders like you get for The Phoenix and Tooth anywhere. A few with plastic wallets, but they are quite ugly if you ask me.

I suspect the issue might be for collectors this isn't a thing, as putting them into cord binders will cause some spine stress and thus however careful you are cause damage and GOD FORBID reduce the value they don't really have in most cases anyway.

By the way this is a lovely idea.

IndigoPrime

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Thanks for reading and for the help sirs. The route of getting them professionally bound hadn't occurred to me, as I was thinking with my wallet, but it may be the way I have to go. I think you may be right Colin, about Cordex binders and US comics. Sadly, on going through a few boxes of stuff I've not opened in twenty years, I found the majority of comics that have sat unbagged and unboarded all that time are in exactly the same condition as those that had been snuggled by Mylar. Very distressing considering the amount of cash I've spent on cardboard and plastic over the years.

Will have to drop a line to the book binder and see what can be done. Again, thanks.

SBT

rogue69

matty_ae

Spink & Thackeray are certainly now open if operating on reduced staff.
A simple binding with just typeface on the spine is probably around £27 + p&p
A logo stamp another £5 ish (as long as the die exists)

I'd recommend them - they absorbed Hollingsworth & Moss

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

That's brilliant, many thanks. And now I'm looking at my WHOLE COMIC COLLECTION and wondering how much would it cost me... no, no, that way madness lies.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Quote from: matty_ae on 12 August, 2020, 12:33:23 PM
Spink & Thackeray are certainly now open if operating on reduced staff.
A simple binding with just typeface on the spine is probably around £27 + p&p
A logo stamp another £5 ish (as long as the die exists)

I'd recommend them - they absorbed Hollingsworth & Moss

Did you have to cut the pages out the comic yourself our can you send then the complete comics. That was always the bit that scared me chopping the comics up myself.

matty_ae

Hi Colin
You just send them the whole comic. They take the staples out etc.
They'll stitch them together, minimally trim the edges and put a cover on them.

leethomson

Hollingworth & Moss did an amazing job on about 20 books for me. The prices at https://www.spinkandthackray.com/comic-book-binding/ look about the same. Take a look at https://twitter.com/theguysthatbind for some samples.

TordelBack

IndigoPrime

Warning: do NOT go to that Twitter thread and look through the samples, unless you have a shit-ton of self-discipline or a very healthy bank balance.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 August, 2020, 01:33:36 PM
Warning: do NOT go to that Twitter thread and look through the samples, unless you have a shit-ton of self-discipline or a very healthy bank balance.

Oh F*&k me I should have read that warning - TO THE NERD CAVE...

IndigoPrime

I looked at that Hellboy one they did and am now eyeing up my SC Lucifer and Atomic Robo trades. This won't end well.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I hate this forum. I say I hate it and I hate you all. Especially you, IndigoPrime. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SHOW ME THAT?!?

<Sobs uncontrollably>

Did you see those 2000AD slipcase things? That's exactly what I want for the whole run! That's my "when I win the lotto" idle daydream right there. Bollocks.

SBT