Main Menu

The 1995 Mangafication of Judge Dredd

Started by JOE SOAP, 02 October, 2017, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

I've never seen anything like it, but I'm impressed all the way. Manga Dredd would be a new direction for Joe and Co though I doubt Rebellion is working on anything like this at the moment. Maybe Manga Dredd could arrest Roy of the Rovers on some drunken Footballer binge drinking spree!   
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Steve Green

Thank Grud there's not a Hentai Pirates of the Black Atlantic... Arrrr.

The Adventurer

Is there any attempt underway to get an actual print copy in someone's hands to archiving? Because whoa damn, that's a big question mark solved.

I don't know how possible it could be, but 45 pages? That'd fit in a Megazine Floppy no problem! (a special, back to front, right to left issue). Its in Shonen Jump, if Rebellion has any friends at VIZ media, they might know who to talk to to get original elements.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

radiator

Haha, amazing.

I remember Tharg once saying on the letters page(?) maybe 20+ years ago that there was a Manga version of Dredd in which he was a teacher, and I could never tell if that was a joke or not.

Hawkmumbler

No problem Senior Tordels, the basic story appears to be that Fargo has called Joe back to Mega-City 1 to pilot the giant cyborg clone of Vienna so GET IN THE GODDAMN ROBOT DRED-oh, thats Evangelion. My bad.

Joking aside i'm absolutely flawed that possibly the most elusive THING in entire 2000AD canon has at last been found, after a few too many nights scouring Ebay.jp i'm only frustrated that Joe Bloody Soep's got it before me!

Just joking fellah, you did Gruds work!

The Adventurer

I remember looking at SJ covers on Comicvine half a year ago, around the right time frame, for clues to the issue in question. Of course it was in a seasonal special, and of course the cover appears to have been on ComicVine since December 2016, with Dredd's mug right there!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Adventurer on 02 October, 2017, 11:43:30 PM
I remember looking at SJ covers on Comicvine half a year ago, around the right time frame, for clues to the issue in question. Of course it was in a seasonal special, and of course the cover appears to have been on ComicVine since December 2016, with Dredd's mug right there!

It never seemed to turn up on Mandarake, ebay or anywhere else that was easily searchable, even with all accurate details, but I eventually found the cover in this July 2016 tweet – which I assume is the original source image comicvine eventually ended up taking – and possibly the only findable image of it, I believe, on the web at the time.

Knowing the cover and the full Japanese text of the issue's title I filtered variations of them through google images looking for any references and also online Japanese vendors. This took a long time to come up with the exact issue – possibly due to low print runs as the seasonal specials ended the next year, or them getting binned as disposable comics. Eventually I found one copy in a shop but had to buy it through proxy buyer.

The Adventurer

shaolin_monkey

Amazing stuff!

It's like a Dredd/Power Rangers mash-up!!

Spaceghost

With my limited skills in Japanese, I can only glean the bare bones of this, but here's what I sussed -

The year is 2099, the place is Mega City Tokyo.
There's an evil organisation called 'Chaos' terrorizing the city.
Dredd's first name is Takeru.
The Judges appear to be either volunteers or a kind of super-hero team, because Dredd's day job is indeed primary school teacher.
The younger Judge is called Daniel and has just joined the Judges.

I'll see if I can get a better translation later.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Link Prime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 October, 2017, 07:40:56 PM
The beloved hue and texture of bog-paper remains

Make sure to remind your loved ones that an eco-friendly bog paper coffin is your preferred burial choice.

SuperSurfer

Discussed on this old MANGA DREDD thread where this was posted by M.I.K.:

QuoteNecropostifying 'cos I just found this in the March '96 issue of Anime FX magazine...

(Photobucket image working for now.)

I wonder if Jonathan Clements did give his lowdown.

The Adventurer

Necrabump, aany chance of getting the rest of this scanned and archived? Because it's really cool!

maryanddavid

As featured in Hibernia's Fantastic Adventure 🙂